Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JeniDarlin, Jul 17, 2010.

1. JeniDarlin

JeniDarlin New Member

I posted this on the Health message board but meant to post it here! Anyway, I have had chronic pain/fibromyalgia for years. I was wondering if anyone can share with me their experience with Lyrica if you take it or have taken it? I took it for a few weeks back in 2007 and at first i thought it was helping but then i stopped taking it but can't remember why, I guess I had a weird reaction and didn't like the way it made me feel. But my fibro is getting worse and I wanted to try it again. I'm not taking vicodin anymore for pain because I just got too dependent on it, but I did start taking suboxone to help with getting off the vicodin. I also take soma for the pain and it really helps alot. But I feel I get too dependent on that as well as lorazepam for anxiety and I'd rather have something I can take long term that won't cause those same kind of dependent feelings. Do you know what I mean? I'd like to hear any responses. Thanks!
  2. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

lyrica changed my vision, made me swell up!!! but my father-in-law takes it & it helps him a great deal..

my fibro is getting worse too so i went to dr & was going to try it again but we decided to try nurontin far i have no side effects from it....i do notice tho i get hungry more offten need to weigh myself but i don't think i have..
  3. kat211

kat211 New Member

I broke out in hives that seemed to last forever. The weird thing was that the hives didn't start until a couple of days after I started it. I thought it was working at first too. That said, my gyno said it has worked wonders for her.
  4. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi JeniDarlin,

I have been taking Lyrica for probably 4 years (I lost track!) & have had huge success with it. Initially, I experienced bothersome side effects, but after a few months; they disappeared. Lyrica has given me more pain relief than anything else I've tried over the 17 years of having FM. (And believe me, I've tried ALOT! ...meds & non-meds) I started out increasing the dose to around 350mg/ day. (Whatever the usual maximum dose is for FM) A big down-side to taking Lyrica for me was that I put on weight- 20-25 lbs very quickly. I've always been thin & it was hard to weigh more than I liked or was used to. The weight gain also coincided with me entering Menopause, so I'm not sure how much hormonal changes played in to the weight gain. The extra lbs have not gone away & I finally had to make peace with weighing more-it's SO worth it to be out of the terrible Fibro pain I had experienced for years.

I eventually tapered down to a very low dose of Lyrica & am currently only taking 25mg twice a day. I continue to have good pain relief. When I had severe Sciatica last Fall & the beginning of this year; I increased the Lyrica to help with the nerve pain. It helped.

I hope you find something to treat your pain effectively. For me; Lyrica was truly a wonder me my life back & allowing me to physically do MUCH more than before. :)
  5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Keep in mind that everybody reacts differently to meds; this is just my experience with Lyrica:

I was on Lyrica for about a month, in gradually increasing dosages. I started having an allergic reaction to it. My doctor had me stop taking it abruptly.

After a couple of days, I started having SEVERE withdrawal symptoms, all the ones you read about that happen with hard street drugs, except for hallucinations. I thought I was going to die, I was so sick! It was Horrible!

The doc had to put me back on Lyrica at a lower dose, and gradually lower the dose from there... I finally was able to get off of it.

The withdrawal symptoms I had from Lyrica were as bad or worse as the withdrawals I had from oxycodone and oxycontin, (which another doctor helped me get off of in a week's time). This doctor was at Uchee Pines Inst. in Seale, Alabama. I stayed there for 18 days. The first week, I got off of Lyrica and some anti-depressants. The second week I got off of the pain drugs. The remaining four days were spent recuperating. Getting off of those drugs was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life!

At Uchee Pines Inst., they used all natural, healthy remedies, which did much more good for me than the drugs ever did. The cleansing herbs and hydrotherapy were wonderful for detoxing. They taught me how to use their "8Laws of Health", which are represented by the NEWSTART acronym:

N= nutrition
    E= exercise (to tolerance)
    W= water
    S= sunshine
    T= temperance in all things
    A= air
    R= rest
    T= trust in God

They also used hydrotherapy, which I still use today, and it is Wonderful! If I stick to these things, my symptoms are manageable without drugs (which I am so thankful for, every drug seems to hit my body like a sledgehammer!).

Drugs affect my body in a major way, esp.since I started having ME/CFS/FMS. I am thankful to say that I haven't had to take any drugs, not even an aspirin, in the year and four months since I got home from Uchee Pines.

