Magnesium injections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by desertlily, Jan 22, 2003.

1. desertlily

desertlily New Member

I have CFS and FM and my doc wants me to start magnesium injections. My husband's an RN so he's going to be giving them to me - he's looking forward to that! :) Anyway, has anyone else tried them and do they help? I've already tried B-12 injections with little change, so I'm not real excited about more needles in my butt --I'm willing to try almost anything though, so I'm just interested in feedback from you all. Thanks!
  2. pamj

pamj New Member

yes, I get weekly IV treatments with magnesium in it. I definitely noticed the difference right after the first one. Be careful starting out, start with a small dose. On the way home from my first IV, I got extremely drowsy, like I was going under anesthesia. When my husband helped me in the house, we called my nurse & told her I felt like I was passing out, so she told me to eat & drink something and then take a nap.

After that, I was better after each treatment. It definitely makes most people a bit drowsy, it helps reduce pain, and it took away my leg twitches at night. I also starting sleeping better, and I sleep better at night after a treatment.

good luck!

Pam :)
  3. healing

healing New Member

I too have had IVs, and they don't make me drowsy at all; in fact, they make me feel GREAT -- full of energy! My doc prescribes them about every 6 months for 6 weekly IVs.

I've also tried one injection and I have to tell you it was a painful experience. Please tell your husband that it has to be injected very, very slowly. Also, if you are sensitive to sulfa drugs, you may react to the injectible form of magnesium (magnesium sulfate) as opposed to the IV type (magnesium something-else).
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have not taken the shots, but do take a lot of magnesium orally, also take baths in Epson Salts (magnesium), and its really been wonderful for the pain, and also for anxiety attacks too.

I also take ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and B-6) for sleep, I sleep 7-8 hours soundly now, as opposed to being up all night long!

Good luck with the shots and let us know how you are doing with them.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. lou2

lou2 New Member

I recieve treatment at a fibromyalgia clinic in London. I was put down for a series of Myers Cocktails which contain magnesium, folic acid and b12. The first one i had was an IV drip. I have to admit found it quite traumatic, because when magnesium goes into your blood it causes this internal burning feeling which i hated. Also made me feel very drowsy and weak after............

so i switched to the butt injections which i have now had two of, and they are sooo much better. Yes it is a little painful and ou get a bruise on your ass, but in my eyes no where near as horrible as the drip. Also after the injection i feel fine enough to go out shopping so it must be a good thing. Yes it has to be done slowly.

My doctor tells me that they really are a build up process and you dont really start feeling a lot better until after about 4 weeks worth.

good luck x
  6. desertlily

desertlily New Member

Thanks everybody for all your responses, they were encouraging.

Well, my husband gave me the first shot last night before bed and I can tell you I was so-o-o-o nervous! The B complex shots I'd had before had hurt like heck, so I was expecting a lot worse with the magnesium. But to my delight, it didn't hurt at all! The doctor had us mix it with 1% lidocaine and I think that made a huge difference. And I don't know if it was the magnesium or not, but I slept like a baby, something I hadn't done in awhile and woke up feeling good, also something I hadn't done in awhile. As the morning progressed the effect seemed to wane, but I am very encouraged! So we'll see how this goes, but thanks so much for your encouragement, it is a blessing to me to have others to share the ups and downs with this illness.

7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...to see that this is helping so many of you. I take oral Mg, but I know someone who took part in a study of injectible Mg in Philadelphia. She told me the shots did nothing for her. My Rheumy told me Mg shots are incredibly painful when I asked him about it, so I am glad you are not having that problem. Best of luck with it and please keep us all posted on how it affects you.
    Klutzo