Lyrica pain study FABRICATED

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by satchya, Mar 12, 2009.

1. satchya

satchya New Member

I heard this on the radio this morning, and had to look it up in the Wall Street Journal because I couldn't believe my ears. This is big news for all of us, I think, especially those with fibromyalgia whose doctors have been insisting that if they just take Lyrica they'll feel all better (or that they should be feeling all better because they are already taking Lyrica).
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

That doctor should get jail time for that.

Bextra did something awful to me, permanently. After I tried it, I started to get asthma if I ever dared to take aspirin or NSAIDS. I never had the asthma prior to that when I would take those pain relievers. And it happens to this day, even though I only took Bextra for a short time about seven years ago.

Celebrex and Vioxx were awful. I remember laying on the couch after taking Celebrex and praying I wouldn't die from the drug because it made me so sick. I was sick for three days after taking it. It even felt like my intestines were going to explode. It was bad.

So now we know why most of these drugs don't work. The studies are false.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It is sickening, but not surprising.....I've read about enough other issues with the way that drugs get approved that it does not surprise me at's really all about the bottom line
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

My psychiatrist keeps asking me to take Lyrica, and I don't even have pain issues anymore! He just wants to "help me", and I've known him long enough to know that's true, but it still drives me crazy. I know he's a caring doc and all he hears is "fibro" and "FDA approved Lyrica" and puts the two together.

I'm going to make a copy of the article for my next visit, and the next time he mentions it, I'm going to calmly pull out the article and hand it to him. This should be an interesting next visit!

Thanks again Satchya!

Have a great day,

5. 3gs

3gs New Member

6. That's about all I can say thus far... since, having read that article, I still feel my blood absolutely boiling over it..

Anyhow, I too, am sadly, not surprised.. just mad as HE**... again.

Especially since I was put on Lyrica (had severe seizure-like episodes at each dose, but, at 300mgs, the pain clinic told me on the phone to quit it... immediately- no weaning, stop it right then, due to the severity of the 'seizure-like' episode I'd had the night before), and also previously Effexor XR, both, for 'pain' and to 'help sleep'...

Effexor XR screwed my heart up, among other things, but, I have been on atenolol ever since 2 months after *correctly* weaning off 150mgs of that junk. Yes, *two months* later, I was still having all SORTS of heart issues... and my doctor did a holter monitor, found tachycardia, palpitations, and in her exam room, through her stethoscope heard skips, as well as a double beat or two, in just 15 (?) seconds or so, of listening.

Take care all... I hope this "top pain scientist" FRIES. But, I completely doubt that.

Wish people could SUE his A##. I was previously on Vioxx and celebrex, too.

7. This makes me mad, I am taking lyrica and had to go down to a low dose and the dr is NOT happy with me. It does help the horrid head pain I was having in the back of my head. Other than that my hips and back hurt like H@LL!

has anyone else heard or read about this on tv or newspapers?
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

That's outrageous. You're having bad side effects from Lyrica, and your doc is mad at you for lowering the dosage? I don't get it. Last time I checked it was OUR BODY and OUR CHOICE. Good grief.

Hugs to all,

9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Very sorry to hear about the terrible side effects that you experienced from both the Lyrica AND Effexor. Hope you are much better now.

10. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I saw this, too, & was so enraged. I definitely think the clinical trials should be redone & advertising for Lyrica, etc. should be pulled while these lies are reviewed in depth!

Here's a snipet of what I saw today on the AP news.

BOSTON - A Massachusetts anesthesiologist has been accused of fabricating results in nearly two dozen published studies that claimed to show after-surgery benefits from painkillers including Vioxx and Celebrex.

Dr. Scott Reuben, who is on leave from Springfield's Baystate Medical Center, studied the use of more than one type of drug to relieve pain and speed recover after surgery.

Baystate said a routine review in May found that some of Reuben's research was not approved by an internal hospital review board. Further investigation found 21 papers published in anesthesiology journals between 1996 and 2008 in which Reuben made up some or all data.

"Dr. Reuben deeply regrets that this happened," his attorney, Ingrid Martin, said. "Dr. Reuben co-operated fully with the peer review committee. There were extenuating circumstances that the committee fairly and justly considered."

