Macaroni and Cheese recipe anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fibrobutterfly, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Do you have a good CHEESY macaroni and cheese homemade recipe THAT YOU have tried? I tried Paula Deens and was disapointed. I need one that doesn't call for 10 different cheese, an easy one.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I go to the store and buy the little blue box of Kraft Mac 'n Cheese and fix it according to directions. I've tasted many a homemade recipe that failed to live up to what comes in the box :)

Love, Mikie
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

----get a life! Haven't ya discovered "Stouffer's" Yet?

[This Message was Edited on 02/21/2008]
  4. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

That is what we call ours. It is a homemade receipe my mother-in-law gave me. It was a family favoite until two of my kids grew in to dairy allergies. Now I seldom make it unless I am willing to make two different meals that night.

Cook three cups of macaroni as directed on package. Drain and rinse well. Add 2 Cups of diced ham. Make a cream sauce of: 1/3 cup butter, 1/2 cup flour, 3 cups milk and salt to taste. (personally I don't even use the salt)

Pour cream sauce over cooked macaroni and ham. Add 2 cups of diced chedder cheese. Stir. Bake for 30 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees.

Personal favorite: I use yellow chedder with cooked hamburg and white chedder with ham.)

5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good recipes and I do use the box and Stouffers too., I have been looking for some good recipes to make one of these years when I really have the energy as well as want something good homemade. I am a cheeseaholic and it would be really good comfort food for me.

I copied the recipes and will try them one of these days. The main thing I would think is the sauce and the combo of flour to liquid. Didn't want to screw that up and have it either clumpy (to thick) or too watery. I would think you could add lots of things to it, esp the ham but just plain will work for me !!

Wish I had some now but am to lazy to make itl Also son
    t have the cream or i/2 and 1/2. I usually have some kind of cheese on hand.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not totally illerate in the kitchen. I just made two pans of Italian sausage lasagne florentine. Problem is that I never learned to cook for one or two. I still cook like I would for a family. Oh well, I'll give some away and freeze some.

Love, Mikie

Ooh, ooh, almost forgot--I got one of those stockpot size pasta cookers, the kind with the drain holes and a locking lid, on sale at Macy's. I've wanted one forever. It was on sale and I had a 15 percent off coupon. It works great!
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Mikie - Yes, I got one of those too a coupl eof years ago with a set. I love mine to.. I don't even need a colander now and it is OK if I cannot find it anyway.

Yes, I cooked for 8 every day with my kids husband and FIL when the kids were young. I have the same problem you do with the cooking for two thing. However I cannot make to little cause DH doesn't believe in portion control, in certain things especially (-: !!

I am even getting him to like pasta more. Me, I could have paste almost every day, any kind. That also inc mac and cheese. Yes, the Stouffers is very delicious too.

8. Frannie17

Frannie17 New Member

Yum, now I want homemade mac & cheese, please!

9. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

Thanks for your version of Macaroni and cheese.

I like boxed macaroni and cheese alright but I have a very fussy husband who does not and two daughters who wish they could have the stuff again. I have to make theirs with veggie cheese. That stuff doesn't taste that great either.
  10. The little grandkids like Kraft mac and cheese, I LIKE Stouffers Alot too, but wanted to make one. My old neighbor used to make a great one and my husband still talks about it, nice with a crispy outside. However she moved.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

When the girls were growing up i made Mac and Cheese with Velveta Cheese,,,,,,i just(boiled) about 1 and 1/2 cups macaroni,,,adding alittle oil,,so it doesn't stick,,,,,

and in the meantime melted the cheese in the microwave with alittle milk about 3/4 cup of cheese and 2 Tbl spoons of milk,,,,,,

drain Mac,,,,,add cheese and stir it all togeather with a Tablespoon of butter and salt to taste,,,,,,,,,,,,,it Works,,,,Sis
  12. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

I,like you ,use Velveta cheese but all I do is cook mac then take the cheese out of the box cut it up and after draining the mac throw it in the pot, mix it up and my kids couldn't get enough. It is really cheesy. I don't use oil ( non-stick pot) or milk, I let the heat of the mac melt the cheese.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/23/2008]
  13. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

This is totally homemade; quick and easy.

Boil 8 oz or so of pasta, like ziti, rotini, ditalini, etc. and put aside.

In a saucepan, melt 3 Tbls butter and then add 2 Tbls flour--whisk to make a paste. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups of milk and stir until it's thickened--shiny, flat bubbles will appear on the surface. While it's thickening, I add salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste. I take it off the burner and add an 8 oz bag of shredded mexican cheese (less bland) and stir until the cheese is melted in. I then add the pasta to the pot and mix well. Transfer to a buttered 9x9 pyrex baking dish and sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the top. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or so until the top is crusty. Enjoy!!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/23/2008]
  14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My girlfriend makes a great Mac and Cheese so I asked for her recipe.
    You can use 12 oz. of macaroni. Add a little more butter. The key is the cream cheese and the mustard. She leaves off the parsley.
    **When I've made homemade Mac and cheese I use evaporated milk instead of regular milk - it always makes it more creamy. This is really good Mac and Cheese.

7 ounces macaroni
    1/4 cup butter
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups milk
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1 cup dry bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
    In a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook for about 1 minute, until smooth and bubbly; stirring occasionally. Mix in milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard. Continue cooking until sauce is thickened. Add cooked macaroni and Cheddar cheese.
    Pour into 2 quart casserole dish. In small bowl mix together bread crumbs, butter and parsley; spread over macaroni and cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
  15. Thanks I will have to try them all. I love a good macaroni and cheese casserole. (Especially with the rising food prices)
  16. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

Funny you should mention Stouffers. I went to a pot-luck dinner last night and that was one of the dishes to pass. Pretty tasty. I know my husband wouldn't like it. He only likes the homemade kind.

I want to try a few of the ones listed here. They sound delicious.
  17. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

with health food store mac (don't know if it makes that much difference or not) and after we boil and drain it we throw in some pre-shredded Mexican cheese that you can buy in a bag at the grocery store and we add a little milk. It comes out stringy but super yummy and it doesn't set off my tummy.

After it's reheated it seems less stringy.

18. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have never once tried Stouffer's. Might have to try that! My kids would only ever eat the box. At picky at that. Kraft.
    I bought the Velveeta boxed mac and cheese. Wow is that good! Have you had it? Boil mac, drain, open package of velveeta cheese, stir. No milk, no butter, no powdered cheese.
    Now I'm stuck with leftover "blue" boxes of mac and cheese in my pantry.

I add finely chopped broccoli to it.
  19. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Had the Ultimate Mac & Cheese and it sounds sooooo good! I may have to try this one out.,1977,FOOD_9936_35369,00.html

He also has a roasted tomato soup that sounds absolutely divine as well! Maybe, Friday night I'll make this and let you all know if it is good or not. Although, I must say I'm not usually disappointed with Tyler's recipes....they are the ultimate!
  20. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've found that turmeric and paprika and garlic and salt are good seasonings for the mac-n-cheese we make. We don't use much cheese either.

Paprika stays most flavorful if stored in the fridge.