I certainly am not "healed," but I'm better than when I was on all that medication. I was going downhill fast on all those meds - I was having to use a walker or a cane all the time, my functioning was down to 10% of my "healthy" functioning, I could only walk a few steps at a time, my pain was absolutely unbearable... all this was 24/7, with no reprieve.

It was like one loooooong crash/flare.

I still have severe crashes/flares, but they don't last for weeks/months like they used to. My functioning is up on my good days and down on bad days. I'm not able to work, but I'm not feeling like I'm on my death-bed anymore, either.

Right now, I am in a terrible crash/flare, and am only able to walk a few steps at a time, very slowly, etc... It started a week ago Sunday... Its just the way these diseases go...

I still carry the hope that one day I will be healed, or a cure will be found... Until then, I have to be very strict about keeping on the Uchee Pines program.

Anyway, I bet you didn't bargain for a whole lecture, did you? I'm sorry; I just get passionate about what's helped me. Any little thing to relieve a symptom, even if it's just a little relief, is major when you're in so much pain!

God bless!

6. CK_mouse

CK_mouse New Member

In June I went to a rheumatolegest for the fist time in years. He put me on a trial of Lyrica with samples. I told the office to call my HMO to make sure they covered it. They called me back on July2 and said that the HMO would not approve Lyrica and by the way the Dr. isn't taking your HMO anymore. I got a letter from the HMO saying that they wouldn't approve Lyrica because I had not previously been on Gabapentin. (Neurontin) I took the letter to the pharmacy to tell them that I would not be able to pick up the Lyrica the dr had prescribed and told them why. The pharmacist told me that Gabapentin had been used successfully for fibro for quite a while. This was the first time I had heard of it and I have had fibro since '97. I made a appointment at the VA with the new dr that had been assigned to me since my old one had left. He poked me and agreed that I had fibro and started me on Gabapentin (400mg X 3 times a day). I have only been on it since 7/16 but I think I'm seeing some good results. Went to Walgreen's and got a timer that sticks to the lid and goes off 3 times a day to remind me to take my meds. I would be lost without the timer.
  7. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I am one of the lucky ones that Lyrica has helped.

I have had fibro for many years [35] I am 71 years old and am doing quite well. I still have some bad days.

I have taken Lyrica off and on for about 2 years.
    At first it helped a lot with pain but I did gain about ten pounds. I have to admit that I ate too many goodies,so don't know if Lyrica was to blame for that.

I went off cold turkey for a while, I thought that I was taking too high a dose.

Anyway after the pain returned and r many sleepless nights I started Lyrica again. It helps with the pain and gives me a good nights sleep.

I have managed to loose fifteen pounds this year because I can exercise more, In fact I have just returned from a trip to Europe and managed to walk farther than I have in years. I credit this to Sketcher Shape Up shoes and Lyrica.

On my holiday I took from 150mgs to 425mgs of Lyrica depending on the demands of the day. I mostly rested every other day. I experience some ankle swelling on days that I did too much.

Now that I am home again my Lyrica dose is mostly 150mgs.

My doctor asked my opinion of this drug and my answer was" I would not want to be without it, but it is by no means a cure all." So for what it is worth this is my story.

Give Lyrica a fair try, it might work for you or not. Cheers Denamay
  8. KerryK

KerryK Member

I had been on it for several months at 300 mg/day. It was terrific for pain relief and was the best sleep remedy I ever used. I had lots of mobility and energy while on it. Unfortunately, I couldn't shake the drunk feeling it left me and so I ultimately had to quit.
  9. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Last evening I gave a glowing report re. Lyrica and today I am so sore I can hardly move. I have not been in so much pain for ages.

My back, both legs and arms, ribs, neck and shoulders are all affected.

I think, that there is a little man with meat grinder grinding my bones living somewhere in my backbone.

So there you go, there is no such thing as as a cure all, I guess. Love Denamay
  10. Tizz

Tizz New Member

It's a lot like gabapentin (brand name: Neurontin). When Neurontin's patent was expiring they came up with a newer version, that wouldn't be available in generic form -- Lyrica. They aren't the same drug, of course, but they're closely related.

If you've taken Neurontin (gabapentin) and had problems with it, I'd avoid Lyrica - and vice versa.

11. gknee

gknee New Member

I ended up in the ER with all the side effects. It was difficult getting off the stuff. Major withdrawls. It didn't work for me.