Madwolf you were right about KAVA-please help??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, May 21, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I hate it when everyone is always right on the board. Last night my legs twitched all night long after taking KAVA. Can you recommend something else to help for sleep?? My doctor won't give me Ambien or Klonoplin and I already take ZMA (which does help) but I need something more-I can't get comfortable from the pain-no matter what I do. Also I have tried Benedryl but makes my back hurt and dry cough.
    Any advice that you could give me, I would greatly appreciate.
    Vicky
  2. layinglow

layinglow New Member

You might also try Valerian Root, and Passion Flower.
    LL
  3. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I will give these products a try!! Anyone need a new bottle of KAVA to try?? I think we should have a store for samples. I know I have a cabinet full medicines that I couldn't take but might work for someone else.
  4. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

There's a product made by Enzymatic Therapy, called Revitalizing Sleep Therapy. It was designed with the help of Dr. Teitelbaum. It has Valerian, Passionflower, Hops, Wild Lettuce and maybe a couple other things in it (no Kava). I haven't bought any yet, have to wait til payday, but I'm going to give it a try. You can find it at just about any online vitamin site, or locally at a health food store.
  5. judywhit

judywhit New Member

lack of sleep has always been my main complaint too. I have triend every herbal supp under the sun to know avail. even Madwolfs wild lettuce tea which made me very drowsy but then my retarted body would jolt me out of sleep. The think that worked for me was elavil. very old drug which succesfully treats insomnia. I had to stop 5 days ago due to urinary problems. I am sooooo incredably sad because I am back at square one. My doc will not give klonopin either. Ambein he will give but at $38.00 for 15 pills this is not practical. I am so bummed today. My spelling suffers from lack of sleep. I drive school bus and ran smack dab into a co-workers truck with my car. My boss was in parking lot and told me to take the day off. This is what lack of sleep will do to you!
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

I use valerian root too and sometimes lemon balm.

They don't work as quite as well as kava kava but they shouldn't cause those awful side effects.

Sorry you can't get sleep meds. I had that problem for years. Then saw a different GP and we went through a period of trial and error. She agreed to ambien because trazedone diddn't do the job and made my brain problems even worse.

Sleep's still not as I'd like it but a whole lot better than before.

Finally found out the difference between severe chronic sleep deprivation and the fatigue of CFS.

Cheers

Tansy
  7. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I assumed since you said Kava..you are going the herb route. My husband was just diagnosed with fibro a few weeks ago and the supplement he takes at night has valerian, hops, and passion flower in it, and is working, so thats why I mentioned it, and not meds.

Herbal just wouldn't work for me, and then I tried antidepressants like elavil--no go, didn't even make me drowsy, even once we got past the low doseages. I tried flexeril a muscle relaxer, that some have had luck with didn't work. The only thing that we found that worked for me, to get rid of the Restless Leg Syndrome, Racing Brain, and 15 -20 wake ups a nite was klonopin.

Best wishes, ll