Madwolf (Help Please) Anyone else had this shot?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Reg1, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

I had a cortisone antiinflammory injection yesterday. I had so much pain i could barely walk. My Pain management Dr. suggested that it would reduce inflammtation. Had so many questions, forgot to ask, how long does this shot last? Is there any chance of tissue damage if continued?. I really do not feel that much of a difference. Please elabarate. Thanks Brother. (((((((Gentle Hugs))))))) Reg
  2. tedebear

tedebear New Member

In different areas. They last anywhere from 3-6 months. Does take the edge off.
    Good luck. Soft hugs.
  3. Nikki

Nikki Member

I strained my back sometime on Sun and by Mon a.m. I could hardly stand the pain . . . couldn't sit or stand. My husband and I scheduled a trip to Italy (before I had my 1st fibro flare)and I just knew we were going to have to cancel (we're scheduled to leave 4 wks from this past Mon). I was lucky enough to get an appt with my orthopaedic dr Mon a.m. He started me on decadron (2 tablets after breakfast and 2 after supper for 3 days only . . . I finished up last night). He also Rx'd Ultrastat (pain) and Mobic(anti inflammatory) (which I take at night beginning tonight). I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel. I didn't think the back thing was related to the fibro, but my entire body feels so much better. Only hope it lasts.

Hope the injection will eventually work for you.

Nikki
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Steroids are not recommended for FMS as it is not an inflammatory illness. The steroids, for whatever reason, do seem to help a little in the short run, but steroids are very serious medicine and should not be used except where painful inflammation is unbearable. In that case, the shots are used locally. The only other time is when inflammation in the body is life threatening.

None of the experts in our illness recommend ongoing steroid shots, as the long-term effects can affect our adrenal production and this can be serious. Docs who do not know much about our illnesses are usually the ones who recommend steroid shots. My own doc gave me two of them before I found out how dangerous this can be. I told him about it. Fortunately, he is willing to learn.

Love, Mikie
  5. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

Mikie, thank you responding to my post, which is very important to me. I have been feeling so horrible the last 2to3weeks, i think i would have settled for anything to stop all this maddness. I mean i have had burning stabbing tingling, knawing, aching, redness, not being able to close my eyes and hands, numbness in the back of head and total fatigue. The information you gave me is just what i needed. So matter what, that will be the last shot for me. And as far as i caan tell right now, it only takes the edge off. Again thanks, God bless you, Love Reg
  6. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

Thanks for your response. You said you get them in different areas. Does the shot help all over, or just that one area? Thanks Reg
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some people have also received some comfort from Vioxx and Celebrex even though they are not very useful for the heavy-duty chronic pain of our illnesses. Again, they take the edge off. This has always led me to believe that there can be some inflammation in surrounding tissue wherever there is significant pain in the body. Inflammation is the immune system's response to certain triggers or irritants. So, yes, while I believe that our illnesses are not inflammatory in nature, this does not mean there is not inflammation in the body. The question is, does one want to use a sledge hammer to kill a gnat? I am not referring to our primary pain of CFS/FMS as the gnat but rather the accompanying inflammation which may co-exist. If it is serious inflammation of a co-existing illness, then that is another matter.

Steroids are very serious drugs. I have had two local shots to stop the unbearable plain of costo chondritis which radiated down my arm and out my back making sleep impossible. Each shot held me for a year. I also had a very small amount injected into a neuroma on my foot which was so painful that walking was impossible. I weighed the risk versus what the shots could do and decided to go ahead.

Each of us has to do this risk versus benefit whenever we agree to any treatment. Some treatments are much more benign, generally speaking, than others.

Love, Mikie
  8. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Only in the area of injection site. Give them a go if the pain is constant and somewhat unbearable.
    Soft hugs.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Seems to me that we are both on the same page. I think we are saying it differently but are saying basically the same thing.

I came to my conclusions when I realized that some do get some relief from the Celebrex and Vioxx. I also believe that since inflammation is a reaction from the immune system that there is an inflammatory component to our illnesses. Finally, we do seem to be prone to inflammatory problems like asthma and costo chondritis.

Unfortunately, not all health practitioners are as conscientious as you in administering steroids, or other dangerous drugs for that matter. The ignorance which still exists among many docs regarding our illnesses is astounding.

Love, Mikie

10. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

First of all thank all of you for the info. Information is powerful. I posted earlier that i was dx in October, 2001 with FM, dx with l8 tender points. I always have the morning stiffness, sometimes to the point whereas my hubby has to carry me to the bathroom, i have dizzenss, brain fog, sometimes can't remember one thing to the next, sinesses, depression, and other symptoms. However, these other problems i've explained, just started about 3 weeks ago. I'm wondeering if i should have an extensive workup done, just to rule out anything else. Again Thank You All for your informative responses. Oh, by the way, so far the shot has only ease my back pain. Reg
  11. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

How do you know if it's an inflammation as opposed to something else? I recently was having terrible pain on the right side of my head, radiating down to my neck and back. I went to my family doctor who suggested I take some anti-inflammatories. After a few days the pain subsided. How can you tell if it's inflammation or not? Thanks!

