Lyrica Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by morus40, Sep 2, 2006.

1. morus40

morus40 New Member

Let me preface this by saying that I understand that we all react differently to different meds, but I think it's important that we use this board to share out personal medication experiences.

That said, I just want to forewarn those of you who have tried Lyrica and either aren't having much success or the side effects are just to overwhelming for you....the withdrawal CAN be a challenge.

I was on 200 milligrams a day for a little over a month. I started todevelop some issues with dizziness and difficulty driving, among others. My doctor had me go from two pills (50 mgs each) twice a day to just one a day in the evening for four days and then stop.

Yesterday was my first day of the one pill deal. I woke up, feeling 'normal'. Unfortunately, as the day wore on, I began to feel odd. I started sweating, then chills, getting dizzy, queasy stomach and then, by the evening I had incredibly acute anxiety.

I couldn't fall asleep much at night and the few times I did, I would awaken after 10 minutes or so with the worst sweats after having the most frightening nightmares.

I just want to pass this along to those of you who have to discontinue Lyrica. There may be a slower weaning off process than mine. It may be helpful to use it. Talk to your doctor as to whether this might be an issue for you. Mine mentioned there might be a bit of a withdrawal but I never imagined anything like this.

I am feeling a bit better tonight but I just don't want anyone else to have to go through anything miserable needlessly.

Take care...
  2. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

Hi Morus

I am currenty taking 300mg of Lyrica. It helped me tremendously compared to neurontin, however the effects seem to be wearing off. I have been on it for @ 5 mos. Thanks for the info. I don't know of many other options out there for my neuro pain so I have just dealt with it along with all the other aches and pains. Are you on something that helps more now? How @ for the other pain. I am currently taking tramadol, trying to stay away from narcotics - but it really is not helping much either.
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been taking Lyrica for 6 mos now and am having good results. It took about 2 months but all the side effects had cleared up by then.

It is very clear in the documentation that you have to wean off Lyrica slowly or that you might have adverse results. Maybe you just weaned off too quickly.

I am sorry to hear it didn't work for you.
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I have been using Lyrica for the past 2 months .. but found it was not helping with pain ( but did help with deeper sleep .. my doctor said that was an unusual benefit ? ) .. now I have been weaning myself off of it .. one pill at night .. hate to let go of that wonderful side affect ..
    I'm wondering what will happen when I actually stop completely ...
    Thank you for the "heads up" on it !
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been getting great deep sleep since taking Lyrica and so has my mom who just started. I was told Lyrica will help with sleep when I started it.
  6. gator26706

gator26706 New Member

I have been using Lyrica for FM for about 6 months now and found that it helped me with anxiety as much as with pain. BUT when I missed a dose I went into what I'd describe as somewhat severe withdrawal. Given the bad withdrawal symptoms, I decided to wean myself off of Lyrica with my doctor's supervision. Immediately I began to have chest pains which have limited my exercise (while heart problems are begin ruled out). I've been exercising for over 33 years and have rarely missed a week without some aerobics but now just walking across the room brings on chest pain. I haven't changed anything else except to lower my Lyrica dose. My condition is described as costochondritis which is a painful condition of the muscles around the top of my rib cage on the left side of my chest. Those muscles have nerves that connect to your back so it really feels like my heart is what is in pain. Since the Lyrica dose cut back is the only change I've made, I suspect that my chest condition is due to either a withdrawal from the med or a return of the anxiety it helped alleviate. I'm also experiencing undue sweating and other withdrawal symptoms.So if you are trying to go off Lyrica do yourself a favor and go very slowly and expect it to be a little rough at times.
  7. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Morus that is way to quickly of a weaning period. I was taking 300 mgs a day and then had to be weaned off of them for water retention. It took them three months to wean me off of them completely. They took me down very slowly and then when we found it wasn't the lyrcia that was causing the water retention they slowly put me back on them. I'm just now getting to the 300 that i was taking daily and that is something i did not the doctors. have to call and let them know i'm back up to the 300mgs. i only went up to the 300 after i was on 200mgs a day. so was not a big jump. i wouldn't advise this for anyone. it was just that i was hurting so bad. i'm amazed that any doctor weaned you down from 2 50mg pills twice a day to just 50mgs once a day. that is a huge drop. i really hope you feel better soon.........SueF
  8. skyoncloud9

skyoncloud9 New Member

I have decided to go off my Lyrica for a couple reasons. I lost interest in sex and found it hard to loose weight. I did have less pain in my legs and arms and slept much deeper. As a person with FMS, I was happy to have less pain, as a person in a realationship, was not good.

So, the first week I cut my Lyrica in half and only took 1 pill at night. I was dizzy and just felt odd. 3 days ago I stopped taking it at all, and I can't seem to get my balance. I'm sleeping but not very deep. I feel alone, in not being able to put into words how this feels. I was told by my partner that in by 72 hours those withdraws should be gone. Not so sure at this point. I know I am not making this up in my head.

Drugs, or no drugs, always the same question.

9. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I was on a low dose but went cold turkey took about a week before I started to feel "normal"
  10. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Lyrica is definitely a medication that needs to be weaned off slowly. It sounds as though the original poster was weaned off way to quickly and if had been done slower there would have been less withdrawal symptoms.

