lyrica or cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pansygirl, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I am currently taking elavil (for the depression that this dd causes)
    and tramadol for my FM pain.

I did try cymbalta last summer but it made my stomach feel like it was
    on fire so I didn't stay on it~ I had a bleeding stomach ulcer 4 yrs ago so
    I worry about my stomach.

I have been in a bad flare for several weeks and am contemplating asking
    my doctor when I see him next week if I can try Lyrica but all the side effects
    scare me, so I keep changing my mind. any advice?

How many of you have less pain on cymbalta and or lyrica?

Thanks , Susan

2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

thanks for your reply. How much Vitamin D do you take Jaminhealth?

I do take vitamins daily that I feel help me to a certain amount. I feel like I need
    to get my pain levels under control so I can function for my kids and husband.
    So I feel caught somewhere in the middle between taking meds and not.

I have my yearly checkup with my doctor in early June so will get lots of bloodwork
    done then.

next week I'm actually taking my daughter in for shots( to get her immunizations current)
    so since I was going to see my doctor face to face I am hoping to have a few minutes to talk to him.

Thanks Susan
  3. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Lyrica seems to really help me. The only side effect I have seen is a little weight gain! I'm trying to lose this weight now but if I can't I may have to quit the Lyrica. But, if you need it I'd try it!
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

ck out NY post article on doc falseifing lyrica for pain. its on here.
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

How long have you taken Lyrica?

Thanks, Susan
  6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been on Lyrica for over 3 years and I have no intentions of stopping this med. It has helped me immensely!! Yes there were some side effects at the beginning but they went away after a few weeks as my body got used to the medication.

It has help with my nerve pain, my IBS, my stomach problems and helps with muscle spasms.

I wouldn't say that it is a miracle drug because I do have to take it in conjunction with other drugs but it is a very important part of my regime.

I can't imagine going a day without Lyrica now.
  7. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

I've been taking Lyrica for about 6 -9 months. I really didn't have too many side effects except for some constipation which I got control of with fiber and flax seed, and the weight gain. But,it has helped me a lot. to me it's worth it. My only problem is my co pay on it is $163 (for 3 months)!!! Ouch!
  8. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Hi pansygirl, I have been on Lyrica for around 2 and ahalf years and have not had many side effects except for the weight and the cost. The pain factor isnt complete either as I also take other over the counter painkillers as well.
    I wish you well and think its well worth trying it as it may just work for the better for you as well

Good luck

angel hugs
    Connie
  9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

dragon06 , scrappnmon, and harmony21 for your replies, I appreciate them very much.

I need to check on the cost factor ~ that might end up being an issue too(as we have terrible insurance) , not excited about weight gain .

need to think on this some more. Will let you know what I decide.

Gentle hugs,Susan

10. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Just wanted to let you know that when my Hubby was still in school and we had no money to pay for drugs (and crappy insurance) I went to the Patient Assistance part of Pfizer and filled out an application that allowed me to receive Lyrica free for over a year until my hubby graduated, got a good job with good insurance. So you might want to try this...also I know that some pharmacies like Walgreens offer a prescription card that saves you 10% on each prescription...it's not a lot but it is something. There are a lot of avenues for reducing your prescriptions costs and I would be happy to give you more information if you need it as I have more.

And by the way...I have never gained 1 pound because of Lyrica in the entire time I have taken it.