Major flare from weather

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Nov 24, 2008.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I've been in some pain for the past week because of a cortisone shot I got in my knee; the rheumatologist told me it would help immediately and my pain would be so much less severe, but all it's done is make the normal pain in my knee flare (and yes, I know that there's supposed to be an initial flare in pain with those shots, but not one that lasts a whole week).

Anyway, I got the most sleep I've gotten in a really long time last night (8 hours, my usual is around 5, though the night before I got less than 4), and when I woke up this morning, I felt so sick. I'm just hurting ALL over. My ankle hurt so bad, I could barely walk on it, as well as my knee. I couldn't figure out why I was in so much pain all of a sudden, until I looked out the window.

It's downpouring outside. I never really noticed that much of a change in my symptoms when the weather changes before, but I'm guessing it's because it's such a BIG change. It was below freezing yesterday, even colder last night, and today it's probably 50 or 60 because of the humidity. If it keeps doing this all winter I don't know what I'll do; I don't have anything for pain.

Whenever I went to doctors before, they just told me to take NSAIDs, which don't work (at least for me). The rheumatologist I just started seeing said that from what he's seen, NSAIDs don't work on FM at all and he's surprised that's all they had to offer. They did mention muscle relaxants though so I'm going to ask about them when I go in for my appointment in december.

What do you do when the barometric pressure changes get to you? It's NEVER affected me this much, so I'm not really sure what I can do. Would heating pads help, or just hurt? I live in a dorm room so it's not like I can take a bath or whatever, and I don't have any ice. My options are, unfortunately, severely limited.
  2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Dani78xo!

I'm sorry to hear you are being effected so badly by the barometric pressure. It gets to me just as much. My head usually hurts and my aches and pains get worse.

Flexeril is the muscle relaxer many of us use... I take 5 mg during the day if I need it. I use this for my face and jaw. (Pain medicine never helps my face and jaw.) I still work and my arms hurt terribly when I type... I use pain medicine and flexeril for that. The best part is I take 15 mg of Flexeril an hour before I go to bed. It helps me sleep SO much better.

It's good to hear you're still in school. Don't give up. Try to always remember that your flares will let up some and you'll have a pretty good day. That always helps me keep working. (I'm 28. I didn't finish college but I wish so badly that I did. Luckily, I found a good job without the degree though.)

I hope you feel better soon!

3. emmally

emmally New Member

when the weather changes. If the weather changes suddenly, like I wake up to rain or an unseansoably warm or cold day than my symptoms are significantly worse. I have never been able to figure this out. The symptoms that happen the worst are sinus pressure, heavy chest feeling, headache and fatigue. I can sympothize with you.....I try to breath in steam or use a hot rag on my face for the facial pain. As for the other symptoms, I usually have to ride them out.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2008]
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Im sorry you're so miserable. I JUST told my husband, a change in the weather must be coming - I am so achey this morning and my pain meds aren't doing a thing.

Anti-inflammatories will not help unless you have inflammation. Generally speaking FM doesn't include inflammation. (if you have other things going on, it might) I'm allergic to them anyway so now can't take any if I wanted to - but years ago they never did a thing for me.

I do take muscle relaxers. I take Soma. Flexeril doesn't help me, but some it definitely does. There are different options to try with that.

The heating pad is my new best friend. I sit on it a lot - the back of my thighs have been hurting terribly lately and the heat really does help me. Fortunately heating pads aren't very expensive. Mine has an automatic shut-off which is nice - if it gets too hot or after a certain amount of time I guess, it turns off.

At this point, you just need to make yourself comfortable. When the weather changes dramatically I take my meds ahead of the pain - I don't "chase" it, same with muscle relaxers. -
    every free moment you have, pamper yourself. Curl up, stay warm and cozy.

Would your rheumatologist consider calling in a muscle relaxer for you? I know many doctors are different, some won't call stuff in, some will - depending on when you were last seen etc. I don't know how far into Dec. your appt is, but if it were me, I'd make a call and see if you can't get some relief.

I hope you start to feel better soon!!