LyricaExplain any side effects? Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by forfink, Dec 15, 2006.

1. forfink

forfink New Member

Would like to try Lyrica for pain, but had no luck with Neurontin, gave me an instant headache. I read they have 'tweaked' this med so it is a little different from the Neurontin medication. Any reply welcomed!
  2. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hi Forfink,

Lyrica/Pregabalin is an anticonvulsant. Unfortunately, it didn't help me at all. At 25 mg I developed worsened head pain (I have chronic, 24/7 head pain/pressure already), increased my insomnia and pain in my muscles...

HOWEVER, with that said, I know many people who have found Lyrica to be VERY effective with sleep, weakness, fatigue and pain and spasms...even nerve pain.

It's worth a try, but I'd suggest starting at the lowest dose. We're all so different in our reactions.

I take Neurontin (first med tried on me many, many years ago).

Keep us posted...hope it works!!

Best,
    LB32 (Leeza)
  3. forfink

forfink New Member

4. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

Hi,
    The first time I took Lyrica I almost cried because I thought it was a miracle drug. 80% of my pain subsided with in 24 hours, I woke up for a week pain free. Yes my Dr. loves it too, however I DID have a weird side effect where I swelled up and retained water around my ankles and hands. We are not sure if it was a direct side effect but, the swelling stopped when I stopped the Lyrica.
    Now I take Cymbalta, it helps but not like the Lyrica.
    Jessica
  5. forfink

forfink New Member

Anyone who had a headache with Neurontin find that Lyrica was totally different and didn't give them a headache.

Just scared to try it because I had such a horrible problem with the Neurontin.
  6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been on Lyrica 8 months now. I started at 50mg 3xday and am now up to 300mg 2xday.

Some of the side effects I had were increased fatigue, blurry vision, a little bit of swelling and the occaisional headache.

All these side effects have since stopped. The headache stopped after the first 2 days.

The benefits I have had from Lyrica are: help with nerve pain, decreased muscle spasms which help my IBS and stomach problems, help with staying asleep, and some help with overall pain.

For me the benefits far outweighed the side effects and the side effects all went away after a few weeks to a month.
  7. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I also had a almost 'miracle' effect by it. Honestly, no drug I have ever taken has helped me as much, and so quickly. It's extremely surprising to me because I was very skeptical. It does have a long list of side effects, and several people here have experienced them. But also, several people have had great results like I have. I would recommend giving the lowest dose (25mg) a try, and see how you do.
  8. My dr gave me 150 mg of lyrica to start ,which gave me a horrible headache like someone squeezing the sides of my head. This seems like a high dose to start compared to what I have read others taking. I called the dr. office and they want to see me in Jan. But you know drs. when you question what they give you.
  9. that is interesting. I too have IC and took neurontin for a couple yrs and did have trouble. I never thought of the pill causing it. If it isn't one thing its another I swear.
  10. kotomme1

kotomme1 New Member

I currently have IC and have taken lyrica for about 8 mths
    for the first month it worked ok. Now my doctor will be weaning me off of it because it has not helped my fibro. I
    think that people with fibro gets adjusted to meds really
    quickly and then the meds don't work anymore.