Lyrica promising Fibro pain therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Dec 6, 2006.

1. In case you didn't see this

Major Trial Concludes Pregabalin (Lyrica®) Promising FM Pain Therapy
    by Editor
    ImmuneSupport.com

11-22-2006

Research presented at the 2006 American College of Rheumatology Scientific Meeting points to significant, extended pain relief for many FM patients with the drug pregabalin (Lyrica®).

A series of large clinical trials at the University of Kentucky, Lexington, indicates the drug pregabalin (Lyrica®) - already approved in the U.S. to treat nerve pain and seizures - is also an effective pain relief therapy for many Fibromyalgia patients, with generally mild to moderate side-effects.

Further, the researchers report, their latest 6-1/2 month placebo controlled, double blinded study indicated that for a significant proportion of the FM patients the drug's therapeutic benefit endured for an extended period of time.

As Crofford, et al. explained in presenting their findings* to the annual American College of Rheumatology meeting in Washington, DC, November 10-15, 2006:

In Phase One, 1,051 Fibromyalgia patients received daily does of Pregabalin for 6 weeks. These patients had been diagnosed with FM for an average of 7.8 years, all had "washed out" other forbidden medications from their systems, and measured their baseline pain severity at an average of 78 on the 100-point Visual Analog Scale (VAS). This overall study cohort was 93 percent female and 88 percent white, with an average age of 50 years.

The patients received daily doses of either 300, 450, or 600 mg, depending on which proved best given tracking of the individual's pain control/medication tolerance.

At the end of the six-week program, 63 percent (663 of the 1,051) reported a reduction in pain severity of more than 50 percent - and assessed their pain as either "much improved" or "very much improved." But how much of this was owing to a common phenomenon - the "placebo effect," reflecting patients' belief that the therapy is working? And would the drug's pain relieving effect endure for an extended period? A second phase was designed to help answer these questions.

In Phase Two, which lasted 6-1/2 months (26 weeks), 556 of the patients who had reported pain reduction of more than 50 percent were randomly assigned to receive either the optimal dose of pregabalin they'd received in Phase One, or a daily placebo (fake) dose. The assignment was "double-blinded," which means neither the patients nor the researchers who worked with them knew during Phase Two which patients were taking pregabalin and which the fake dose.

Then the researchers conducted ongoing VAS pain severity scoring, to determine the extent to which patients in the pregabalin and placebo groups maintained their initial pain improvement over time. They defined "loss of therapeutic response" as an increase of 30 percent vs. the patient's final Phase One VAS score - "or subjective worsening of FM symptoms" - for two consecutive weekly visits.

Overall, at the end of Phase Two, the group receiving pregabalin was much more likely than the group receiving fake doses (68 percent versus 39 percent) to retain a significant positive improvement in FM pain compared with the pre-Phase One baseline.

The most common "adverse effects" noted among the 1,051 patients who received pregabalin during Phase One were somnolence/sleepiness (22 percent of participants) and dizziness (35 percent) - both "mostly mild to moderate in intensity."

And during the 6-1/2 month double blinded trial, the only adverse effects that were more common among the patients receiving pregabalin than those receiving placebo doses were sinusitis (5 percent of the pregabalin patients, 3 percent of the placebo patients) and arthralgia/joint pain and anxiety (5 percent of the pregabalin patients, 2 percent of the placebo patients).

Although two of the 1,501 participants died during the study, their deaths were not considered associated with the treatment.

_______

* See an abstract of the presentation - "A Six-month, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Durability of Effect Study of Pregabalin for Pain Associated with Fibromyalgia," by L.J. Crofford, et al., at http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/id/7521

[This Message was Edited on 12/10/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/11/2006]
  2. SeaShel

SeaShel New Member

My dr. gave me a sample of this. In comparison with the study mentioned here, I am taking only 50mg. Dr. wanted me to try to build up to 150 per day (in 3 doses). It makes me sleepy (on top of the fatigue :-} ), and a tad bit dizzy, so I'm taking it before bed and am not planning on going above 50 mg. Need to run that by the dr. still.

