Madwolf, Anybody else....med. question?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Mar 14, 2003.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi all!! I guess I'm scaring myself here,but play along okay? I've been on pain meds,(mostly Ty#3,or Darvecet,fiorecet,and muscle relaxers flexeril and skelaxin)I've had all the above prescibed throughout my 10yr illness.It started with herniated disks/sciatica~Then add on FM,and also Endometriosis.With all the hype about liver&kidney damage from using pain meds.....thats whats scaring me. If you were me, or say I was your patient,what would you prescibe to me for moderate to severe pain?What drugs do you think have the least effects on your organs and your overall health? I know I can't do without,but I wish there was another way at relief.Do the duragesic patches bypass all?(not that I could get them anyway,Rheumy does'nt believe in their use for FM!!)
    I appreciate your time,
    With respect,
    Tracey
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

this back up~ Somebody should have some idea's,suggestions? please??
  3. pamela

pamela New Member

Superb question!! This is so relevant to all of us. I really need to know this as I take 5 Lorcet/10 mg. per day for my extended never ending pain!! Pammy
  4. blast

blast New Member

As long as you are taking the meds as perscribed, I wouldn't worry too much.
    I have been on pain meds, Lortab, Oxycontin, Duragesic Patch, Norco, etc. for over 6 years now, and my doctor does blood tests every 3-6 months on my liver and basic panels to make sure that I have no problems, and so far nothing.
    I take them as perscribed and I use them so I can have a life again, and without them I would be bed ridden, and go no where and not be able to take care of my children.
    Tylenol #3 is not an extremely potent narcotic, and I think you should be safe. Does it really help your pain?
    Why won't your Rhemy use Duragesic? They are wonderful for chronic pain, esp. back pain as that is what I have a lot of with sciatica.
    Make sure to have the blood tests done on your liver for the tylenol is the drug to worry about not the narcotic componet.
    Hope this helps.
    Sherri
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

As for the ty#3.....they take the edge off,I take two. I have darvecet also......So if I choose the darv. I need one or two.(works about the same for me)
    The duragesic patch,I've heard so much good for relief of pain~I asked about them.....she breifly explained what they were, but real quick and too the point she said she does'nt hear of them being used for FM.(she acted like thry were too strong for fibro pain!!!.....go figure!!)
    I do get bloodwork dome evry other time I see my Dr. so that would be timely I guess.I know your basic bloodwork is ordered but I'm not sure about the liver panel one???(I"ll ask next time)You'd think it would be ??? I just don't recall her ever saying so. I may try to get into a pain clinic,for better pain control.My Rhuemy does'nt seem to know enough about FM!!I think she has mostly other arthritic conditions as patients~(it seems)
    I mean,I asked her once about provigil being used to treat fatigue in FM.She was surprized and said"huh,I did'nt know that,really?"(sorta like....who told you that!)
    Basically she sux! but I have no others in this area.So I'll make due untill something better comes my way~
    In my city.....there are no Rheaumatologists!! Can you believe that?!! everyone has to go out of town.
    Well thanx again for your sight on this~
    I hope Madwolf can answer this~
    Take care-
    Regards,
    Tracey
  6. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Many of the opiod pain meds contain acetaminaphen, aspirin, or ibuprofen. There are contradictions to the long term use of these pain meds for that reason. There are opiod pain medications that do not have those added to them. You should discuss this with your doctor, and ask if you should be concerned about the addition of aspirin, acetaminaphen, and ibuprofen. Since Fibro alone, does not have inflammatory properties these additional meds are not deemed very useful, and have been known to damage some. If you have arthritic, or other inflammatory disorders, they may be helping you. Here are some opiods...so that you can see which have the above mentioned additives.

