Madwolf--A Question About Provigil, Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Madwolf,

Not long ago you asked about anyone here taking Provigil. I'm just wondering what conclusions you have drawn about its efficacy in treating fatigue.

I have never used stimulants for my fatigue as I think it unwise considering the low-level seizure activity in my brain. This drug, however, seems to involve a much smaller area of the brain and does not seem to interfere with the sleep cycle.

My new doc gave me some samples to try. I think I will go ahead and see what happens. It isn't very comforting, though, that in several places, I read that people get similar benefits from caffeine, although, caffeine does interfere with sleep.

Just though I would tickle your brain to see if you have formed any opinions of this drug. Thanks in advance for your help.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your opinion; I value it highly. I'll let you know how it's working for me. The pharmacist put it into the computer today and it said my ins. co. would cover it, but it's a $50 co-pay. I guess I'll have to decide whether it's worth it.

Hang in there with the ins. co. Persistance usually wins out. Most people don't realize this and just accept what they don't have to. Stubborness is a highly underrated quality. There is a whole set of steps in the grievance process, so don't take no for an answer. The final threat is to complain to the insurance commissioner's office in your state. Insurance companies hate that. If they don't come through, go ahead and do it. BTW, as you are probably aware, they review their formularies and requirements quarterly, so what is verbotten today may be acceptable tomorrow.

There is a suit pending for a generic version of this drug. I wasn't able to find out who is challenging the French company for the right to market a generic, but I doubt they have a leg to stand on until 2005 or 2006, depending on whether an extension is granted.

The good news is that this drug apparently has some Cocaine-type benefits which enhances mood. Since they won't legalize Mary Jane, this may be the next-best thing :)

Love, Mikie
  3. KayL

KayL New Member

My osteo wanted me to take Provigil several months ago. I forget what dosage it was, but I took half the dosage and I felt pretty good. He had given me 2 weeks worth of samples. My insurance company refused to pay for it, and a 30 day supply was something like $196.00 - way more than I could afford. If you can get it for a $50 copay, it might be worth it.

Karen