Madwolf..Jaysea and others..thyroid question.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stillafreemind, Mar 12, 2003.

1. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

Today after my chiro appointment..I went to the PA that had ordered my lymes test and my thyroid pane..

My T4 is 7.9 and my T3 is 0.91. To me, I think this shows that my T4 is not getting converted to T3. Everything was on the low normal and mid normal ranges.

In Jayseas article .. it said that iodine was something that could help this conversion..thus..when I started it six days ago..boom.

This seems to be a very big part to my puzzle. And since I was 20..I have been tested for thyroid and diabetes everytime I hit a doctors door. All came back normal..Thirty years later...symptoms have not changed..tests have not changed..BUT taking the iodine HAS changed something.

My PA was not happy..I had asked her if there was such a thing as overdoing it (assuring her that I always take the prescribed dose and alot of times only half of that). But she was not excited, I do not think she even really cared that for the first time in I do not know how long...I have had five..count em five decent days in a row.

Now I am not saying that I am cured..I still have pain..but things are better, way better. It is also like a switch in my brain has decided to turn on..does this make sense to anyone?

At the bottom of my paper..it has Lyme Disease Serolo..then it says test referred to Mayo laboratories...but no results..I give up..course they want their money like yesterday..but this test paper came back with the date Oct 31..gee...do ya think someone could have noticed that there is no result written down yet?

I really would like any input on this. I would have to say that this has been, so far, the biggest gain I have ever had, I so hope that it is lasting.

Thank you for your help. ..Sherry
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2003]
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I read this with interest, as I was just tested yesterday for T-3. I was wondering about the specific symptoms you had of thyroid problems------I am freezing all the time especially my extremities, and my hands and feet are very painful. I have had no "red flags" raised before with thyroid testing, but only standard test was done-my new doc says T-3 is the most important one!

I'm just waiting for my results & wondering what symptoms you had & how they've changed with iodine (and do you mean iodine, like in salt?)

Thanks for the help, & I'm sorry your doctor wasn't more excited about this-----at least YOU know what this means for your health & well-being!

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. MelanieThebirdlover

MelanieThebirdlover New Member

I was also wondering about this. I am on synthroid now for 2 months, but I still feel like crap!! I don't know what mt TH-3?(this might b wrong, sry) is. I'm interested in the iodine aswell, but don't know to much about it. Does anyone know exactly what iodine to buy. Please let us know. Thank you in advance.

Melanie
  4. MelanieThebirdlover

I was also wondering about this. I am on synthroid now for 2 months, but I still feel like crap!! I don't know what mt TH-3?(this might b wrong, sry) is. I'm interested in the iodine aswell, but don't know to much about it. Does anyone know exactly what iodine to buy. Please let us know. Thank you in advance.

Melanie
  5. stillafreemind

I must say that for most of my life I have been cold...now my hands and feet have started warming up. Still, I get chills/sweats at night..go figure..

My absolute biggest complaint..and the reason I always ended up being tested was the fatigue. I must say it has gotten much worse the last two or three years. BUT..if this is actually my thyroid screwing up..I do not think it got there over night..I think as more time has gone by..the more my thyroid has stopped functioning like my body would like it to. I am also close to menopause or at least I think I am .. so hormones are in an uproar alot!!<G>

I also have always had low blood pressure..light headedness etc. I actually had a doc tell me a couple of years ago to go home and salt he heck out of things.

I am taking a kelp capsule now..it is the source of my iodine. And like I say... within like fifteen minutes..I was bookin..I do not get that immediate fix with just salt.

I read up on kelp by doing a search on the net. I use msn .. and typed in kelp. I like reading the encyclopedia versions..cause they are not selling anything..just stating the facts as they know them. I was totally amazed at what kelp is good for..my Mom used it 35 years ago for dysplasia of the breast and cervix..she was fine and it took care of the problem.

I read also that it is great breast protection against cancer. The Japanese women do not get as much cancer...everyone thought it was the soy....that was the big thing..now there are very differing views on how good soy really is..especially in this biotech world we live in . They went back and looked at them again..and said hey..they eat alot of kelp..as in most of their meals..so now alot of docs are thinking it was the kelp and not so much the soy.

Any way..I wish you well on your tests and I really hope you will do a search on kelp..I cannot even list all the things it can benefit us on.
    Stay in touch Pam..let me know how you are doing..as for me..this is day six..I am still riding this pony, and I will keep you updated on how long this lasts! blessings...Sherry
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2003]
  6. MelanieThebirdlover

Thanks so much for the info. I am going to check it out and will keep you posted. I'm glad you found some relief :) and hope it last forever!! ;-) Take good care. bye 4 now...

Melanie
  7. kadeedidit

kadeedidit New Member

I was researching the kelp and i'm curious. Don't know if you can say on here but how much does a person take and even if your body doesn't need it.....is it ok to take?
    I see Pro Health doesn't carry it....kind of wondered where to get it.
    Isn't is awful to be so desperate that you'll try about anything. Some days I just don't wanna be here.
  8. stillafreemind

I am so sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I take one called Dailys..but Mom picks hers up at health food stores..I even believe that they have them at Walmart or Walgreens.

There are verying amounts of iodine, mine is 225 and Moms is 175. I have decided to start out by taking mine every third or every other day as it is a higher content of iodine.

If you read about kelp..you will know if there is a reason not to take it. I did a bunch of reading on it too. If you can take it..I do not believe there is any side effects except mild heartburn or something like that for a few. If that were to happen to me, I think I would take it with a meal or toast or something.

Again..I am sorry it took so long to get back to you..It has been a week for me now..yesterday I got windows washed both sides on half the house. I thought YIKES..I will pay for this tomorrow..but Praise to God..I am no more sore than usual! LOL!!

Good luck and let me know how it goes, also..do not know if you read Wendy Cs post..I will bump it..but it actually goes to the heart of why I think we get messed up and come down with this stuff.

blessings kadee...Sherry
  9. Dozzer

Dozzer New Member

I would say that five good days is nothing but wonderful. I am curious about testing for thyroid problems. I understand that the "normal" test doesn't tell the whole story--that you should ask for a special kind. Do you know what that kind is and what are your symptoms do you experience that relate to your thyroid other than fatigue? Congrats on FIVE DAYS. Dozzer
  10. stillafreemind

I had a thyroid pane done..that is just a thyroid test. I asked them to be sure to run the T4 and T3 ..they did and they are listed on the results. Both fell in the normal range..of course..but the T4 did not look like it was converting into T3 very well. A little help from kelp and I am feeling much better.

Not only was I feeling fatigued..but my bodys thermostat just does not work right! LOL... also..MY HAIR..was falling out by the hand fulls..no joke. Now I know this is going to be hard to believe..but that part has really slowed down too.

I hope this helps..heck kelp is kelp and you can take it no matter what your thyroid is doing..if your thyroid is off a little..it may well help you out. It is great for protection of the breast against cancer and sooooo many other things.

Jaysea wrote a great post..think it is still on page one or two. It had alot of good things in it .. it was on eating cold water fish. Also Wendy C has a tremendous post on foods and supplements that I feel is a big part of the puzzle.

Good luck..hope your health improves soon...Sherry