Madwolf - Here are the answers to your questions!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Katlover, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Katlover

Katlover New Member

I'd LOVE to get down to the bottom of this!! Here are the answers to your questions. Sorry it took so long to post them here...Still getting the hang of messageboards!!!

1. How much uninterrupted sleep do you get? (go to sleeep, sleep for x amount of time and wake up) At least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep are necessary. Note: this is not total sleep.
    A. No, sure don't get THAT much uninterrupted sleep. I'm taking Elavil to help me sleep, but I still wake up every couple of hours or so. I have to sleep on my sides, can't sleep on my back or stomach. My arms go to "sleep" and start "buzzing" (I've got a bulging disk in C5-6 and have had my left shoulder operated on twice to take out the AC joint) and hips start hurting and wake me up (plus, I usually have to go to the bathroom at least once -even though I don't drink a lot after 7 or so - don't drink alcohol at all - just decaf tea and water at night. One vanilla coke at 11:30 a.m. with my lunch!). I just bought a "sound conditioner" to block out night sounds (we live in the country so we hear frogs, crickets, etc., plus we've got two dogs and three cats who are inside all night (but really are good - most sleep through the night or only get up when I do and then settle right back down!!))

2. Do you snore? Snoring may be a sign of sleep apnea where you stop breathing and then startle awake as much as 15 times a minute. Creates a "fight or flight" situation each time and floods the body with adreniline each time. Does all sorts of nasty things.
    A. I "snorkle" if I try to sleep on my back (that is one reason I don't even try to sleep like that!). I've got a bulging disk at C5-6 (thanks to a car wreck).

3. Do you nap during the day. Napping can cause havoc with sleep.
    A. Don't nap - work from 7:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. I do try to steal a nap on the weekend sometimes!

4. Do you use any sleep aids like Prosom, Xanax, Remeron? The benzodiazepines interfere with the restful sleep.
    A. Sleep aids - Elavil. It does seem to help some. Before I started taking it I didn't even get as much sleep as I get now!

5. Do you have Restless Leg Syndrome? That can flood you with adreniline, also.
    A. I don't think I've got Restless Legs Syndrome (from what I've read about it). I do get Charlie Horses in my calves if I have been standing on my feet for a long time.

Do you think there is any hope for me? Am I doomed to be this tired forever? I hate to whine, but I am just SO tired of being tired!!! Thank you so much for any help you can give me, madwolf! I am SO tired of being tired! I don't know if I need to try to reduce my work time (from 40 hours per week to 32) or what!!
  2. bluebirder

bluebirder New Member

SLEEP:
    Before meds I couldn't get to sleep before 2am without rocking back & forth for an hour or so and pain waking me up several times nightly. Woke up dead tired in morning.
    After meds (Elavil & Paxil: add if needed Ulracet & Ambium) I can now sleep from about 2am-8am or at least get back to sleep if woken during that time.Still tired when wake but not quite as bad. Still get tired & worn out later in day (by 10zm or 2pm). I try to move around, exercise to keep from napping.

MEDICATIONS:
    Elavil & Paxil nightly
    add Ambein & Ultracet if have to

RESTLESS LEG
    Definately (used to wake me up) have this and legg tiredness/muscle cramps. Sitting in Church I shake my foot or bounce/swing my leg and drive hubby nuts.

SNORING; Yes
  3. Lendi

Lendi New Member

1. How much uninterrupted sleep do you get? (go to sleeep, sleep for x amount of time and wake up) At least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep are necessary. Note: this is not total sleep.
    A. I wake up every hour unless I take medications. And, I don't go to sleep until very very late and am awake around 6:00. Ambien works after about 2 hrs, then only last for 2-4 hrs. After that I'm awake for the rest of the night. I'm taking restoril now. 15 mg does nothing but cause me nightmares. 30 mg helps me but I still wake up in about 4 hrs.
    2. Do you snore? Snoring may be a sign of sleep apnea where you stop breathing and then startle awake as much as 15 times a minute. Creates a "fight or flight" situation each time and floods the body with adreniline each time. Does all sorts of nasty things.
    A. No snoring unless I have a cold. Had a sleep study and apnea is not an issue nor is restless leg. I sleep in stages 1 and 2.
    3. Do you nap during the day. Napping can cause havoc with sleep.
    A. Don't nap - Nope, I work. But, even on weekends I doze, some for an hr or so, but I am aware of everything that is going on. Even can tell you what's going on the tv. I'm just too tired to keep my eyes open, but don't sleep. Hate this the most, so boring.
    4. Do you use any sleep aids like Prosom, Xanax, Remeron? The benzodiazepines interfere with the restful sleep.
    A. As stated above. Tried otc with no luck. Ambien gave me 2 good hrs. Restoril gives me a little more, but I feel more druggy. And, I have a lot more pain with the restoril. I think the time I sleep is so hard I don't move. I have carpal tunnel and thoracic outlet to go along with everything else. Sometimes my arms hurt so much it wakes me up and I can't go back to sleep, but I'm just too tired to get up and get ibuprofen. Mr Dr. won't give me pain meds. I wake up at about 2:00 after going to bed at 10:00-10:30. I also take celexa in the morning, and synthroid for thyroid. I take lotrel for high blood pressure and restoril in the evening.
    5. Do you have Restless Leg Syndrome? That can flood you with adreniline, also.
    A. No restless leg.
  4. Lendi

Lendi New Member

My Dr. has already told me that he thinks I just have a severe sleep disorder and depression and he will not give me any pain med. I didn't ask him for any. My neurologist is the one who read the sleep study and said I absolutely have CFS as far as anyone could know. I'm looking for a new Primary Care Physician now. Thanks for the help. I'll definitely try Wild Lettuce Tea. Thanks, you are terrific to share your knowledge. Lendi

[ advertisement ]