macular degentive help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfh, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. joyfh

    joyfh New Member

    I can't find any information about this desease..trying to find some magnifiers for reading and you don't have to hold them...I want them large enought to read the paper..for my any ideas of where I can find them? George is now not wanting to read the paper...he needs this because he has dementia too along with macular degentive eyes...poor guy what can I do will medicare help pay for this....just a thought...JOY
  2. ckball

    ckball New Member

    I just wrote and lost my post, so will try again. Call your eye Dr and ask if they know a "Low Vision Speicalist"

    Depending on where you live, you may have to travel. My mother use to see a Dr that drove a two hour drive once a week to work out of another eye Drs office for people with severe eye problems.

    I see a eye Dr every 6 month to be tested for macular degeneration because I take Plaquinal for RA. The one bad side effect of the drug is it can cause this condition.

    If you have a new computer, there is a magnifer in the computer. It is pretty cool once you get the hang of it.

    Click on "all programs" then "accesories" then "accesibilites" then you will see "magnifer". You can set it to how big you want the words. Maybe your dad could read the paper on line. I know they make a maginfer on a stand and has a light with it. I hope this helps but ask your eye Dr and go from there, Good luck-Carla

    I just found a website, it is it does have low vision specialist listed by state under "Care and Services Directory" At least it is a place to start. Carla[This Message was Edited on 07/19/2007]
  3. sisland

    sisland New Member

    I can suggest the supplement called "Ocuvite" for this disorder because my Dad has it,,,,and he has taken this supplement for the last year and it has slowed the progression of MD,,,

    A Dr's check would be good just to see if he can take it safley if he's on other Meds!

    Also as Carla sugested the standing Mag Glass or i think they have special lamps now for low vision,,,,,Goodluck!,,sis
  4. LittleBluestem

    LittleBluestem New Member

    I have 'dry' macular degeneration. There is also 'wet' macular degeneration. If your husband has the wet kind, then the following may or may not apply.

    Bausch and Lomb make a supplement specifically for age-related macular degeneration (AMD) called PreserVision. There are two formulations - one for smokers and one for non-smokers. It is based on the results of the Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS). The B&L product is rather expensive. You might be able to buy the ingredients separately for less money. Then again, if your husband’s ophthalmologists would prescribe the PreserVision, maybe Medicare would pay for it.

    Earlier this year, U.S. News and World Report had an article about AMD. It mentioned the AREDS formula, which is about 25% successful in reducing vision loss. It also said the exercise is 70% successful in reducing vision loss. Is your husband able to exercise?

    I have a clipping (source unknown) about a study of the effect of eggs on macular health at the University of Massachusetts in Lowell. After 12 weeks, the subjects who ate eggs had increased density of the macular pigment and no change in cholesterol. The controls experienced an unexpected increase in cholesterol. It says that while leafy greens have the most carotenoids, those in the egg have a higher bioavailability to the retina. They recommend eating one whole egg a day.

    According to a health newsletter that my dad gave me: "one study linked ginko biloba to a 23% improvement in retinal blood flow. Another study, using 240 mg a day showed a significant improvement in patients with dry AMD."

    I read somewhere, possibly the booklet listed below, that a person with AMD should wear sunglasses that block blue light, as well as UV-A and UV-B.

    A good source of additional information is a 2007 booklet, "Macular Degeneration & Other Diseases of the Aging Eye - Diagnosis and Treatment", published in collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic. The ISBN # is 1-879620-81-2.
  5. findmind

    findmind New Member

    Funny you should ask. I have it, dx'd just 1 year ago.

    I take eye vits from the drugstore, and always wear wraparound sunglasses when outside at all.

    I read about 4 hrs a day, with glasses, and have no real problems yet. Mine is the "dry" kind.

    MedPageToday had an article within the past two days that said they have found a genetic component for it.

    I've seen a magnifying glass with a small diameter rope that goes around one's neck; the base of the glass has a plastic horizontal band that sits on one's chest, holding the large glass over a book. It can be found online I bet, or from specialty catalogues.

    Best to you,
    p.s. books on tape are great!

[ advertisement ]