Magnesium - Dosage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deepak, Jan 12, 2012.

1. deepak

deepak Member

I have just started taking magnesium glycinated, chelated, since a couple of days. I wanted to know what dose do most people take which helps in fibromyalgia ? I am currently taking 400 mg a day.

Also, I have started to take Nattokinase 4000 FU per day.

2. deepak

deepak Member

Thanks Leah :)

I already do seem to be feeling better with the magnesium and/or the natto !. Started both together so not sure which or both.

Thanks for your good wishes. Your so nice :)

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Deepak - my doctor says to take magnesium up to bowel tolerance - in other words, too much will give you loose bowels. I take magnesium glycinate, 800 mg. a day in divided doses and tolerate it fine. I've read it's okay to take a ration of calcium to magnesium of up to 1:1 (equal amounts of each).

I'm really glad to hear you are feeling better! We really to have to be our own advocates here, educating our selves and learning from each other.

Best wishes,

4. deepak

deepak Member

Dear Mary,

I have been taking 400. Yesterday I took 500 and it did give me loose bowels so will take it a bit slow.

Dry needling therapy for my mysofacial trigger points also is working well :).

5. sascha

sascha Member

it helps with ease of movement and pains i get. i'm really impressed with its seeming benefits.

i've read that applying the mag oil makes it more available to the system than taking it in pill/capsule form ??

anyway, i'm a believer now with the mag oil. sascha
  6. Picklington

Picklington New Member

Hi Deepak,

Might be worth taking calcium too, as magnesium on its own can draw the calcium out of your bones and lead to osteoporosis in the long term. Calcium also relaxes muscles and has a calming effect - all-round it's very similar to magnesium so it may benefit you too.

I take up to 300mg of each when I remember!
  7. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Is there one certian kind , or type of magnesium I should be taking? I am taking Magnesium Oxide. Is that a good one? It seems to help me and I don't nootice any thing bad about it.
    I try to take calcium but it binds me up anda makes my stomache ache and hard stools, So I don't take it as often as I should. I am taking Vit.D3 5000IU once a day along wiht teh Magnesium 500 mgs and a 2500mcg of B-12 along with my usual meds rx'ed from my doctor.

I don't know what kinds of supplements I should be taking to help with my fibro, osteo-arthritis { I have end stage oesteo- arthritis in my knees. and osteo-arthitis in my spine. I also have MPS, DDD, buldging discs and am falling apart at the ripe old age of 55. { for this month}

Thank you for listening to me.
    HUGS Rosemarie
  8. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I have worked myself up to about 800 mg of Magnesium per day. It has helped me so much! Just go slow adding a little more each week. Your body will tell you if it's too much.