Madwolf - RE: Provigil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen55, Nov 16, 2002.

1. karen55

karen55 New Member

Hi there,
    I took 1/2 a tablet of the Provigil this morning. 6 hours later, I still feel wide awake and alert. I took my rx to the drugstore, and they wouldn't fill it, they said my ins. co. requires "prior approval", so there's a chance I won't be able to get it. My Dr. had given me some samples that would cover 12 days, but if I only take half the dosage, it would cover 24 days. From the way I feel today, I can't imagine needing more than 1/2 a tablet.

I also did a little checking on line about the drug. It did state that you may not be able to take it if you have MPV, or, specifically, "other symptoms of mitral valve prolapse due to central nervous system stimulant use;", which I don't have.

So far, so good. I also took one of 10/500 Lortab and 1 Soma this morning. I haven't had to take anything more. I'm actually feeling good this afternoon, the best day I've had in a while. (Ouch - should have kept my big mouth shut, past history is following any good days, there's a really bad one to come.)

Karen
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

Hi there,
    I took 1/2 a tablet of the Provigil this morning. 6 hours later, I still feel wide awake and alert. I took my rx to the drugstore, and they wouldn't fill it, they said my ins. co. requires "prior approval", so there's a chance I won't be able to get it. My Dr. had given me some samples that would cover 12 days, but if I only take half the dosage, it would cover 24 days. From the way I feel today, I can't imagine needing more than 1/2 a tablet.

I also did a little checking on line about the drug. It did state that you may not be able to take it if you have MPV, or, specifically, "other symptoms of mitral valve prolapse due to central nervous system stimulant use;", which I don't have.

So far, so good. I also took one of 10/500 Lortab and 1 Soma this morning. I haven't had to take anything more. I'm actually feeling good this afternoon, the best day I've had in a while. (Ouch - should have kept my big mouth shut, past history is following any good days, there's a really bad one to come.)

Karen
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I am having the same problem with my insurance company. I got a letter saying they denied it because they only approve it for narcolepsy and the fatigue of MS. There's an article on this site about how the fatigue in CFS is worse than that of MS, but it's not a clinical study, so I don't think they would take much stock in that.

At last check my doc was sending more info to them about how it is being used successfully to treat CFS. Good luck with the approval. I'll let you know if I get mine approved and what the magic words were to get it if it is.

Barbara
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

I'm a September baby too.

I'm not really at all familiar with provigil, I just started reading about it last night after seeing the Dr. It never occurred to me that my ins. co. would have a problem with it.
  5. epicurean

epicurean New Member

hope your ins. comes through and pays for your provigil.My ins. pays for mine,my Dr. had many articles about it helping Ms and FM pts.
    Good-luck,I don't know how I would function without it!!
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

No apologies necessary. I am periodically mad at my insurance company or some medical providers who do not understand the phrase, "That is being paid for by Worker's Comp. the phone number and person you whould speak with are _______. I keep getting the bills every month. The incident happened in May. And I'm the one with cognitive problems????

I have considered paying for the Provigil myself, however I first want to try all the options with the insurance company. I have had problems with other stimulants such as Adderall and Dextra-stat. The Adderall gave me more energy, but I was unable to sleep in the afternoons as I usually do, and I really was tired before nighttime. The other just didn't seem to make much difference at all.

So, before I spend $86 on it I would like to know that I can actually tolerate it first. I may ask my doc for samples to check it out.

I can't complain about my insurance company too much. I have now maxed out for the year on prescription coverage which means they will pay for all covered prescriptions through the end of the year. :)

Barbara
  7. karen55

karen55 New Member

No apologies necessary. I get so fed up with insurance companies, doctors, hospitals, labs, pharmaceutical companies...you name it....seems like there's always got to be some red tape somewhere. Geez, I pay enough each payday for the darn insurance, I sort of expect it to cover my meds....how unreasonable of me! LOL