Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathybo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Kathybo

Kathybo New Member

Has anyone had any experiences with Lyrica.

I asked my doctor to try that on me. I couldn't find anything to help ease the pain of my FM. After the initial starting period, I was taking one in the morning and one before bed. When I was switched from Lexapro to Cymbalta (which also can help with FM) for depression, I was told to take only one Lyrica a day and that one I take before bedtime to help with sleep.

The Lyrica makes the constant pain more bearable. I can still feel where the pains are shooting. I can still tell they hurt but the seem muted.

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences they can share on Lyrica?
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi Kathy

did u happen to read the NY Times article that came out a week or so ago? Doc falisifed the reports on Lyrica,it does not help pain. There were a list of drugs that he did this with including vioxx.

my experience with Lyrica and Cymbalta were bad. havent seen to many post good luck.

does your work have someone in personnel u could talk to about going on disability?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2009]
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

actually lyrica is not an antidepressant - it is a seizure medication.....and yes the results for its use for pain were falsified (which is obviously horrible), but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work - it may or may not work, but has not been proven to do so....some people have reported that it helps....personally I don't like meds, do not respond well to them, and know there are a lot of bad side effects for many, and lyrica is one that has many bad side effects for a lot of people, so I am by no means encouraging anyone to take it, but like I said, some people have found relief with it
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

When i first started taking lyrica I took it regularly and it helped with pain and improved sleep, but i started putting weight on very quickly. So what i do to avoid this side effect is to take it when in a flare or need a good sleep(with other sleep meds), i wont take it more then 2 nights in a row. But i find it a very good medication though and have heard others using it irregularly with good success.
  5. Kathybo

Kathybo New Member

I am trying to find this article on the web so I can read it. I hadn't even heard about it. Do you happen to know where I can locate it? I am very interested in reading about this.

Thank you for the heads up by the way.
  6. mariee

mariee Member

Here is a link to the article.
    Actually the doctor who wrote the article was disputing the reality of Fibromyalgia.
    and so the "effectiveness" of the drug that the drug company claims...
  7. mariee

mariee Member

Here is a link to the article.
    Actually the doctor who wrote the article was disputing the reality of Fibromyalgia.
    and so the "effectiveness" of the drug that the drug company claims...
  8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

There were actually 21 different drugs that are widely used that have now been shown to have gained approval bc of one particular researcher, who falsified the studies.....I just skimmed the article cited by mariee and it looks like something different than what was previously mentioned (although I could have missed mention of it in her article)....anyway, this is one of the many articles that has come out specifically about the fake studies........

This does not say that the drugs are good or bad. They could still work for what they are supposed to and they could be relatively safe.....or they could fail to work and be unsafe....there just isn't enough evidence to know since the studies were either not done at all, or the results were fooled around with.

Also, someone just posted about taking Lyrica only as needed, and I want to caution people that although that might work for some, it is really not a very safe practice, bc Lyrica is an antiseizure drug and playing around with the dose and/or taking it and then stopping and then starting again, or doing anything else like that that does not give the body/brain a chance to get used to having a consistent amt of it can cause a lot of problems including seizures (even in people who do not normally have them).

9. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Lyrica - a love/hate relationship. It takes the edge of the pain, but made me gain an enormous amount of weight - I would guess close to 50 pounds, but then again I don't move around much due to the FM anyway. Lyrica also caused lower leg swelling. Other then that, it worked like a charm - (600 mg a day or more depending on my pain level).
  10. lindarae38

lindarae38 New Member

In Sept. my Dr sent me to the Physical Mediine Dr who prescribed Lyrica 75mg 2x a day for 2 weeks, then increased to 2 75mg 2x a day or 300mg along with methadone. Initially I was so dizzy & sleepy I couldn't drive & could barely function. I eventually became more used to it but by March, had reverted to becoming so sleepy in the afternoons I acutally fell asleep while on the computer & fell off my chair. I cannot stay awake. I then stopped the methadone, gradually, but still too tired and so am now slowly withdrawing from the Lyrica but the pain is back seemingly worse than ever particularly in my arms & legs. I don't know at this point if I will begin it again or not or if this is the weening period. It never took the pain completely but did seem to reduce it. Some days are better than others. I might add I was "diagnosed" with fibro about 15 yrs ago but have had it most of my life and have been thru anti depressants & NSAIDS (also have osteoarthritis). Good Luck. Lindarae38
    4/8 I am down to only 1 75mg Lyrica, pain still there but pins & needles pain in legs & arms gone so maybe was from withdrawal? Lindarae38
    [This Message was Edited on 04/08/2009]
  11. Freshwater

Freshwater New Member

I just had a good example of how well Lyrica works for me. I take 150 mg twice a day and couldn't refill my prescription on time. I weaned myself down over 2 weeks, then missed 2 full days before I could refill.
    I was in the worst pain I've had since starting Lyrica 2 years ago. It eased up over the 3 days after I restarted it.
    I've gained probably 25# since starting the Lyrica (2 years ago) but I'd really rather live with being overweight than being without the Lyrica.
    (In addition to the Lyrica I take Paxil, Tramadol, Naproxen to keep a lid on the worst of my ME/CFS & FM symptoms)
  12. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

There a quite a few of other medications that are prescribed for pain that is not specific for pain such as neurotin. I have taken Lyrica for years and now with Cymbalta, which is a common combination for pain. I take 300 mg at night with an Ambien and still get a small amount of sleep. I also have had some times where I had missed my Lyrica and during that time my pain was horrible. I guess time will tell as more information avails itself. I don't gain weight, but it is very hard to lose it and I don't eat much.