Lyricia and Neurontin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Sep 21, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

If you have tried these meds please let me know. I have tried both with no luck. The lyrica made me gain 20 lbs. so I tried the neurontin but it made me sick to my stomach. Neither really seemed to help with the pain. Anything out there that really works? Let me know....Thanks ....Mick!!
  2. JanesGrama

JanesGrama New Member

I was on neurontin for a long time with good results. I was gradually built up to a high dose. Yes, it made me feel weird, especially in my head. We finally settled on just taking a dose at bedtime. I had heard that patients taking Lyrica were getting even better results. Again I have been building up the doses. I am resolved to getting used to the side effects which for me were similar to neurontin. My nightime dose in fine, I just go to sleep, but the daytime doses are really hard as it makes me very tired and I feel like I am drunk. Maybe after a couple of wks it will wear off. If not I will just take the night dose. It has helped my pain tremendously. I am off all narcotics. I don't even take a tylenol. The weight thing may wind up being the determining factor. I have gained 6 lbs in 2 wks. I may have to starve to death to be on this drug.
    Linda
  3. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thanks for the input. I got off the lyrica overe a 2 week period cutting the dose slowly and lost 6 lbs in that 2 weeks.Started taking neurontin and stopped losing but as I said it makes me sick so I don't really know what to do at this point. Neither really seems to help much for me and I don't know that the weight gain is worth what little relief I get. I have better luck just taking vicodin when I have a flare or what I call "Crash". I spend 3 to 4 days in bed when I am at my worst. With or without the meds I still crash at least once a month. Just not sure that its worth putting all the drugs in my body if i'm not going to get relief from them.
  4. JanesGrama

JanesGrama New Member

I was on neurontin for a long time with good results. I was gradually built up to a high dose. Yes, it made me feel weird, especially in my head. We finally settled on just taking a dose at bedtime. I had heard that patients taking Lyrica were getting even better results. Again I have been building up the doses. I am resolved to getting used to the side effects which for me were similar to neurontin. My nightime dose in fine, I just go to sleep, but the daytime doses are really hard as it makes me very tired and I feel like I am drunk. Maybe after a couple of wks it will wear off. If not I will just take the night dose. It has helped my pain tremendously. I am off all narcotics. I don't even take a tylenol. The weight thing may wind up being the determining factor. I have gained 6 lbs in 2 wks. I may have to starve to death to be on this drug.
    Linda
  5. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

The first day I took Lyrica I thought I was cured!!!!I cried with excitement, aftrer a week the pain started to come back and then we played the up the dosage game up and up and up and I was eating everything in sight! Now I am taking Cymbalta. My Dr is leaving it up to me if I want t o try the lyric again with the cymbolta but goodness I couldn't stop eating it is true! you do gain weight! Cymbolta is doing pretty good right now I have been on it for 2 weeks! Pain 60% reief. Good Luck I am still searching too.
    Jessica
  6. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate it alot... Mick!!