Magazine article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneG, Dec 13, 2002.

1. JaneG

JaneG New Member

Today when I was dragging myself thru the grocery store(buying baking supplies in case I get the urge to make Christmas cookies) I bought a copy of Woman's World magazine for recipes and when I started reading it, found a short article on Fibro.

Article quotes a Dr. Don L. Goldenberg, rheumatologists, and author of a book entitled "Fibromyalgia" Article says that a study from Georgetown University Medical Center has discovered that fibro is a nervous disorder- sufferer's brains respond more strongly to pain signals and also appear to have abnormally low levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which can sap energy and increase pain sensitivity. Recommends the right meds - Vioxx and amitriptyline.

Ok - these are the two meds that I'm on right now and I don't think they do squat for me! But, they were also prescribed by my rheumo and I am in the process of convincing him that I need something different. He won't change any meds til he gets the cervical spine x-rays back and our hospital here (his office is 40 miles away) is slower than molasses.

Just wondered if anyone out there had read the book authored by the dr. in the article? And, any others experience with those 2 meds?

Appreciate your input as I begin to try and get a good handle on this DD!!! Thanks JaneG
  2. JaneG

JaneG New Member

Today when I was dragging myself thru the grocery store(buying baking supplies in case I get the urge to make Christmas cookies) I bought a copy of Woman's World magazine for recipes and when I started reading it, found a short article on Fibro.

Article quotes a Dr. Don L. Goldenberg, rheumatologists, and author of a book entitled "Fibromyalgia" Article says that a study from Georgetown University Medical Center has discovered that fibro is a nervous disorder- sufferer's brains respond more strongly to pain signals and also appear to have abnormally low levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which can sap energy and increase pain sensitivity. Recommends the right meds - Vioxx and amitriptyline.

Ok - these are the two meds that I'm on right now and I don't think they do squat for me! But, they were also prescribed by my rheumo and I am in the process of convincing him that I need something different. He won't change any meds til he gets the cervical spine x-rays back and our hospital here (his office is 40 miles away) is slower than molasses.

Just wondered if anyone out there had read the book authored by the dr. in the article? And, any others experience with those 2 meds?

Appreciate your input as I begin to try and get a good handle on this DD!!! Thanks JaneG
  3. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

Hi Jane !
    That sounds like old news to me, so I don't think I'd buy his book. Amitriptyline is a drug MD's give you when they don't have a clue about FMS, IMO. I tried it, did nuttin for me except make my BP so low I'd almost faint getting out of a chair. Did you realize that vioxx can cause sudden death ? There's alot of lawsuits going on right now due to ppl suddenly dropping dead from heart failure on vioxx. Advil would work just as well if anti-inflammatories help you at all. There is no inflammation with FMS but some ppl get pain relief from them. There is no medication that helps me with pain management and the side effects aren't worth it.
  4. dlizard

dlizard New Member

stupid uninformed doctor...... NONONONONONO that doesn't work.... how many people have to tell how many doctors how many times!!!!!!! Save your money and good luck!
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Vioxx seems to work very well for my sister who has CFS---but it works on arthritis in the neck (she broke her neck in a car wreck when we were teens). It's my understanding it works well on inflammatory conditions.
    It doesn't work on my fibro pain ,as well as over the counter meds for inflammation. As inflammation is not generally found with fibro.
    Amitriptyline, in low doses, does work for some to help with sleep. It did not help me, and increased restless leg syndrome. I have since switch to klonipin, and received very good results.
    Karen

6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Agree that Fibro, at least in my personal experience, is very much nervous system related. But agree with above posts, that elavil is old news, & are we EVER going to get doctors to stop recommending Vioxx for non-inflammatory illnesses??!!

Pam