Magnesium Sulphate Injections?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Jul 14, 2008.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

My husband used to give me these painful shots twice a week. It takes 4 min. to give the injection very very slowly. My doctor wants me to start doing this again (ugh!) and I sure wish I had paid attention to a news item on TV that said there was something they can now put in with the MgSu to make the injections less painful. Has anyone heard of this?

2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I used to take lidocaine in my glutathione injections.

Can you try magnesium sulfate cream? It is very effective especially if you put some on after hot shower when your pores are open.

Beats injections.

3. pepper

pepper New Member

My CFIDS doc thought that it was lidocaine reported in that item but it was definitely Taurine. Thanks so much for this info. I will check this out.

I will check out Magnesium Sulphate cream too.

Thank you both for taking the time to share.
  4. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

did you read the posts about epsom salt baths and creams?

Maybe you won't have to get the shots if the bath or cream works for you.
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

I wonder how effective the cream is. I tried it in the past on painful areas and it did help short term so perhaps it is worth another try.

Those of us with CFIDS too are very short on Magnesium and I would have to do this consistently. My CFS doctor doesn't know of any cream that is standardized so he can tell me how much to use every day.

If you or anyone else knows, I would appreciate it.

As for Epsom Salts baths, I have a problem with being miserably HOT all the time and cannot sit in a very warm bath for the recommended length of time. If I could get in and out in 10 min., that would be fine. But I understand we are supposed to sit there for 20+ min. Do you know?

Epsom Salts also revs up my system unlike others here who take the baths before bed. I can't sleep for hours afterwards. Strange, eh?

Thanks for your input. I would prefer the baths or cream to those miserable injections if I knew how much to use.

6. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

When I used MgS04 injections a few years ago; I was instructed by my Dr. to use 2cc's of Magnesium Sulfate with 1 cc of 1% Xylocaine. (Drew up both in the same syringe.)

I gave myself these injections in my butt. The problem I had over time was the build-up of scar tissue, which made injecting very difficult! I even alternated between buns...

I recall the injections burning slightly, but they were not too bad. I guess the Xylocaine did help!

BTW, I can't imagine giving an injection over 4 minutes! Yikes! I'm not sure that it would be helping you by giving it that way.

Good luck. Hope the shots are helpful to you.

7. pepper

pepper New Member

I am going to see the pharmacist today about this and I will give her these suggestions.

The reason the shots were given over 4 min. was to reduce the pain. It was like a wasp sting - little sting, then a break, little sting, then a break until the syringe was empty.

I am not looking forward to this but if it is painful I am going to go for the cream and the Epsom Salts baths instead if I can get more info.

Thank you!
  8. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I bumped up the recipes I found for making the cream.

Or you can buy Kirkmans magnesium sulphate cream - $18 for 4 ounces.

I am surprised your doctor could not give you a recipe or tell you how much you would be getting in a cc or a tsp.

It is just simple math - not that I could do it without thinking about it but it is just like cooking.

Some people just use water so if you used x amount of magnesium sulphate in 1000 cc's of water then you know how much mag. sul. you would be getting in 1 cc of water.

RE: why you are wide awake - maybe the sulphates are detoxing you so you are awake. Detoxing does that to me.

I would try the bath in whatever way you can do it. Here are some tips - take some boiling water, say 3 cups, and dissolve 1 cup of epsom salts. Fill your bath to the temperature you can use it without crashing afterward. Add the dissolved salts. If you can stay there 20 min fine, if not then stay as long as you can. Since you have already dissolved the salts, the bath doesn't have to be super hot.

Make sense?
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

This really helps.

Now I will go check out the recipe. My dr. didn't know anything about the cream. I had a compounding pharmacist make it up for me the last time I tried it and it was $19 for a small tube but it must be cheaper to do it myself.

Thank you for taking your time to help me with this!
  10. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

rev me up too sometimes. I try to take the bath early evening 4-6pm. If I take it later I use the nighttime bubble bath for babies; that works good for me. You can get the generic brand at Walmart. I use the epsom salt and the nightime bath stuff and the nighttime lotion. It smells good too. Oh! If you can't tolerate hot baths I think lukewarm or cool baths work too. It's something about being in the water that makes the difference. I've heard people say that water aerobics helps their pain tremendously. I don't have time or money for that so I just rub-a-dub in the tub....