Made my appt. for clinical trials for cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurts2003, Oct 13, 2005.

1. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

Hi all just an update on whats going on with me. I called today for my 1st appt with the research study. I was hoping to get in there next Wed. since it was my day off but it was already booked up. I can't get in until Oct. 26 unless I want to miss a day of work. I took my last dose of trazodone last night after being on it for about 2 years. I haven't been able to sleep near as well since I cut down from 2 1/2 to 2 then to 1 and the pain is diffently worse than it was but it isn't unbearable yet. This should be lots of fun going 2 weeks without any meds to calm down the FM.

Went to PCP yesterday to get the letter giving the OK for the study and got him to check my elbow where I hit it last Monday. He did x-rays and said that I didn't chip or fracture anything but it was a really nasty bruise on the bone and I had a lot of inflamation around it. He said it may have hurt me less if I had fractured it instead of just a bruise. FUNNY BONES REALLY AREN'T FUNNY AT ALL.
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

About funny bones. As I was having ultrasound done on my elbow, I said it would be awful on my funny bone which wasn't funny at all.

That bang on your arm sounds awful! Does ice or heat help?

For the Cymbalta trial: what do you have to do? Be off all meds for a bit and not have certain other diseases? I just wondered how those things worked, not that I want to participate in any. Do you also have depression?

I've taken Effexor for quite some time, now, and it is a good one, so I do hope the trial works out for you. I also hope you can sleep since you have to wait for a bit.

Let us know what happens.

Sue
  3. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

They want be to be off of all anti-depressants and pain meds before I start the study. The first thing they said they would do would be to give me a drug test to make sure I wasn't on any. They said they didn't want me to be on anything because they really want to see how well the cymbalta does for the pain by itself. All thoughout the 58 week study I will have to take pop drug tests to make sure I'm not taking anything that I don't surposed to be. The only thing I can take for pain is Tylenol, Ibuprophen, or Aleve. I only took Lortab when it got so bad that I couldn't stand it anyway, try to stay away from pain meds if I can.

As for the depression - I'm not actually depressed but it is really hard not to be with this crappy ailment we all have to put up with.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I see! They only want to see if Cymbalta does well so nothing else. I surely hope it works wonderfully!

If you have high blood pressure, can you still take that med and be in a test? I just wondered...answer if you get around to it, but if now, that's perfectly OK.

Best wishes for great results.

Sue
  5. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

I don't know if they would accept anyone with Hgih BP or not. They asked me a bunch of questions about did I have this, that, or the other when I called the first time. Luckily all I really have wrong with me is the Fibro as if that isn't bad enough by itself. Then they said they would talk with the dr and let me know if I was accepted or not. The next day they called to tell me that I was accepted and all I had to do was go to my PCP for him to tell me how to wein off the effexor and trazodone and to give me a latter giving his OK for me to do the study.