Lyrica nightmare/Neurontin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BeanyMalone, Mar 19, 2009.

1. BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone New Member

So the Lyrica turned out to be a big resounding scary flop. If anything it intensified the fibro and it becomes addicting very quickly..when I stopped taking it I got sick and had flu-like pain in my legs. Just overall yucky. Today the dr. put me on neurontin which I will begin tomorrow night, so i can have the weekend to adjust. Anyone have any thoughts on Neurontin?
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I was reading through some back posts and see that you were going to start neurontin. Did you start it and did it help you? Any bad side effects? I have just been prescribed neurontin and haven't started it yet. Still debating it! What dose are you on. Thanks. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2009]
  3. debilyn

debilyn New Member

...for 2 years. My pain management doc just put me on Lyrica. I'm starting my 3rd week, and I don't like it much. I have bad side effects such as dizziness, brain fog (like I need more of fog), cold sweats, debilitating sleepiness.

I didn't think the Neurontin was working much, but I don't think the Lyrica is doing anything for the pain and the side effects for me are way worse.

Beany, what were your Lyrica side effects?

I'm thinking about going back to Neurontin. The thing is that the dose has to be so high; whereas, with Lyrica, one can take much less (supposedly) with better pain relief. I've not experienced that, though.

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

All of those "dangerous" meds are needed for many!

A lot of people who can't take one, can sometimes take the other. Mom was on Lyrica, did "okay", she's now on Neurontin and doing much better. Also the generic is very affordable.
    She doesn't have Fibro, but has severe nerve pain.
    I'd certainly give it a try. Yes the dose is higher, but that's cause Lyrica is just stronger in a lower dose. Don't let a higher "number" (in dosage) make any difference to you.
    See how you do on it for a month.
  5. tuba

tuba New Member

Yes, I am taking neurontin. Have been for several years after cymbalta stopped working for me. Started out on 3 pills a day. & now I am on 4 pills a day. Luckily, it works well for me & no side effects. Best of luck to you. Don't get discouraged. Julie
  6. dannybex

dannybex Member

Drugs can certainly be helpful -- and yes 'needed' for awhile, especially if pain is really bad and keeping one from sleeping -- but please keep in mind, most of them do absolutely nothing to address the many different causes of CFS or Fibro. They last for 4-8 hours, (and may deplete glutathione, or iron, or lower red blood cells or white blood cells, etc., in the process) and then you have to take them again when the pain returns.

It's important to try and find out what is contributing to your pain or fatigue. Yes, that can be extremely difficult, especially since most docs either don't know what to test for or the insurance won't cover the tests -- but -- there are things we can change, or at least try, like making dietary changes, finding out if there is hidden mold in our homes (the American Lung Association has a FREE program for that), and looking into mineral or vitamin issues which might help.

After all, these chronic conditions aren't a result of a drug deficiency. But yes, they might be needed for awhile...

p.s. Several in our support group tried lyrica...some felt a lot better for a few weeks, but the increased brain fog was the main problem, and most had to stop it.