Major Case of the Blahs: What would you do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elastigirl, Feb 27, 2006.

1. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I've had a major case of the blahs for a month now. I have barely done any of the things that usually interest me. I have not felt giddy or happy in a long time.

I'm not quite depressed, either. I think inside me resides an undefeatable hope that a miracle will come along to change my life, but of course that hasn't happened. But I still have hope. I'm still cheered by something as simple as a sunny day.

But I'm not happy. I know I'm not blue enough to see a therapist; she sent me on my way when I was at this stage last time, and I got happier on my own. But I forgot what I did to get happy.

I haven't dated in well over a year. I miss that. A pool party is coming up for my son, and all I can think about is how much I resemble a whale right now. My mom is visiting today, and I just can't get excited -- even though we've planned a lot of 'fun' things to do.

What is going on? I haven't been this blah for this long in forever. I forgot what it was like. Just no interest in anything. Barely shop for groceries, just by what we're completely out of. Barely cook, am throwing frozen dinners or canned food together and calling it a meal.

The things that gave me joy - couponing, sale shopping, cooking, drives into town, visits to the library, visits with family -- just have no appeal now. Blaaaaaah!

I feel completely burned out. I know I've been under a lot of stress; now the pilot light to the furnace keeps mysteriously going out. Just another reminder how powerless I am to control anything in my life.

So how do you shake a bad case of the blahs?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2006]
  2. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I feel the same way. I'm sure that I am depressed...very depressed. I just haven't learned how to be sick although I am very sick. Everything is a battle. I've read wonderful post from others on the board that have learned to accept this DD. They speak of spending time doing the things they enjoy like playing with grandchildren or cooking or not having to answer to anyone at work. I can hardly do anything and my job was my life. It was my identity. I am so sensitive to everything around me like noise, lights, activity that I can hardly be around anyone and it's not because I don't want to be. I miss being around people. I'm sorry that I can't help you but I'm sure that someone else on the board will give you encouragement. I can only offer a prayer for all of us and a genuine wish that you and I will find joy again very soon.
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Waiting for a miracle is discouraging, since they seldom occur. Perhaps doing some things yourself to bring about changes in your life would make you feel better. It might help to reconnect briefly with the therapist to discuss what it was that you did to get yourself out of the doldrums the last time.

Do you do the morning shake? If not, you could give it a try. It is supposed to improve mood.
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you have had a stressful time lately...child sick, and the ice storm...car broke down....there is alot to get you down..then i don't know if the sun comes out very often there or not..but iknow the sun didn't comeout much in battle creek ,mi whee i am origannly from...

pray for a sunny day...maybe you can get out w/some friends and go do something...

maybe you should take some ad's maybe this time is different that last time....

well i hope you are doing well

jodie
  5. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I'll keep trying to get over the blahs (not quite the blues, I'm a little more down with the blues.) It has been a really rough month. I'm beginning to sound like a country song, LOL!

I'm half-seriously thinking about having a wake for my former life. I could bring pictures of my former self, burn them (keep copies at home though, I miss that body, LOL,) and do other rites of passage -- all the while having a fun party with friends and family. Hmmm... I'm going to think about this some more. Maybe a wake would help me let go of the past.

Seeing my mom yesterday cheered me a bit. I was able to talk to her about how I've just gotten to the point where >>> I don't care anymore. <<< I have gotten to the point where I realize I have almost no control over my life. On the one hand, this is completely terrible. On the other hand, aren't we always being told to hand over our lives to God? (Sorry to get religious here.) Maybe someone is forcing my hand, LOL.

This week, I am also going to try to force myself to do things that give me joy -- eBay, coupons (mostly organized again,) and even volunteering at my son's book fair tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. The thought of working the book fair makes me feel useful, and I can sit as much as I like.

Thank you for the suggestions. As far as the shake goes, I have been trying Revival Soy, and I do believe it's saved me from a full-blown depression. I've wanted to try Stormy's shake so badly, but I just don't think I have it in my to deal with a blender mess everyday :(. Isn't that awful?

I did see last night that Walmart has a vanilla soy shake with the same 20grams soy protein as Revival Soy -- for only $5 a canister. So that would save some money :).

It has been sunny, but oh-so-so cold.
  6. achy

achy New Member

I fall into black holes, as I call them, and it's hard to get out of them. But time passes and so do they...eventually.

I try to remind myself how blessed I am in other ways...and how much worse off other are right now. But, it's easy to do living in the Fla panhandle and the aftermath of 4 hurricanes....

How about a pamper me day?? Take a long bath...give yourself a pedicure & manicure. Stay in your jammies and wath a funny movie or read a funny book??

Sometimes just getting outside in the sun or going for a walk really helps.

Other times...just go to bed and pull the covers over your head!! lol lol lol

I hope you feel better....your not alone, and it's OK to feel that way...
    warm fuzzies
    achy
  7. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

Thank you for the tips :). I'm doing a little better now. Though I'm in a bit of pain, doing what I used to love is helping me get through these blahs.

Working the Book Fair yesterday was fun -- though exhausting. (I had to shovel 10" of snow out of the drive, plus scrape ice off the car; now I'm 'achy,' LOL.)

Got closer to my new friend B. She's invited me to church on Sunday. I haven't been to any church in over a year :(! So I think a pamper me day is in order -- to look my best for church. It's nice having a motivation.

I think I also need to take a 'board break.' As much as I love everyone here, I feel everyone's pain very deeply. I think I just need to take a breather to regroup. Everyone is wonderful and so supportive, but I need to get strong and positive so that I can return refreshed.

Wishing all is going well for you and for all the board members here :). Gentle hugs.
  8. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I feel your pain! I have felt like that for a few months now! Winter usually does that to me though as I think the lack of sunshine in my area leads to these blah feelings.

Know that it will pass! Don't worry about how you look, just go to that pool party and try to have fun! People usually don't give a hoot about what you look like. Everyone stuggles with something about their looks that they do not like! Just go and be you and have fun! Some of the most fun people I know are big!

Take care and chin up girl! Sally
  9. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

There are a couple of ways that you could try the Morning Shake without dealing with a blender mess every morning.

1) One afternoon a week, blend up enough apples, whatever other fruit you want, almonds and flax seed to last a week. Divide it into daily portions and freeze them. Each morning, stir the other ingredients into a thawed fruit/almond portion.

2) Get one of the those little ‘blender on a stick’ gizmos. ProHealth sells one. They call it a Hand Mixer (item #MX01). Each morning, use this to blend the fruit with some water (or other liquid). As soon as you are done, rinse the blender off with warm water and put it in the drainer. I do not even use soap on mine and I haven’t died yet. Then stir the molasses, whey powder, and cold-milled flax seed meal (ground flax seed) into the fruit. Not getting any molasses or powdery stuff on the mixer makes it easier to clean. You will probably have to eat the almonds whole. I doubt that this little blender could handle them.
  10. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Yu say you don't have control and that can be very stressful so maybe focus on the things you can control and try to let the things you can't slip off your shoulders. keeping busy helps me keep my mind off my worries. Even if it is only my mind that I'm keeping busy.

Finally when I am feeling down I try to do something to brighten someone eles day. Doing unexpested things for others makes me feel good. I love to bake and I can't eat it so I will take the baked goods to a friend who is having a bad day. OR give some flowers to my sons teachers. Or the trainer who helps me with my horse. I will put some hersheys kisses in her box. This brightens my day!

Also consider it's the weather. I sometimes feel blue when it has been cold and rainy for several days in a row. When the sun comes out instant mood lifter.

Good Luck and remember everyone goes through these periods every once and a while.