lysine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by heapsreal, Dec 27, 2008.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Anyone found the amino acid lysine effective for ebv/cmv etc, i know it is used for another herpees infection cold sores, which is suppose to reduce replication and put it into latency. Not looking/hoping for a cure just some improvement and maybe increase effectiveness of antivirals Im on,
    thanks
  2. thecatswhiskers

thecatswhiskers New Member

Me again .......it seems like we think along the same lines LOL!

Yep, I've taken it for about 6 years for precisely the reason you describe. Took a little while to kick in but my flares definitely reduced where I have painful glands and feel generally fluey with awful fatigue. No miracle cure but it has kept me more stable and feeling generally less 'viral'.

I take 1000mg/ day. I've recently had shingles and then took 1000mg/ 3 x day.

Btw: when I had shingles I was given Valtrex for it (1000mg 3x day) for a week....... I felt better on it from my M.E angle (even with the shingles!) which was so profound that I 'googled' it, and 'lo and behold' found studies where it had significantly helped a subset of CFS patients with EBV. My private Dr has prescribed me 2 more weeks of it, but at £350 for that course, taking it for any longer the cost is prohibitive for me. The affect it had on me is amazing to me though.

Kind regards and happy, healthy 2009.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2008]
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Its been awhile, your looking well, lol.
    If you have read some of my previous posts, Im currently taking famvir (250mg 2xday for last month so far)which is helping and my doc is happy for me to take it long term, yes expensive these antivirals. Lysine Im looking into, the extra help from lysine might help me improve.

Poor bugger, shingles. Im keeping my fingers crossed I dont get shingles, chickenpox is what started me with this cfs thing as well as the ebv. I have had a few patients (I work as a paramedic) in the last few months with shingles and avoiding contact as much as i can. Good to see you got on the antivirals quickly, this can help prevent post herpatic neuralgia, which isnt nice, symptoms arent too different to cfs/fm. Amitrityline and gabapentine/lyrica can also prevent complications as they protect the nerves in some way from permanent damage.

Good to hear from you again, keep in touch.
  4. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

Your local NHS trust isn't covering the Valtrex?

I've not been researching this long, but wonder if the lower cost acyclovir (also an anti-viral) would help at all.
  5. thecatswhiskers

'Poor bugger' lol ........... yep, shingles is grim! I was like you about avoiding anyone with chickenpox as I always dreaded gettig it, but, well now i sort of have a different theory, but it is only a theory. I read somewhere that it can 'spring up' in 'later' life (oh god, I am only 38 tho!!!!!) when your immunity from your childhood bout of chickenpox has dropped ........ so I just wondered if you maybe are exposed to kids with chickenpox later in life, or like you, you have it a an adult, it gives you a little later-life immunity to it so shingles doesn't appear?! Only a littl ol me theory tho I stress!

It's not a 'glamorous look', no (!!!) ........... but my BIGGEST fear was the PHN. I got the valtrex within 1-2 days of the spots appearing tho and I think that's helped, as touch wood, I've had some post rash pain and intense itching (which drives you mad!), but that seems to be getting better .... everything crossed! GP was on the ball (for once!) as he did also offer me the amitryptilline, but I've reacted badly to that in the past so couldn't take it. I've been taking alpha Lipoic acid myself as i read that can help nerves regenerate. Just looked up the Famvir, it seems to treat similar herpes strains to the valtrex (doesn't valcyte target more HHPV6?) ...... so that's interesting. Weird how valtrex didn't help you; we're all so complexley different aren't we! Glad it's helping, but yep, the prices are SCARY! :(

You take care and keep in touch how you're going too my aussie twin you!!!!!! :eek:)
  6. thecatswhiskers

Hello,

My GP did prescribe 7 days treatment for the shingles on the NHS, but unsure if he'd prescribe it for my M.E. as he's pretty badly uncooperative. I'm going to send him all the study info i've found with regards the valtrex/ M.E./ EBV, and tell him how I improved on it, but I don't rate my chances as I strongly suspect he'll think I'm 'clutching at straws'.

Interesting about the 'acyclovir' as I know valtrex works by being converted to acyclovir in the body ........ just that Valtrex seems better absorbed and is said is the most effective. The acyclovir gives me an alternative option though, so thank you.

I'm also considering buying a (much cheaper) generic Valtrex (by Cipla) off of one of the online pharmacies, but can't decide if it's a risk too far or not. There's NO way I could afford £700/ month of the Valtrex though as I'm not well enough to work due to the M.E. Seen that 'chink of healthier light' though which is hard to ignore!
  7. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

"I read somewhere that it can 'spring up' in 'later' life (oh god, I am only 38 tho!!!!!) when your immunity from your childhood bout of chickenpox has dropped ........ so I just wondered if you maybe are exposed to kids with chickenpox later in life, or like you, you have it a an adult, it gives you a little later-life immunity to it so shingles doesn't appear?! Only a littl ol me theory tho I stress!"

The shingles incidence is far less in developing countries than in developed countries and the theory IS that in developed countries, adults are re-"challenged" by the virus by being around children ill with chicken pox. This causes the immune system to reactivate and produce antibodies. Developed countries tend to isolate children with chicken pox, away from the general population, and with a jab now available for it, many children never have the full-blown disease.
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Expensive being sick, but found a bit of a loop whole in australia. Valtrex here is about $160 for 14 days at 500mg 2xday, famvir is 140 for 10 days at 250mg 2xday, but I have got my doc to prescribe 500mg famvir tabs, this is 30 tabs for $200 so im going to cut them in half/250mg 2xday. 250mg tabs would cost me $420 a month, stronger tabs $200 a month, I was stoked, this is alot easier on the wallet. Worth looking at stronger doses and price and seeing if you can cut them in half.