Magnesium/How much is too much? Diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by ladydi, Oct 12, 2002.

1. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hey, hope Saturday is going good.

I noticed in a post about magnesium, that it gives you
    diarrhea.

Can anyone give me the max dose that won't cause me to have the runs?

When I first started taking Magnesium I felt so much
    relief in my muscles. Everything was groovy until about
    a week or two later, then I spent 17 days with the runs.

I finally narrowed it down to the Magnesium. I recon I
    did'nt want to give it up, so that's why it was the last
    thing I eleminated.

My doctor told me to take (3) 250mg tables per day. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to take them all at once, or
    spread them out durng the day. But, to say the least I did
    get good pain relief. And a good bowel cleansing! HA HA
    I have a vitamin and natural healing book that recomends
    the same amout. 750mg per day.

Thanks for any input you can send this way, because I'd
    really like to be able to take a healthy dose of Magnesium.

Warm Wishes for a great bunch of fibro-friends!!!!!!!!!

LadyDi
  2. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hey, hope Saturday is going good.

I noticed in a post about magnesium, that it gives you
    diarrhea.

Can anyone give me the max dose that won't cause me to have the runs?

When I first started taking Magnesium I felt so much
    relief in my muscles. Everything was groovy until about
    a week or two later, then I spent 17 days with the runs.

I finally narrowed it down to the Magnesium. I recon I
    did'nt want to give it up, so that's why it was the last
    thing I eleminated.

My doctor told me to take (3) 250mg tables per day. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to take them all at once, or
    spread them out durng the day. But, to say the least I did
    get good pain relief. And a good bowel cleansing! HA HA
    I have a vitamin and natural healing book that recomends
    the same amout. 750mg per day.

Thanks for any input you can send this way, because I'd
    really like to be able to take a healthy dose of Magnesium.

Warm Wishes for a great bunch of fibro-friends!!!!!!!!!

LadyDi
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Yes, I've got a lot of help from magnesium also. I'm not sure if this helps or not...I had read about the poss. of getting diarrhea before I started, so I took 1 tablet (250 mg) per day for several days, then slowly increased it. I had no diarrhea from this.

Since you've already been to the recomm. dose for 17 days, maybe try cutting back to 2 tablets (500 mg) for a couple days or several days. If the pills can be broken in 2, try taking a 1/2 pill then waiting an hour or so to take the other 1/2. Try eating foods like bananas to bind you up. All of this, of course, is just my humble opinion,,,hope you get rid of those nasty runs soon!

Take care, Michele
  4. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

My endocrinologist but me on time release mag. supplement -
    gives me diarrhea too, but my pain meds are constipating so its not so bad!
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

I can take very little (200 mg) only once in awhile because I spend the days after in the "loo". I have IBS and it is just not worth the price I have to pay. I think this is another example of how different we all are.

The worst is magnesium citrate. If you have a bowel problem stay away from that compound!

Pepper
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

If Pepper has a problem with Mg Citrate, it is probably because she absorbed so much more of it. The cheaper kinds are not very well absorbed so you actually get a much lower dose than what you think you took, which may cause less diarreha. But for most people, Mg Oxide will cause the most problems by far, and Citrate will cause the least. It is less irritating and much better absorbed, so you actually get something for your money. I have severe IBS and take Mg Citrate with no problem. When I used to take Oxide, I had to take 750 mgs. to get less symptom relief than I am now getting with only 170 mgs. of Citrate. I take it at bedtime, as Mg is absorbed best at night.
    Klutzo
  7. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

The gastroenterologist who diagnosed me with IBS many years ago also diagnosed my GERD. He cautioned me against taking antacids that include magnesium or aluminum because he said they can cause diarrhea, which I certainly didn't need. (In addition to taking Protonix and Zantac 75 for my acide reflux, I also take Tums when the heartburn gets bad. Tums is just calcium carbonate and doesn't cause me any bowel problems.) I'm glad somebody mentioned the diarrhea problem here, because after what I've read about magnesium as a good supplement for FM pain, I was hoping that maybe I was remembering wrong. But now I'm sure about my gastro's warning. And the amount of magnesium in an antacid is probably much lower than in a magnesium supplement.

Has anybody else had diarrhea problems just from the magnesium in an antacid?

--Laura
  8. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi LadyDi,

ready for one more opinion? MY doc prescribed magnesium glycinate, supposed to be absorbed even more readily than even the citrate form. It is an amino acid chelate which is SUPPOSED to cause less symptoms than other forms. Doc said, if I get diarrhea to simply back off one pill at a time until the runs stop, then maintain at that dose. My problem was I got the runs with just one pill, so didn't work for me. But, daughter takes it with no problems at all.

hope this helps,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You should take half as much magnesium as the calcium you take. So if you take 500 IU's of Calicum, you should take 250 mg of magnesium. Your body will adapt to the magnesium and the diahrrea will soon stop.

Marilyn :)
  10. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I was actually prescribed Chelated Magnesium for constipation. These particular capsules came in 100mg strength. What the doctor told me to do was start with one capsule per day, and then raise my dose by one capsule every day until I got the runs, and then to back off. And not to take them all at once, but space them throughout the day. So if I were taking 10 capsules that day, I put them all in a dish in the morning, and every time I walked by the dish, I took a capsule, otherwise I would lose count. I initially needed 1600 mg per day to "cure" my constipation, but my condition has improved to the point that I only now take 800 mg per day. Hope this helps.

Hippo
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  11. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Dearest, MicheleF,Blondieangel,Pepper,Klutzo,Cooper,
    Marilyn,hippo

Thanks, and more thanks, to each of you for taking
    the time to respond to my question.

Hope you have a pain/stress free day.

Warm Fibro-Hugs
    LadyDi

p.s. Please add to this thread if anyone else has any