magnesium,i think I bought the wrong kind

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, May 29, 2011.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I bought mag oxide 400mg a big bottle and opened it before noticing it was the wrong kind.would it be alright to start on this and can I take it with other medications and other supplements?I was hopeing it would help with leg pain, sleep problems and possibly with constpation due to morhine use.I just recently started taking 2-3000 vit D3 for a defiency. Dont know how much mag or what kind I should really take.thanks for any help.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't think the mag oxide will hurt you. I take magnesium with all sorts of other supplements and have never had a bad interaction.

I do think magnesium oxide may be more likely to give you diarrhea than other kinds, although someone posted awhile ago that it really helped them. So I say give it a try. My doctor says magnesium is good to take up to bowel tolerance.

I was taking magnesium citrate as I had read taht the was the best absorbed form, and then read taht Richvank said taht magnesium glycinate was teh best to take. So I switched to magnesium glycinate several weeks ago and started sleeping better and it does not give me loose stools.

Anyways, the mag oxide should not hurt you, may help, and you might try the magnesium glycinate the next time you buy it.

3. dmholmes

dmholmes New Member

Depends on your diet of course, in the range of 200 to 600 milligrams a day would be good. Bowel tolerance will be lower with oxide, but I'd finish the bottle you have.

Next time pick up one of these or similar:
    - malate (
    - glycinate (
    - citrate (

Take care,
  4. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

glycinate is the better choice - health food stores carry.