Annette2
  12. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

Thanks for asking that ?. I wondered if i was dx with inflammation just by what my consult was and back exam.
    DITTO GIRL![This Message was Edited on 01/17/2003]
  13. wander

wander New Member

Madwolf
    Try asking your doctor about trigger point injections. They are given at the tender point areas which you can easily find and that leades them to the trigger points which cause pain in referred areas of the body. Trigger points are hidden unlike the tender points. The injections can be very effective.

Also I get Acpunture on a regular basis. Big help. And regular massage therapy but important to find right health care givers who know fibro well.

A very small amount of steriods is used in the trigger point injections and is not absorbed by the body stystemically. They are not the most pleasant to get but I have have relief for up to 6 months.
    Hope this helps.
    Wander

[This Message was Edited on 01/26/2003]
  14. JP

JP New Member

Hi Reg,

I had 2 or 3 cortisone shots into my ankle joint without relief. In fact, it increased my symptoms. In my case, it was a wrong Dx. I had a talar dome injury with bone death. Since my reconstructive surgery and bone graft, my ankle is in great shape. I still have pain and nothing like the pain prior to the reconstruction.

Good luck...Jan
  15. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

Cortisone is very dangerous to your body. Especially when given a lot. I did a lot of research on this due to the fact that I was given 6 in less then 4 months, not by choice mind you. I have have severe reactions to this crap and will probably live with the side effects for the rest of my life due to it. Every time I went to the Doctor he would shoot me up with the junk. I have often wondered where does it go? I would strongly recommend finding anything else but cortisone for pain especially with FM. Madwolf i totally agree that it does help with bursitis but it should not be used just because someone is in pain.

Something to think about. I read a book on the man that brought cortisone to the medical field. He seen the side effects that it did to people and could not bare to live with the guilt and committed suicide over this.

Just my input on it, I would use anti inflamitories before another needle will be stuck in my body with that terrible stuff.
    Joannie
  16. healing

healing New Member

I have had trigger point injections and injections into joints with cortisone, but I also have had great benefit from lidocaine (sp?) injections into trigger points and even just simple "needling" of stubborn trigger points to relieve pain. Hurts like crazy, but it does work, and it isn't shooting poison into you.
  17. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I've only had one cortisone shot, and it was before I realized I had FM. I have carpal tunnel, and the worker's comp doc sent me to the Hand Clinic in Indy. In all their brilliance, they decided to give me a shot in my wrist!!!

OMG... That was so painful, and it made my pain 10 times worse. I will never let anyone give me another one of those shots...

I'm sure it works for some, but I would worry about long term effects...
  18. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Hate to burst the bubble....but anything that is injected into your body..always ends up systemic!! Any Doc who tells you otherwise is not being truthful. May not be a direct route, but ends up to some degree throughout your body.

I also have to have the shots a few times a year also, but only when I desperately need them. They are not for freq use. It concerned me when someone said it's only a "small amt." Doesn't makes any differance. It still stores up in the body.

Small capilaries, fat tissue, muscle tissue, even your skin....will absorb what ever is injected into it and it will get dispersed, eventually ending up to some degree in the circlatory system.

Think about all the chemicals we discuss everyday and how coming into contact can cause systemic problems. Another good example is estrogen patches (placed on skin) Duragesic patches for pain (placed on skin) nitro-cream (for heart patients..placed on skin)

They are great if you need them. But pay close attention to how many you get... Remember, this is a steroid. It can accumulate with oral doses which are a more direct route, and is systemic.

Susan B
  19. coulters

coulters New Member

I have recently been diagnosed with costo chondritis. My doctor wants to send me to have these shots too. The pain was so bad he couldn't do anything else for me except prescribe pain meds. I did find on one site a list of natural supplements that seem to be working for me. I don't have all of the list, but the main one is Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I take the 250/200mg twice a day, and I also take ginger twice a day and vitamin e once a day (I weigh about 110). Several people I talked to say the glucosamine/chondroitin is great for inflammation and joint pain. After about a week, I could tell the difference in the pain. I still have it, but it's getting better. All I can say is Go Natural and stay away from those shots!
  20. nancyw

nancyw New Member

What perfect timing. Thanks. I dx'd with fibro last month. Pain is really bad and I'm so weak in the hands and arms can't open doors with round knobs anymore. Had to go to ER other night for breathing/coughing (bronchitis). Doc said wasn't pneumonia or bronchitis, just inflammation in my lungs. Gave me shot of decadron (cortizone). Received shot in left hip. Shot didn't hurt, but within about 1 minute, I got severe muscle spasm at location. Next morning, I woke up and was TOTALLY pain free, but extremely hyper! I had the strength back in my hands and arms, could stand up straight...NO PAIN. So disappointed to find out that this was only temporary. Shot was Saturday PM, now Monday PM and everything is coming back little by little. Pretty depressed about the short lived "cure". Just letting you guys know.