Oxycodone:

Tablets- 5 mg (Roxicodone, Supeudol)
    Controlled-release tablets- 10, 20, 40 mg (OxyContin)
    Oral solution- 5 mg/5 ml in 500 ml bottle (Roxicodone)
    Concentrated oral solution- 20 mg/ml in 30 ml bottle with dropper (Roxicodone Intensol)
    Suppositories- 10 mg (Supeudol) (Canada)
    20 mg (Supeudol) (Canada)
    Oxycodone/Acetaminophen:

Tablets- 5 mg oxycodone with 325 mg acetaminophen (Endocet, Oxycet, Percocet, Roxicet)
    Capsules- 5 mg oxycodone with 500 mg acetaminophen (Roxilox, Tylox)
    Caplets- 5 mg oxycodone with 500 mg acetaminophen (Roxicet 5/500)
    Oral Solution- 5 mg oxycodone with 325 mg acetaminophen/5 ml (Roxicet Solution) in 500 ml bottles
    Oxycodone/Aspirin:

Tablets- 2.44 mg oxycodone with 325 mg aspirin (Percodan-Demi)
    4.88 mg oxycodone with 325 mg aspirin (Endodan, Oxycodan, Percodan, Roxiprin)
    Do not crush tablets. Must be taken whole.

ACETAMINOPHEN-HYDROCODONE - Vicodin®, Lortab®, Lorcet®, Norco®
    a combination of two different pain medicine used to treat moderate to severe pain.
    acetaminophen-hydrocodone

BRAND NAME:
    Darvon
    Provided by Thomson PDR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also known as:
    BRAND NAME:
    Darvocet-N
    PRONOUNCED: DAR-voe-set en
    GENERIC INGREDIENTS: Propoxyphene napsylate, Acetaminophen
    OTHER BRAND NAME: Darvon-N (propoxyphene napsylate), Darvon (propoxyphene hydrochloride), Darvon Compound-65 (propoxyphene hydrochloride, aspirin, and caffeine)

Why is this drug prescribed?
    Darvocet-N and Darvon Compound-65 are mild narcotic analgesics prescribed for the relief of mild to moderate pain

Best wishes, LL
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2003]
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

to keep up~ this otta do it??
  8. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi tandy! Probably the most dangerous med you mentioned is the plain tylenol (acetaminophen) in these combo meds. I was taking 2 vicodinES (each with 750 mgs tylenol)so getting 1.5 grams per dose, max daily dose is 4 grams or severely liver toxic. Because of this i added milk thistle to my herbal regime, and asked for vicodin 10/500 so if necessary to take 2, only 1 gram of tylenol. (same as in 2 ex.strength tyl.) you need to avoid alcohol because of the tylenol, but who can drink anyway with all of the junk we have to take just to function! My rheumatologist truly believes in muscle relaxants, sleep improvements,and exercise is all that is necessary--never gives narcotics. Must be something they are taught in rheum school--right beside pt torure 101!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say that since i came off of duragesic (lots of info on here--search the board for it) and tried it his way--i haven't worked in 6 weeks and do not see myself going back any time soon! Good luck to you! Laurie
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

this up again~ I NEED to know more~
    Thanks so far for all replys!
    I'm not overusing the tylenol,(from whats said is OK)
    But its been years that i've been taking this stuff!!
    Just hoped for a better solution~something less damaging~
    Take care....
    Tracey
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

Once more,I promise! I think madwolf is off today~So maybe he'll see this~ Thanks!
  11. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Home Madwolf or anyone else can answer this one too.
    I have FM/CFS/CMP along with arthritis & was on ibruprofen in high doses for years before I finally found a rheumy who'd give me something stronger to help with nerve pain - now I'm taking Neurontin 300mg 3xday and he switched me to Naproxen 500mg 2xday for the arthritis. I heard it's considered safer than tylonol but it's still an anti-inflammatory so I wonder. I sometimes get these sharp pains in my kidney area and wondered if that was a symptom of kidneys having problems. Also lately I seem to drink a lot of water but don't go to bathroom that much - does that mean anything? I haven't had a blood test for some time so I guess I should get one.

Thanks & Blessings to you all.
    AS
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

I'd love to try out the duragesic(patches,right?)
    I might have better luck trying to get a referral to a pain clinic.(to get a script)My Rheumy has already said that she will not presribe duragestic for the pain of FM.
    (she seems to think that they are too strong)I have'nt a clue....maybe they are.I certainly don't doubt her.
    hmmmmmmm.......
    Many thanks!
    Regards,
    Tracey