Madwolf, Klutzo, others - any opinions on Natural Calm magnesium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jadibeler, Aug 8, 2003.

1. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I picked up a flyer at the health food store and I would like some feedback on this product. It is called Natural Calm, powdered magnesium. It dissolves in a tea.

The flyer, of course, was a sales pitch. (reads like a snake oil salesman speaking to 8th graders). I recognize that all the facts about magnesium deficiency are true but are the claims made for the product true? Sounds too good to be. . .

Supposedly, it is recommended by many chiropractors and naturopaths, with astounding results.

What do "our" health care professionals think? Has anyone here used it?

JoAnn
  2. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I'm bumping this up. I spent hours researching "Natural Calm" and the inventer of the patented "delivery system" that supposedly makes it's effects instantaneous, with no luck. All the websites were selling the product and so were most of the ones with Peter Gillham's name in them. i could learn nothing except the fact that he is a magnesium researcher and has developed a whole line of supplements under the brand name of Natural Vitality.

I'm hoping someone here has used it. It's rather expensive and I'd like to know how well it works before I buy it. I have to admit, I'd like to know what it tastes like, too!!

JoAnn
  3. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

but just wanted to bump this for you and everyone else who's curious...

4. tansy

tansy New Member

if so there should be some info in her replies to posts. Would be worth seeing if a message search on natural calm brings these up.

Mg citrate in one of the more absorbable forms and it may well be it's even better as a powder.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2003]
  5. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

All I can say is Calm helps calm me down and relax. I use it in my nighttime tea before bed or if I wake in the middle of night and can't go back to sleep. It is expensive but it lasts a long time. The sales pitch is a bit overexagerated and I was apprehensive at first but as bad as we need magnesium I figured it couldn't hurt to try it and I'm glad I did.

Blessings,
    Shaky
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have not taken this product, but it is better to get Mg in powder form as hard tablets may not dissolve and be absorbed properly.
    Glycinate, asporotate, and citrate are the best forms of Mg to take.
    If it is not outrageously expensive compared to other Mg supps. you might try it. Or, you might also try ZMA, which you can purchase here in the ProHealth store. (ZMA is what Shirl takes).
    Bedtime is the best time to take Mg, and work up slowly to the dose so you don't get diarreha.
    Let us know how it works for you,
    Klutzo
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are going to get insurance, it would be a good idea for them to get it before having this gene checked out.

Love, Mikie
  8. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

My acupuncturist recommended magnesium to me as part of my alternative medicine treatment for FM, I am doing both at the same time right now I swallow like 40 million pills a day it seems. lol If you wanna know the other ones she recommends she told me to buy B complex for energy, Wobenzyme to help me digest my food better, malic acid, calcium, fever few for my migraines, menstrual cramps, and pain as well, and a chinese herb I don't know the name of but she gave it to me.

my doctor told me to go ahead with the acupuncture it can't hurt, I talked to my gynecologist about it too and she said it's great that I'm trying whatever I can especially the herbs. Some doctors get mad at stuff like that though. It just depends.
    -Megan
  9. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

OK, I did seach the past posts on Natural Calm but most of them dealt with constipation. I can understand that - I'm leary of mag. citrate since the experience I had with it before a lower-GI barium X-ray back in the 60's. I had to drink a whole bottle of it the night before and one the morning of the test. I thought I was going to die!

I have alternating constipation and diahrrea (and the diahrrea has been really bad since I started on the Water Cure 2 wks ago). So I'm concerned about that aspect of it.

The Natural Calm is different from other powdered forms due to the patented delivery system, which makes it work almost instantly.

JoAnn
  10. bct

bct Well-Known Member

JUST STARTED USING THIS LAST WEEK, HAVE HAD NO BAD SIDE EFFECTS, TASTES GOOD. I AGREE THAT THE PAMPHLET PITCH WAS SO HYPER THAT I ALMOST DIDN'T BUY THE STUFF!!! I TOLD MY ACUPUNCTURIST/NUTRIONIST THAT I WAS TAKING IT AND SHE SAID EVERYONE OVER 40 SHOULD TAKE MAG. SUPPS. AND THIS ONE SOUNDED GOOD TO HER. SO HERE I GO... BEST WISHES, BARRY
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Not one of your health care professionals, but am very familiar with 'Natural Calm (magnesium citrate)' by Natural Vitality.

It is nothing short of a miracle for constipation,pain and it will help calm down an anxiety attack.

If I am in a FM flare, I will take a heaping teaspoon in 4 ounces of hot water, it fizzes like an Alka Seltzer and it also has a citrus taste.

The only problem with it is you can't take too much of it, as it can give you diarrhea. So I take it when I need to for severe pain, constipation, or if I get one of those famous jittery feelings coming on.

Its so good I have suggested that ProHealth carry this product for us, like they did with ZMA and a few others.

It is quickly absorbed by the body.

You are right, the flyer in the Heathfood stores does sound like 'snake oil', but it truly is a great product. Thats how I came to buy it, through that same flyer you probably have!

Its so good, I buy it by the case now so that I do not run out of it.

Shalom, Shirl