Made it thru surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Aug 4, 2008.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I had shoulder surgery last Fri morning and have lived to tell about it. I promised some of my friends here I'd check in when I was feeling better.

I had it kind of rough Fri and Sat. The anesthesia had some nasty side effects for about 36 hrs, I was not a happy camper. I talked to all the docs and told them of my FM/CFS ahead of time, they were all sooo nice.

My shoulder is quite sore, but not too bad if I don't move it! Dr. wants me to start moving it now tho, so now the pain begins, boo:(

Dr shaved bone away in a couple of different places by arthroscope to open up the joint space more for my rotator cuff. My rotator cuff was frayed a bit, but not enough to have to stitch it back together. Glad the first couple of days are over.

I am feeling very guilty and am tired of asking dh for help, I just am feeling kind of overall yucky. I know I needed it done, but there have been many moments where I wish I hadn't had the surgery. Oh well, that's one of my psycho problems, GUILT, no matter what it's for.

So here I am in bed with my ice pack and one of my kitties, she hasn't hardly left my side. I'm bored and would love to hear from you guys.

I took a short cut and copy/pasted this on 3 boards here since there are different people who have been supporting me thru this. Thanks.

xxxooo Hermit
  2. poets

poets Member

I'm so glad to hear your surgery is over. Thanks for letting us know how you are. We'll continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers and pray you feel better everyday! Aren't kitties comforting?

P.S. And please don't feel guilty for asking for help.[This Message was Edited on 08/04/2008]
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Sending you gentle hugs and positive thoughts.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  4. stumped

stumped New Member

Good for you. I,m really happy for you and hope you have a very speedy recovery. I'm sure and will pray that this procedure will make you more comfortable in the long run. Take it easy and take good care of your self. Gentle hugs to you..........Rick
  5. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Nice to hear from you all and thx for the positive vibes:)

Jam, I don't have to do PT yet , the dr just gave me 4 different exercises to do about 4x a day. Hurts quite a bit now. I went to a dr a couple of yrs ago that did the prolotherapy but I never had it done. Glad it's helping you. Back then my shoulder was OK, just the rest of my body was trashed! LOL

I had a "pain pump" that was removed today. It was a spring loaded bulb thingy that had a tiny little capillary tube inserted into my shoulder joint. It had something like Lidocaine in it that numbed the site, it was pretty cool.

That way, the first few days I didn't have too much pain, but it's wearing off now unfortunately. I have Oxydodone that I'm taking sparingly and also Norco and Flexaril. It looks like a pharmacy in my bdrm!

I'm off to bed now, see you all tomorrow.
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

Well, you are (unknowingly) one of my heroes. My orthopedist told me I'm due for this type of surgery someday as well. (Actually, he wanted to do it two years ago!) Mine is right side, partial rotator cuff tear, and some bone spurs.

If it is any consolation, my brother-in-law had this surgery a little over a year ago. I've been watching him closely throughout. He has told me that although the surgery wasn't much fun, he was glad that he did it since he has regained full motion and can go back to being active again. (He is a lot more active than I am!)

He had PT for about a month, but he said he felt that he was back at almost full strength and without pain at around two weeks.

I hope that you have a quick recovery, and that this will end up being a good experience overall.

Enjoy your kitty -- I am laid up w/a hip problem just now. Lortab has made it bearable, but my kitty's keeping me company, too!

Just for fun, I've got a pharmacy at my bedside as well. Just for the hip thing (awaiting today's xray results -- hopefully will hear tomorrow a.m.) I've got Lortab, Ultram, a multi-day steroid pack, and some other generic anti-inflammatory. And a couple of topical pain relief patches that my care practitioner gave me to try if I wanted. Freezer is nicely stocked w/ice gel packs.

On my bed, I have four books (including a two-book med. encyclopedia, and a sudoku collection), a phone, the DVD remote, the TV remote, the cat (she comes and goes at will -- she is a cat, after all), my laptop, my Theracane, my appointment book, and a Lego I just found (my son was watching a movie w/me earlier). I also have five pillows, and my crutches nearby. And a package of vanilla sandwich cremes (I was told I needed to take some of the meds w/food -- ha!).

Have not listed any CFS/FM meds...that would just take TOO long.

Unfortunately, something that SHOULD be in my bed (my husband) is not. He moved in to the guest room until I can sleep comfortably through the night again.

I am trying not to look at all the laundry that I had folded before the injury and cannot not put away because I can't carry anything when I 'crutch'![This Message was Edited on 08/04/2008]
  7. baanders

baanders New Member

Hugs to you. Sorry it it's been so hard. We are thinking about you. We know how hard this must be. Don't feel guilty. If your dr. told you this was necessary, please put those feelings behind you. Please just get the rest you need.