Mainstream Dentistry,,Unbelievable,,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Jun 6, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

My son (18) had a dental appt. yesterday, for cleaning and check up. Mind you, he has NO cavities, NO fillings, PERFECTLY straight, white, beautiful teeth, never needed braces. His top left wisdom tooth came through, perfectly straight, no pain, nothing. Dentist gives him a "Referral" to the Oral Surgeon downstairs. He says there's NO REASON TO KEEP THEM ! You don't need them. WHAT?!?!?! My son said, you have that backwards, "You would have to give me a reason to have it removed".

He used to have a fit that I wouldn't let him do Flouride treatments or sealants. I can see suggesting or educating, but pressuring, scare tactics are BS. He expects us to follow like sheep.

Do they remove perfectly good body parts in other countries? Or just ours? When my sister had her hysterectomy, they removed her appendix as long as they were in there.

My daughter (soon to be 23) had braces and has gorgeous teeth/smile. All 4 wisdom teeth came through while she still had braces on. All these years, everytime she would go to the dentist, he would tell her to get them removed! She finally had to YELL at him, that she was an adult and SHE would decide if they needed to come out. He finally stopped harrassing her about it. Looks like son will have to do the same.
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I somewhat see your point. My favourite about dentistry is hwo they put mercury in your mouth and tell you its perfectly safe. Even when the fillings repeatedly break off and you swallow them. Even though the fillings leach everytime you eat. Even though in large fillings they don't wear out, but will crack your tooth, because they don't wear like your tooth naturally does, they expand over time. Nope still perfectly safe they tell me. actually, they yell it and get really mad if I give them an intelligent counter-argument, or just dare to not agree.

Even though I lost a molar to mercury amalgam, and my bite is off now, so I bite my tongue real easy, and can barely chew on the missing tooth side. Nope, totally safe.

Even though they wear masks to protect them from mercury vapour and have special waste disposal for it, w/ the equivelant guidelines for toxic waste (which it is). An d they still continue to browbeat us to putting it in our mouths.

About the wisdom teeth though, its pretty rare that someone can get all four in straight and not have problems down the road. And the problems can be hard to nail to the teeth. I had terrible headaches and eyestrain for over a year. Went several optomotrists, until someone finally suggested that wisdom teeth can cause problems. Didn't seem liek the pain came from my jaw at all, but sure enough, got them out and all that bad pain went away. Then fibro came after, but that's another rant.

Jeanne
  3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Actually, doesn't sound like these dentists explained the reasons behind having the wisdom teeth pulled.

The 3rd molar is the weakest teeth that we have and they have a tendency to more decay than other teeth. Many times if we let the wisdom teeth come in AFTER the braces are off it can crowd the teeth again.

Sometimes our wisdom teeth grow in sideways pushing against our 2nd molar, I have seen this on x-rays, so they have to come out.

A lot of people do not have a big enough jaw to allow much room for them, hence crowding our other teeth.

It is a lot eaiser to remove wisdom teeth when they are impacted than when they are completely in. I have seen the roots curve and getting them out then is much more tramatic.

It's great to hear that your kids did not have any problems with their wisdom teeth, but believe me, many do!

Laura
  4. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

My husband is a dentist and the fact that he wears a mask to protect him from mercury vapor is just plain silly.

Don't use mercury for your mouth, that is your choice, but maybe it is not a good idea to make blanket statements that could cover Paul Bunyan's bed!

I love reading your posts, Jeanne, you are a good writer...hugs

Jana
  5. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Just like every other profession there are good dentists and bad. I worked for a dental manufacturer for many years and have seen it all. i want to say that two of the main reasons for fewer cavities are floridated water and sealants. If your children drink bottled water they need flouride. it is true that during WWII over 50% of the population Had full dentures by age 40. Why? No floride lynn
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

Both my kids were raised on well water. We switched to bottled water about 5 or 6 years ago. They have never had sealants and no flouride treatments. My son has ALWAYS been lactose intollerant AND also allergic to milk, AND he is a VEGAN, so he has NEVER had much dairy products. No cavities, or broken bones, at age 18. Daughter is soon 23, has had 1 cavity. At 48 I have NEVER had a cavity, and Dentist knows our history well, and really should not be recommending removal without a good reason.

I have a VERY SMALL jaw, and had mine growing out the sides and wearing holes in my cheeks, so of course they had to come out. But my kids have nice big jaw.

I have never liked this dentist, and if I actually ever needed dentistry, I would probably change dentists, but all I (and kids) ever need is the hygenist for a cleaning. Oh, and as a kid, my, (then) dentist, didn't believe childrens' teeth should be cleaned professionally. I was married before I had my first cleaning. And remember, 0 cavities. My sister was about 40 when she had her first and only cavity. So for me, I would say my hard teeth are genetic. (Or it's all the pesticides)

My whole body is CRAP, but my teeth are healthy. When I leave the dentist, who I have an appointment with tomorrow, he tells me to "Go eat rocks".
  7. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Your kids have healthy teeth because you do, it is hereditary. Anpother person can do exactly what you are doing but if they don't have the good teeth genes they are out of luck. I guess I was trying to point out thast not all dentistry is bad just because there is a bad apple here and there. So happy you don't have dental problems. One less thing to worry about and no dental expenses! lynn
  8. mafusula

mafusula New Member

So I had them all taken out under GA and new dentures put in straight away. ait's a known fact that mercury in your body is no good for FM sufferers. I'm only just gettng used to my new teeth andafter 6 months I can't say I feel any better, but maybe this could be due to the stresses in my life at present,
  9. elliespad

elliespad Member

I agree. I said I DO NOT give flouride or treatments, never have. Flouride is a by-product of industrial waste. I use non-flouride toothpastes.