Lysine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Has anyone here ever taken lysine for an extended period of time (e.g. to help with cold sores)?

If so, do you recall how you felt in general while you were on it?

Do you think it might have made you feel better? Feel worse?

Thanks!
  2. yodasmom

yodasmom New Member

I am a dental hygienist and vouch for lysine for cold sores. Need to megadoe to start 3 3x day for the first month and then 3 xa day afer that. Increse if there is a flair but thye may go into permanent remission Remember all amino acida re take away form other sources of protien or won't work. I have seen wonderful results for sores in the mouth also.
    Shouldnot have side effect. Some say it helps viruses but I have not seen that.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Lysine pretty much decreases the amount of arginine in the receptors. Since an amino acid test I had a while back suggested that I have high-normal arginine levels and pretty low lysine levels, I'm not that concerned about the replacement.

I bring this up because my sister posed the following theory when i told her how high my overall viral count was (40x normal). She doesn't have any proof, but she does have some background in nutrition and is pretty good at coming up with theoretical concepts. I thus thought this one was worth exploring on my own and asking if anyone has any experiences with it.

This would be most applicable to people with CFS (probably an immune system disease) rather than fibro, I think.

My sister writes:

Epstein Barr is one of 90 identified "herpes" viruses. Herpes viruses in general thrive in an environment rich in Arginine and lacking in Lysine.

Arginine and Lysine are used very similiarly by the body. The body will replace arginine with lysine and will replace lysine with arginine. Therefore, if it doesn't get enough lysine, it will replace it in the body with arginine--creating an arginine-rich environment.

Arginine is found in higher concentrations cereals and grains, nuts, poultry and seafood. The best sources of Lysine are milk, eggs, cheese, red meat, and brewers yeast (even though these also contain arginine, the body can get the lysine from these sources and keep the two amino acids balanced).

Since you don't eat that much if any of the foods that are supposed to contain high levels of lysine {I am allergic to milk, eggs and yeast), it may be that your body is out of balance and therefore is a good ground for these viruses to run wild.

Lysine aids in the formation of antibodies, hormones and enzymes. It would follow that lack of lysine would inhibit your body from forming antibodies, hormones and enzymes. {Note from me: These all are my own main problems, by the way.}

I know you are allergic to most things containing lysine, but there are other sources of lysine (mainly beans of all sorts including soybeans) that contain some in significant amounts. There are also lysine supplements available everywhere.

Anyway, you might want to to ask your doctor what he thinks and/or experiment with it yourself. i hope you feel better.

Comments?
  4. Clouddead

Clouddead New Member

Hi Lisa,

I am taking 1000mg x3 a day and have been for about 6 weeks now. The last 6 weeks have been so much better for me, and I feel as though the Lysine is making a difference, although I could not prove this.

I have also tried to eliminate dietary arginine where possible and have cut out sugar in the last 3 weeks, which almost certainly has benefit.

In theory Lysine should supress replication of all herpes viruses, I am pretty sure ALL my problems are caused by HHV-6, I should be a bit closer to confirming this when I get the test back next week.

Lysine is cheap and easy on the stomach, I haven't noticed any s/e's, in short it's probably worth a try. Capsule is probably better than pill for absorption.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

6. mindofasian

mindofasian New Member

I started taking lysine when I developed a cold sore and it most definitely sped up the healing time.I then started taking it daily and I haven't experienced any flare ups with cold sores...which is pretty fantastic considering that I'm under a lot of stress right now and more susceptible to a break out.I would take the lysine and record your results with it.
  7. deliarose

deliarose New Member

wot kind of test did u do forf HHV6?
    are they testing for antibodies or the virus itself?
    tnx delia
  8. Clouddead

Clouddead New Member

Hi deliarose,

I don't want to hijack the thread but.....

I am having the standard IgG and IgM test for HHV-6. My theory being that the unlikely event of no antibodies to it would eliminate it. I am hoping the exact titre of the IgG will give me a bit of a clue, according to the HHV-6 foundation and IgG of 1:320 or greater could indicate it's chronic.

As far as I'm aware I cannot get a rapid blood culture test in the UK and I would rather not get a lumbar puncture to test for CSF infection yet.

9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I have tested positive for HHV6 (and a lot of other viruses) on occasion in the past, but that's not the point.

