Magnesium & Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Melanie_Ann, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Melanie_Ann

Melanie_Ann New Member

How much is too much? I take 500 mg at bedtime. I've noticed that if I take 1,000 the muscle pain and spasms are less the next day. I could have sworn I read someone was taking 2500 mg a day. How much is too much?

The doc. knows I take this. This is a 500 mg capsule from GNC.

Thank you :)

MelG
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If you take too much magnesium, you will get diarrhea. I take about 600 milligrams a day. Here is what I take;

Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium ) 2 capsules in the morning, two capsules before lunch.

ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and B-6), two capsules at night. This is the most amazing formula for sleep and pain. I sleep very deeply for 7-8 hours every night now, as opposed to waking up every hour on the hour like I did before taking ZMA.

Both these come from this board; Pro Health. ZMA is very special, its put out by the trade mark of SNAC. Don't bother to buy GNC's brand of it, it won't work! I tried it.

These products have help me so much, that I am at the least 80% better then I was two years ago.

I almost never get the spasms at all anymore, and if I do get a flare, it does not last but a few days instead of weeks.

I don't know of anyone taking 2500 milligrams of magnesium here. I think that would have you spending all your time in the bathroom!(smile).

Shalom, Shirl

PS. if you spread your intake of magnesium out through the day, its better absorbed, or so I read. Thats why I take mine three times a day, morning, noon and the ZMA at night.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2003]
  3. Melanie_Ann

Melanie_Ann New Member

We're talking concrete here. Magnesium doesn't do nada as far as running to the potty. It almost balances me out because the pain meds. constipate me so bad.

lmao :) :)

MelG
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If you do have a problem with constipation, then you need to try the 'Natural Calm' magnesium citrate. If I didn't tell you this before, it is sold at most better health food stores.

It is a powdered form, it does help the pain quickly, you mix it with hot water, it tastes like an Alka Selzer. If this don't keep you 'moving' nothing will!

I don't take any pain meds (make me sicker than I am!), so that could be why the magnesium will run me to the potty if I take too much.

Have a goodnight!

Shalom, Shirl
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

I just looked at my bottle of zma. It says that it is manufactured for the company whose name is on the bottle by the SNAC System inc. ZMA is a trademark name so I would think that any bottle with ZMA on it would have to be from SNAC. Shirl you said the GNC brand didn't work. I have never tried it but are you sure it was labled ZMA or was it perhaps that your first try didnt work for other reasons. I am now giving it a second chance and am sleeping about 5 to six hrs but have to take valerian to get to sleep. Is it the ZMA or the Valerian? Who knows. The amazing thing is my bp has gone down to the 120's over the 70's and I have quit taking my cozzar for two days now. I'm still watching it to see if it lasts or comes and goes like so many other things. Up until a couple of weeks ago was sleeping 8 - 10 hrs no wake ups and no meds to do so. Then it all changed on a dime. I think it has to do with the tides, stars, winds and sand patterns on the beach.
  6. Melanie_Ann

Melanie_Ann New Member

Where do I get Natural Calm? Here?

The GNC is 500 MG capsules Magnesium Oxide. Oh Oh, I thought I read the Oxide wasn't so good.

MelG
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

You are right about the Magnesium oxide. It is not as easily absorbed by our bodies and basically goes right through you. I use Magnesium Plus from this site. It is magnesium glycinate, as in the ProEnergy which Shirl and I also take. It is much more easliy absorbed.

Barbara
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

In reply to your other post, if the bottle does not say;'ZMA is a trademark of SNAC Systems, Inc. It is not the right product.

I did buy a brand from GNC, it was called; ZMA, but it was not SNAC's product. My husband and I both tried it, and it did not have that effect of helping with the sleep!

The longer you take ZMA, the better your sleep gets.

As for the Valerian, yes it is good for sleep also. Personally I an not one of the people that it helps, I go to sleep, but wake up with a severe headache on the top of my head! Sounds crazy,but I kept trying Valerian, and got the same results each time.

What helps me fall asleep is the Melatonin, I take that right before I go to bed. The ZMA helps with the deep sleep, and also the pain.

If it is the 'tides, stars, winds and sand patterns' then I have been in trouble there all my life! I have never had a decent nights sleep in my whole adult life untill I started with the ZMA!

I am glad your b/p has gone down, that is very important!

Shalom, Shirl
  9. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi all! wish i would have read this post before i went shopping today--i usually "mix" my own zma by the ingredients, went to GNC today and the salesperson highly recommended their brand--has ASPARTATE and said it worked well. i trust you all and your experiences much more than a salesperson, but the money has been spent! Oh well, extra mag. i guess. thanks for all of your posted advice--it is so helpful to hear from fellow fibro's! My main concern was being sure to avoid salicylates in anything--3 months into the guai and don't want to chance screwing that up and having to start over--is that how it works? would appreciate any guai advice out there--i have not been on boards for awhile, is it shirl that has had such good results? Thanks, and I wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR! Laurie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2003]
  10. ladybugs

ladybugs New Member

Shirl, Can u tell me where you get your ZMA and the other Magnesium product? Ty ladybug
  11. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi Shirl---

Thanks for all this information. I have been having serious problems with constipation which I attributed to the pain meds. but the Dr. wants me to have a colonoscopy anyway. Which I'm dreading but I guess I have no choice.
    I will check this out at my health food store.

Thanks again,
    Lin
  12. healing

healing New Member

modern day colonoscopies aren't bad at all. you will be pleasantly surprised -- and once it's over, you'll be glad to have done it.

in the meantime, the magnesium will resolve your constipation (but please start out on a low dose -- 120 mg is enough for me!) and perhaps your problem will resolve itself.
  13. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I get my ZMA right here at Pro Health, I was buying it from SNAC, but Pro Health has the SNAC brand which they carry for us (very nice of them!), it is also less expensive than the SNAC company.

For whoever asked, it is Mikie that is on Guai, not me. Just put Guai in the 'Search Messages' and you will get volumns of threads up to read!

Shalom, Shirl