The hospital has asked the journals to retract the studies, some of which reported favourable results from painkillers including Pfizer Inc.'s Bextra, Celebrex and Lyrica and Merck & Co. Inc.'s Vioxx. His studies also claimed Wyeth's antidepressant Effexor could be used as a painkiller.

Pfizer gave Reuben five research grants between 2002 and 2007. He also was a member of the company's speakers bureau, giving talks about Pfizer drugs to colleagues.

11. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

If you don't have pain issues anymore, why is your psychiatrist trying to push meds on you? Trying to help is not a valid reason if there is not a problem there that needs such help....taking meds is risky enough when people need them, but if the need is not there, then he is just trying to subject you to unnecessary risk, potential side effects, etc - that is NOT helping!

Also, if you don't have pain issues anymore, how did you get rid of the pain?
  12. zenouchy how DID you get rid of your pain? Is it from guaifensin? I took it for awhile and did feel better, maybe I need to start it again.

13. 3gs

3gs New Member

bumping for runnerkarie
  14. painfreesoon

painfreesoon New Member

Lyrica just made all my symptoms worse,plus I got swollen feet and blurred vision to boot!

One of my doctor's say's only about 33% of his FM patients can tolerate it, that great for them, but i hope to find something better.

By the way, with all the side effect's i got very little pain relief. not enough to put up w/all the neg. effects, and I have SEVERE pain.

best to you,
  15. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Thirty percent is an awfully low percentage when you are talking about treating a large population of suffering people. Sixty percent would still be low. Sixty-five percent might be considered more acceptable. But a low thirty is not good enough to keep pushing this drug.

Then there is the question of why does it help some people and not others? I think that's a huge question that needs to be answered.
  16. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I've been on Lyrica for almost 2 years now, maybe longer. I'm at a very high dose of 600 mg a day - and in flareups I take more, against doctor's advice of course. But - this drug works for me. When I try to reduce it or I forget a dose, the pain bounces back tenfold.
  17. tabby8

tabby8 New Member

for later. I'm on Lyrica and I have to talk to my doctor!
  18. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Read "Side Effects" by Boston Globe reporter Alison Bass, about the marketing of Paxil for use in children. Here's a blurb about the book:

"Expanding on her reporting for the Boston Globe, Bass focuses on psychiatrist Martin Teicher, who as early as 1988 noticed that the antidepressant Prozac seemed paradoxically to cause suicidal thoughts in his patients, and the nearly blind Rose Firestein, a lawyer in the New York State attorney general's office who was investigating the inappropriate marketing and use of Paxil for unapproved purposes. Drug companies insisted there was no scientific evidence whatsoever linking GlaxoSmithKline's Paxil, Ely Lilly's Prozac and other serotonin-increasing antidepressants to suicidal thoughts and behavior, and Bass describes the dogged battle to show that company researchers had deliberately suppressed the results of trials with negative outcomes. Bass also follows the story of Tonya Brooks, an unhappy teenager who attempted suicide while taking Paxil. Although the story sometimes gets lost in the details of then attorney general Eliot Spitzer's 2004 suit against GlaxoSmithKline (eventually settled for $2.5 million), this story of determined do-gooders is inspiring."

Unfortunately, the FDA really is in bed with the pharmaceutical companies. Testimony of one of the FDA's own scientists which showed a negative light on Paxil was suppressed by the FDA itself (it later came out in the NY lawsuit). It's enlightening and frightening reading.

Here's one more blurb about the book: "Side Effects is a serious indictment of the pharmaceutical industry, clinical researchers, and government regulators, told in captivating prose. It makes you worry about the authenticity of the evidence that doctors use from day to day." -- Dr. Jerome Kassirer, Distinguished Professor at Tufts University School of Medicine, former Editor-in-Chief of New England Journal of Medicine, and author of On the Take: How Medicine's Complicity with Big Business Can Endanger Your Health

[This Message was Edited on 09/20/2009]
  19. meowee

meowee New Member

Why does this not suprise me? I thought from the beginning Lyrica was a bust. I ended up in the ER after I started taking it.

My pain dr. thinks it's FABULOUS as the drug company has bought her off.

This is terrible news, but not new.

Thank you for posting.