magnesium to help with headaches (and pain)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sallys, May 26, 2006.

1. sallys

sallys New Member

As suggested I'm going to start taking Magnesium - went shopping, but there are so many different ones.

Came away with this one
    Magnesium (as Oxide) 197mg
    Magnesium ( as Orotate) 8mg
    Mg (as Amino Acid Chelate) 75mg
    Mg (as Phosphate) 99.7mg
    Total Magnesium 300mg

Bottle says take 1 daily

Any comments from those who have benefitted from Magnesium particulaly for headaches and migraines.

thanks sally
  2. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Hi Sally,

Thank you for posting this. I currently take those for sleep and to help with the pain.

Again thank you!
  3. sallys

sallys New Member

how long have u been taking it and how much does it help?
    sally
  4. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

I'm glad you purchased some magnesium, however I see that your total is 300mg. RDA levels are 400mg per day, but the RDA levels are not enough to promote long term health.

This is what I take:

4 tablets daily...

Calcium (as citrate and Carbonate) 800mg
    Magnesium (as Citrate, Amino Acid Chelate and Oxide) 400mg
    Vitamin K (as Phylloquinone)60mg
    Vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol) 400iu
    Boron (as Citrate) 1.32mg
    Silicon (as amino acid complex) 9mg

No more migraines or pain!! ...yay!

My point is, you may need to step it up a bit.

Hope this helps,
    usanagirl

5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Is a great suppliment for pain, although I also take tramadol and neurontin too. I actually take rolaids, of all things! They contain calcium and magnesium and I stumbled across them by accident when I had heartburn really bad and the hospital pharmacy only carried rolaids.

I took 6 total that day, and the next day I actually work up pain-free and that hasn't happened in almost 3 years! I don't think it would be good to take 6 everyday, as the calcium would be too much, but I take 2 a day and then take ZMA at night which I order from this site. ZMA has zinc magnesium and B-6 and makes you sleepy if you have trouble falling asleep like I do.

I take about 500 mg a day, with the two sources. Magnesium is definately worth taking.

Take care, Sally

Hey, from one Sally to another![This Message was Edited on 05/27/2006]
  6. jake123

jake123 New Member

When I went to the doctor the last time, we talked about meds the choices were, go to pain clinic, take more Topamax, take blood pressure medicine or try the Migravent. I chose the Migravent which contains feverfew, butterbur and magnesium. It is just herbs and vitamins (Vit. B) and I think it is working. I'm not going to stop the other meds but I am going to keep taking the Migravent.
  7. sallys

sallys New Member

I'm new her and don't use message boards much, but i'm glad i've posted here, feeling relief that there are people who understand what i experience.

I read your post to the other new sally giving much great advice
    Was surprised and relieved to see "sore throat" - mine is always sore - I also have a primary immune deficiency and so it is difficult for me to work out which is casusing which symptom.

My fatigue is extreme, but i thought the Intragram i receive for the immune disease would help, but its been a year on that treatment and it helps keep my infections under control , but not my fatigue or pain and these horrid headaches.

Many years ago a GP said I have fibro, but i didn't explore it further, but now is the time as i need help with my physical life which is slipping away from me.

thank you all who replied - its all so helpful.
    sally
  8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

About two and a half weeks ago I started waking up with migraine headaches. I use 500mg magnesium oxide. I can't swear to it but, I think it helps keep the headaches away.