The pain in my hips is SOOO much better during the night with it, and it has certainly helped my sleep. My hips and low back have been so bad that it hurts too much to even lie down for a rest.

That being said, my bod is notorious for "letting" something work for a few days or a week and then bam - no longer works. I'm hoping that won't be the case with this.

I also have no idea how expensive this will be.

So, this has been a long winded way of letting y'all know I've had good results, but as always, your mileage may vary.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/06/2006]
  3. acheallover

acheallover New Member

I have been on Lyrica now for about 5 months. I have gradually increased my dose to 225mg.in two divided doses. 75mg. and 150mg. Yes, I have seen a great result, and by taking the 150mg. at night, my sleep has improved as well. I sure does zap the pain that I get in my right toes, which is the reason I had originally taken Lyrica, good luck to all that take this great Medication. Blessings, Phyllis
  4. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I've been taking Lyrica for almost 6 monthes now. I take 150 mg in the am and 150mg in the pm.
    It took a few weeks before I felt a difference but I have noticed that my skin doesn't hurt nearly as bad as it did before..
    I was on the highest dose of Neurontin You could take when the Dr wanted me to try this so another plus I say is less pills to take!!
    The only problem I seem to have now is that my knees feel heavy and like they are swelling. I don't know if that is a reaction to Lyrica or not. I am seeing my Rheumy next week and will try to remember to ask him and report it to you all.
    CindyVR
  5. Lisa184

Lisa184 New Member

I had been on Lyrica for the past 18 months, 150 mg. 3X day. Once you get past the sleepiness, it was pretty good. My problem with it is: weight gain! I have gained over 50 pounds and it's awful. Talk about depressed? I finally made the decision to d/c it after one week of weening off. I could definitely tell just what it really did for me all those months. But I don't want to gain any more weight, I'll just die. Now how do I lose all that extra weight?
    Sorry, got a little extreme. Make a decision that works for you! Hang in there. Lisa
  6. I was just given a script for this med. I notice alot of variance in the dosage. Mine is for 150 mg. to start in am for a wk, then another in evening. I would rather start at even a lower dosage. I am so leary of taking new meds. And I certainly Do not want to gain anymore weight, after the neurontin I put on a good 25 lbs!
  7. thats wonderful, do you know what dosage she is taking?
  8. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Call me strange, call me stupid, call me what ever.

I knew my Dr was doing his home work when he prescribed this to me several months ago.

He gave me free reign with it and I found no significant relief taking it 300 mg, one in the morning, one in the afternoon, then another in the evening.
    What I found, and this is not advised by me to any others, I found my best relief from this is to take 900mgs all at once about 1 or 2 hours after I wake up.

I've been doing this for about 3 months, and it is the only reason I am able to write this, and I'm still feeling pain. We're all different, and desperate.

Dan
  9. do you have any side effects from lyrica, especially since your taking more than your supposed to all at once. I haven't picked mine up yet and waiting for the weekend to take it when someone is around as I have alot of allergic reactions to meds. and have to get allergy injections
  10. mindbender

mindbender New Member

in the beginning I was tired all the time and very hungry all the time... and I mean all the time.

I finally taught myself that the hunger was artificial, and tried to get back on a regular routine. Although I did end up gaining weight anyway.

The drowsiness started to fade also and the sleep was not quality sleep so I take my sleeping pills also / still.

To be honest, it's worth it all because it so far has given at least some relief, and the effects of the drug don't mess with my system. the side effects are more of an upper instead of a depressent.(kind of like floating, but this also fades eventually)

everyones side effects are different, but this drug works better with my system.

I hope I've answered all your questions here.

Dan
  11. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Both of my doctors are using Lyrica with good results. Their sickest patients still have better results with Xyrem, but I know that a lot of them are feeling better with Lyrica.

- julie (is free!)