The issue is the total viral load (of _all_ viruses) being carried by my body. Apparently that is 40x normal.

When my doctor first recommended Famvir, I commented that I thought that was a herpes drug and that herpes did not seem to be much of a problem for me. He stated that all anti-viral drugs kill a wide spectrum of viruses, not just the ones that the FDA has approved them for.

(While he has more experience with Famvir, he wants me to try Valcyte if that doesn't work. Thus far I have started on neither since I want to get my insides as cleaned out as possible first to lessen other stress on my body while I'm on the drug.)

My sister pointed out that 90 viruses are in the herpes "family" and that all of these may thrive especially well in a arginine-rich environment. It thus was her thought that I might do better at lowering my general viral load (not just that of a few viruses) if I increased my lysine.

I don't have any idea whether this has merit. However, considering the fact that lysine is pretty cheap, doesn't seem to cause me any bad reaction, and has been used to at least some success by a few people on this board, I'm inclined to give it a go.

More comments would definitely be very welcome, though!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2006]
  10. Clouddead

Clouddead New Member

Pretty sure there are only 9 viruses in the herpes family, and that is including HHV-6A and HHV-6B as separate.

Regardless lysine should inhibit all of them I understand.
  11. ksp56

ksp56 Member

can not go a day, well maybe one, without me taking my Lysine and Vitamin C. If I forget to take for several days, I feel them 'tingling'!

I used to get away with not taking them frequently. Since being diagnosed with Fibro/CFS, they seem to
    be worse.

Hopefully, I am not overdosing! LOL

Kim
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Yes, of course you're right, my comment should have been that viruses thrive in an arginine-rich environment, which is why you would want to add lysine. I changed the wording in my post a minute ago.

Unfortunately I've been under some family-related stress over the last day, and my mind is not really in gear. Sorry to confuse.
  13. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi all,

I have taken Lysine for months at a time with no obvious ill effects. I didn't notice a big improvement either. But am doing many things that are improving so I don't think this precludes Lysine from helping.

It's one of the recommendations by Dr. Teitelbaum in his book. So when I had a cold sore flare I started this amino acid and just continued.

I have also tested positive for chronic EBV and HHV-6 infections (elisa antibody test). Both in the Herpes family which requires Arginine for replication. We use arginine to manufacture human growth hormone. I've wondered if the herpes virus' are hijacking our arginine making it unavailable for HGH production.

I no longer take Lysine unless I feel a cold sore coming on.

Love & Light -
  14. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Apparently there are more than 100 herpes viruses that have been identified, but only a few of them infect humans. Thank you for pointing this out.

The Multiple Sclerosis website states as follows:

There are probably more human herpes viruses because all the known ones are recent discoveries (for example, CMV and VZV in the 1950s, EBV in the 1960s and HHV-6, -7 and -8 in the 1980s). The herpes virus family are of interest to multiple sclerosis because five of this family has been repeatably associated with the disease and almost all herpes viruses have been linked to one autoimmune disease or another.

HGH is a double-edged sword,, I think. I have been tested low on it, and for a while was experimenting with supplementing with it (the real stuff that costs a huge amount of money). I found that even a very small amount of it put me in bed for a couple of days. Paul Cheney found this effect in his CFS patients a number of years ago too.

I tend to think that when the body uses HGH (obtained from within the body or without), it takes a lot of energy. To my understanding, HGH is used primarily for repair (e.g. Beverly Hills doctors give it to patients to use after facial surgeries).

Of course, we all need to repair our bodies. That sucks up a lot of energy.

If you've got a broken immune system and are fighting off viruses, that sucks up a lot of energy too.

If your body's doing both of these things at the same time, apparently you end up bedridden.

The HGH shots worked miracles in healing my sprained ankle a year ago. And I know that it is bad that my body isn't getting as much repairs as it needs.

On the other hand, if my viral load is 40x normal, that seems a more pressing problem. I think I'd rather lower the viral load, thereby (hopefully) putting less stress on my body.

Maybe if that happened, my body would start using the HGH that it has for repair of its own accord. Right now I don't think more HGH is what I'm looking for (unless I have another injury of some sort).

I could be wrong, though. And what's right for one person isn't necessarily right for another.

That's the annoying thing about this illness. There's never enough energy to do everything. You've always got to pick your battles. Argh.