It is also documented that you should never stop this med cold turkey as it can cause seizures and other major problems.
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That does seem to be a pretty quick weaning period. My Mom was on 200 mgs a day.(different reason than Fibro) Her Doc suggested cutting down by 50 mgs every 5 days. At that rate, she had no problems whatsoever.
    I'm so sorry that you had to go through such a rough time (unnecessarily).
  12. suzanne0526

suzanne0526 New Member

My rheumatologist had me on 3 tabs daily of 75mg Lyrica to treat my Fibro. I didn't like the side effects, specifically the anxiety, nausea etc so I asked my doc to wean me off of it. On my request, she slowly weaned me off the Lyrica over several wks. It has now been two weeks since my last pill and, in some respects, I feel worse than I did while taking it. I have a lot of anxiety (especially when I wake up..I sometimes shake a lot and don't feel like getting out of bed), feeling of pressure or chest pain, I still get nauseated, and feel dizzy sometimes. From what I've read, some people do experience these withdrawal symptoms (so I know I'm not going crazy!). But, all this is getting long do these symptoms last?? My family doctor said that it could take a few weeks to possibly months! Has anyone heard of this?? I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack sometimes.....I would never recommend going on Lyrica to anyone! It didn't help the pain from my only gave me terrible side effects and horrible withdrawal symptoms!!! If anyone knows of anything that can help "soften" the withdrawal symptoms......let me know...thanks!
  13. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

I also had a horrible experience with Lyrica. It really did nothing for me while taking it, except added to some of my stomach issues. The couple times when I ran out and wasn't able to get it in for refills right away with my docs, I ended up in the ER within a day with severe withdrawals. Weaning off that medication was extremely hard as well, and my doc was not kind enough to let me wean down as slowly as was needed, so my doses were being cut by about 50-75mg at a time. It was hell! I did experience bad withdrawals from that. So far as I can tell, the withdrawals were no different than going off pain medications cold turkey, which is hell for me as well, as was going off antidepressants.

Personally, I would never recommend Lyrica to anyone, although I realize that some are able to get some benefit from it.
  14. suzanne0526

suzanne0526 New Member

For those of you, like me, who have (had) bad withdrawal symptoms.....any suggestions for coping with the anxiety, lightheadedness, etc? I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing the "bad stuff"...glad to know that it's not all in my head!
  15. kblackie55

kblackie55 New Member

i have to say that when i first started lyrica i became really dizzy and my doctor tried to tell me that i could have a virus in my central nervous system. i stopped taking it for awhile and i was feeling pretty bad so i took it again at night, then the next day i almost ran off the road twice and missed hitting another motorist by inches. i won't be taking it again.
  16. I am also weaning off lyrica slowly. It helped at first, but now its not. My feet are swollen and I can't even get shoes on. I originally started taking it for severe head pain, so I hope that doesn't come back. I am worried as my right hand started shaking alot and it makes me nervous.

My dr says lyrica is wonderful for 90 percent of his patients, they lead normal lives with it. I think he is wrong from what I have read on this board.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I posted elsewhere about weaning off Klonopin. The slower one weans off these meds, the better. Klonopin is a different class of meds but the weaning off symptoms can be similar. One of our dear members suggested L-Thianine to help. I just ordered L-Thianine with GABA and 5-HTP to help during the weaning period. The pharmacist suggested vallerian root but that would block my Guai, so I can't use it.<BR>
    I am not anxious nor jumpy but do have a bit of nervous energy even though my body does not have the physical energy right now. I don't feel quite as "flat" emotionally as I did at full dose. I've been on 1 mg. at bedtime for seven years. It's been a God send but unless I really need it, I don't want to be on it forever.<BR>
    Good luck to you.<BR>
    Love, Mikie
  18. suzanne0526

suzanne0526 New Member

I had some shaking in my right hand also and nervousness. Most of the shaking has gone but the nervousness and chest discomfort hasn't. I haven't found anything that helps with the nervousness except taking some Tramadol (which also helps with the pain from my Fibro). Does anything work for you?

I've found that most doctors don't believe in the withdrawal effects from Lyrica (quite frankly I think most doctors are getting paid from the pharm. compaines to push Lyrica more than they should). I talked to a couple of pharmacists who say that the withdrawal (anxiety, shaking, sleeplessness etc) is normal and will take awhile to come out of your system. One suggested Milk Thistle to help detox the liver from it, some that is what I'm trying.
  19. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Morus

L theanine can help raise GABA levels in the brain; Lyrica and Gabapentin work in a similar way. L theanine is good for anxiety etc so I just wondered if using that for a while would ease these classic withdrawal Sx.

Milk thistle might help with Sx generally but neither Neurontin nor Lyrica are metabolised by the liver.

The withdrawal from these meds can be similar to the withdrawal from benzos so a prolonged period where the dose is reduced in very small increments may be necessary.

Hope things return to normal asap.

tc, Tansy
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/27/2008</i>]
  20. indenial!

indenial! New Member

I was only on 75mgs 2x a day to help with referred arm pain due to a herniated disc. I had to have surgery to correct that and the nerve pain is now gone. Never researched this drug when I was prescribed it and I dropped myself from 150 to 75 at night and after 1 week I quit. Two weeks later found myself becoming an insomniac (and I am not that.) One more week later I found out that you are supposed to taper off. I caved and went back on 75 at night for 2 nights and then double again for 2 days. Saw my primary and she said to try and quit again and she gave me Lunesta. It's not helping. I don't sleep for more than 3 hours a night and am physically and mentally exhausted. I was going to start back on 50 mgs dose tonight and see if my body would get used to it again for awhile and then try to slowly taper off over a few months. Can't believe something I was one for only 9 weeks and not even a high dose is having such an effect on my system. The nausea, body temperature issues and insomnia are just crazy. I can't believe this could take months. I don't take anything else, except some diabetes medications. Thanks for listening and I would love to hear back from some of you to hear what the total taper time was.