Madwolf . . . please help (re Klonopin)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

I'm totally confused about Klonopin. I had my 2nd (follow-up) visit w/my Rheumy today (I was dx'd with FM in Mar). He rx'd klonopin .5 mg @ night only and told me to stop taking my flexeril and up my Trazadone from 100 to 150 . . . taking Ambien w/it was kinda left up to me . . . personally, I think all this would put me in a coma. I think he said he was rx'g this to calm down the neurons that were firing (misfiring) in the brain. He believes FM is a bio chemical disease (maybe he's right . . . my mom is bi-polar). Anyway, I got the impression he was rx'g this drug to help with my muscle pain as well as for sleep. He's also rx'g Lorcet (7.5) for pain . . . 1/2 to 1 tablets up to 3x day. I'm a caregiver for my mom so I can't take the Lorcet on a regular basis as I need as many synapses as possible firing at all times . . . (reading that sentence back, it sounds like I'm synapse challenged). And the question to you is.....does the thing about the Klonopin sound right?

Any insight you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Nikki
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Klonopin is an antiseizure/antispasmodic med which is prescribed to calm the misfiring of the neurons in our brains. It helps me to sleep, has gotten rid of my anxiety/panic attacks, and reduced sensory overload.

There is an excellent article in our library here by Dr. Paul Cheney on Klonopin which does an excellent job of explaining how it works. Some researchers believe that Klonopin may disrupt pain signals in the brain as well.

Love, Mikie
  3. Nikki

Nikki Member

Last night was my 1st time to take generic Klonopin (5mg). I did not take my Ambien or my Flexeril. But did take 150 mg of Trazadone (as rx'd).

I did not like the way it made me feel. It really affected my MVPS (waves of anxiety, which, thankfully, are not an every day occurence for me). I woke up several times but did manage to go back to sleep. I don't feel groggy this a.m. even tho I took it rather late last night; however, the feelings of anxiety are very intense and uncomfortable this a.m. (I'm waiting for my Inderal to kick in). The good news is the rather intense pain I've been having for the past 2 wks is somewhat decreased this a.m. (coincidence . . . who knows). Then, of course, 1 night can't possibly be the final indicator of how I will do on this drug.

I will do the research. Thanks again.