Madwolf re: easy test for hypoadrenalism

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Jun 2, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've been told there is an even easier way to tell if one is adrenally challenged.
    You lay down for five minutes and have someone take your blood pressure while laying down, then you stand up quickly and have them take it again right away.
    Persons with normal adrenals will have the same pressures in both positions.
    Persons with hypoadrenalism will have lower systolic pressure when standing, and the wider the difference between the laying and standing reading, the greater the insufficiency.
    For example, my standing systolic is 22 pts. lower than my laying down systolic.
    What do you think of this method? I am not suggesting it should be substituted for tests such as 8 am serum cortisol, or the salivary ASI, but that it might be used to quickly convince an unbelieving M. D. that further tests are needed.
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2003]
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Thats cool Klutzo! Now all I need to do is get a blood pressure machine. Don't ask, just never though of getting one before.

Have a brand name that is good? I don't have a clue about something like that.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I don't want to rain on your parade, but first I must say that I HATE those digital machines. They are woefully inaccurate...they read too low and give a false sense of security to those like me with high BP.
    Get a real honest-to-God old-fashioned cuff with a stethoscope. I got mine at the drugstore. It's a cheapie and it works just fine. It is worth the extra effort to learn how to do it right and not use a machine. If you have zero experience with one, follow the instructions in the booklet that comes with it, but you will still probably need to be taught just once how to hear the change that marks the start of the systolic reading. Just take it to your next doctor's appt. and ask the nurse to show you how to use it. I've been doing it myself for years now.
    I'd like to add that a blood pressure reading is only as good as your hearing. If you have a hearing problem, doing this yourself is not a good idea.
    Klutzo
    P.S. Shirl - finally saw the picture you posted. Has anyone ever told you you look like the actress Laura San Giacomo? (No sure how to spell her last name).
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Pupil responds by bouncing or pulsing, rather than staying constricted from a light source in a darkened room. My doctor used this on me and I was the first patient he had respond. He was so excited he went and brought his whole staff in to watch, since he had been trying to explain to them how it worked.

He also did the BP testing and the adrenocortex profile, which confirmed the adrenal fatigue.

Sorry to butt in - just wanted to share my experience,
    Lane
  5. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

The pupils should stay constricted for at least the first 10 seconds without any enlargement. If they they change (bounce/pulse) before this time, consider adrenal fatigue.

Cool Huh?

Lane
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2003]
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had forgotten about this one! I did have this pupil test done and it was normal, but I still flunk the blood pressure test most times (but not every time). It seems to me the longer I've been just sitting or laying around before the blood pressure is taken, the worse I flunk the test....don't know what that would mean. Maybe it just means "dysautonomia with denervation of organs", which is what Dr. Sam Yue says FMS is, and that would explain this whole thing. Which to believe? Who to believe? Very confusing. Klutzo
  7. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

The test for standing, should also be taken again in 10 minutes - Now this is really convincing!

I have also read that having the patient wear a Holter Monitor for 24-hours and self-recording BPs is not an inappropriate approach. This allows for a practical overview of a typical day for a patient with Adrenal insufficiency, as well as CFIDS & FMS.

Since this is along the same lines as your idea, I thought I would throw this in the hat as well.

Guidelines for Orthostatic Intolerance

In orthostatic hypotension (OH):
    blood pressure decreases
    heart rate remains about the same

In neurally mediated syncopy or hypotension (NMH):
    blood pressure drops
    heart rate falls

In orthostatic tachycardia (POTS):
    blood pressure does not change
    blood pressure may increase slightly
    blood pressure may decrease slightly
    heart rate increases

CFIDS/FMS patients with NMH or POTS often have a delayed form of orthostatic intolerance. Blood pressure and heart rate are measured every few (10) minutes, alternating arms, while patients lie quietly for 30 minutes and again as they stand quiet and motionless for 60 minutes, or until severe symptoms develop.

Blood pressure and heart rate changes in NMH and POTS are accompanied by orthostatic symptoms such as lightheadedness, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, tremors, breathing or swallowing difficulties, headache, visual disturbances, profuse sweating and pallor. Many patients also develop swollen, bluish legs—evidence of blood pooling in the lower part of the body. Intravenous saline can help reduce symptoms, especially following acute exacerbations.

The first line of treatment should be non-medical interventions, such as increased water and salt consumption (up to 10-15 g sodium daily), tilting the head of the patient’s bed up a few degrees and wearing compression garments such as support hose, girdles or abdominal binders.

Just my Two Cents,

Lane
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've never seen those definitional breakdowns before. I guess I have POTS, since my BP goes down slightly, and my heart pounds, sometimes so hard I can't hear during the first half of the beat. It makes for some very strange sensations, like the time I insisted to my husband that the air condtioner was turning off and on repeatedly. He looked at me like I was totally bonkers. Then I realized it was only happening because I had just stood up, and I couldn't hear anything during the "lub" half of the "lub-dub" of each heart beat.
    You've got to hand it to this DD' it could hardly be more bizarre if it tried!
    Klutzo