MAJOR PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Oct 15, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

LITERALLY!!! Some of the worst pain I have EVER felt is in the upper aspect of my right buttock and it's especially bad when I've been on my feet way too much like I have been at work for the last 4 days. Today I can hardly bear it and I have a hot rice pack under me when I lie down or sit. If I lie down, I can barely get up. This, my friends, is awful. I am accustomed to daily pain, but this is the worst I have and I have had this type of pain off and on for about 2 years now. My Ultram helps as does topical analgesic cream and a hot Epsom Salts bath, but the pain is severe until I stay off of my feet for several days....which I can't do 'cause I work full-time as a nurse. I am off today, but am in such pain that I can't rest comfortably.
    Anyone else have pain in this spot? It isn't flank pain as in kidney problems, I am sure. I know it is associated with overdoing it at work.

Love,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

LITERALLY!!! Some of the worst pain I have EVER felt is in the upper aspect of my right buttock and it's especially bad when I've been on my feet way too much like I have been at work for the last 4 days. Today I can hardly bear it and I have a hot rice pack under me when I lie down or sit. If I lie down, I can barely get up. This, my friends, is awful. I am accustomed to daily pain, but this is the worst I have and I have had this type of pain off and on for about 2 years now. My Ultram helps as does topical analgesic cream and a hot Epsom Salts bath, but the pain is severe until I stay off of my feet for several days....which I can't do 'cause I work full-time as a nurse. I am off today, but am in such pain that I can't rest comfortably.
    Anyone else have pain in this spot? It isn't flank pain as in kidney problems, I am sure. I know it is associated with overdoing it at work.

Love,
    Kady
  3. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Kady! Oh God, I thought no one was ever going to talk about this! My butt is always the most painful part of my body. Theplace where you said you get your pain? Mine is in both cheeks. lol. I complain about "OH my BUTT" constantly. People, my family that is, just look at me. I can't help it! It is after all the biggest muscle in your body, why wouldn't it be affected(or they) by this fibro?
    Have you ever tried to get a massuese to massage your ass? It can be difficult! They think you're a perv! I finally got my regular masseuse to do it once in a while. If I get desperate enough I ask my ex-boyfriend to do it. hehehe. We're still friends luckily. Thanks for bringing up the subject. I'm forever grateful
    Nancy
  4. Ness

Ness New Member

I have been having the same pain butt ( LOL) mine is on the left side...I haave had to sit on a heating pad at work fo the past week..and the pain meds just don't help much..

You are not alone.....my pain also goes down the side of my left leg and into my foot.

Peace and Rainbows
    Ness
  5. hope4

hope4 New Member

Just call us the "Butt Sisters". My right back side has been hurting for 1 year, none stop. Doctors told me it was bursitis. Message and heat is the only thing that would help. Also getting someone to hold my ankles and pull my legs gently, while I lay on my back. Physical therapist showed me this manuever. And of course staying off my feet.
    I'm on medical leave now, which allows me to get the proper rest I need. But I can't rest because I still have so much pain everyday. If I try to do any activity on my feet, I can't because of the pain in my hip.It literally stops you in your tracks. Now it is starting to happen on my left side. I really sympathize with you. I can imagine how hard it is for you to stay on your feet at work. I know you take care of others, but remember to take care of youself too.
    lol,
    hope
  6. dorothyanne

dorothyanne New Member

that you're still able to work with your pain, especially at such a strenuous job as nursing.

I have had pain in my derriere, basically non-stop since 1996. It was diagnosed as left side sciatica and I was operated on in July 1997. Failed back surgery; too little, too late. The nerve damage right down to my foot was already done.

I still have a lot of sciatic pain on both sides, so I don't know whether to call my butt pain, leg pain, etc. fibro or sciatica. I've been receiving chiropractic care for nearly 3 years and still have non-remitting pain. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack over this statement, but I feel that chiropractic care is an addiction/dependency.

I'm almost at my wits' end! Joellen talks about a book called "Trigger Point Guide Workbook" by Clair Davies which I'm going to buy and see if I can find any answers in it. I'm sure a lot of the painful spots are trigger points, rather than sciatica. Have you looked into trigger points?

I noticed that none of you mentioned your butt pain extending into your genitals. Does anyone else feel this pain? This is one that I don't talk about with just anyone!! LOL

Love and soft hugs, Dorothyanne
  7. tiredofpain

tiredofpain New Member

I manage a retail store where most of the work I do is physical. My pain started as an injury in my butt. work comp doctors would not put me off to heal and thus resulted in post traumatic fibro. of course I can't prove that. I have had this crap for 8 yrs and it don't get no better. If anything it gets worse. My butt is the worst of my pain. I go in my office and put my hands in my back pockets and rub my own butt!! I feel like nobody understands. Not even my family.
  8. Ruthles

Ruthles New Member

I can relate to this pain. I believe mine started according to my parents when I was 6 months old. My parents took me to the country when my grandmother died. It was in Jan. which is a very cold place that time of the year. They left me with some relatives. I was a colic baby and the people they left me with were inpatient sometimes. I believe they may have been some type of punishment. Being a baby I cannot remember. After they took me back to the city they said I would scream in pain every time they lifted my legs to change my diaper. I couldn't stand on my legs until I was 18 months old. I learned to walk then. That was the start of pain in my behind. I fell down when I went skating when I was 17 on my tailbone and must have broken it. Had terrible pain seen stars when I fell. I learned fast never went skating again. Have had lots of falls since and always landed on my left knee and of course pain in behind. Now my lower back fells stiff and painful pain goes into the left hip down the leg and when real bad all the way to the big toe. I have gone to chirpractor many times. It does help make it possible to keep moving. Use hot,cold packs hot soaks, extra calcium for pain and pray a lot. When it gets to bad I go to bed and rest. I know some of you can't do that I feel for you. I believe there is a answer to everything, but it is in God's timing. So I keep asking, searching and when I have to I just rest and wait with the strength within me till the pain lets up. How many of you all know when your pain started and did something happen to you? Does fm run to these sites and really wham us? Why does it do this? I am full of questions and not many answers. The pain also goes all the way around to the front and down the inside of my leg. We lived in St Louis when I was a baby and the weather there in Mo. is not kind to fm people.Lots of Love and Hugs Ruthless
  9. pooky

pooky New Member

I can't believe how many sore behinds there are out there!! I just learned a great stretch in yoga last week for that. It hurts for a minute "But" really helps. Lay on your back, pull both knees up to your chest (not good to do on a "gassy" day :0),then after a few seconds lower one leg to the floor and keep one up to the chest. Then do the opposite side. It really DOES work! A friend of mine sticks one of those migraine ice thingies to her butt or she'll put a bag of frozen veggies in her pants while she makes supper!!!
  10. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am so glad I posted this! I thought I was the only one with this type of pain! No, I don't remember ever injuring this area and it isn't my hip, it's the upper outer quadrant of my right buttock and the pain is deep and specific to that area. It doesn't migrate nor do I think it is referred pain, but man is it deep and severe....I'd rate it today as an 8 on a scale of 1-10. No exaggeration. In the past I have felt it in the other side, but usually it is on the right. I "favor" my left foot from a previous fracture and I put all my weight on my right one, so I'm sure that everything is out of kilter from this. Heat is my preferred treatment as I cannot tolerate cold at all. I burned my butt today from the heating pad......see, it would be just like me to have a second or third degree burn on my "arse" and have to go to the E.R. for treatment, so I switched to my hot rice sock instead, but it is hard to lie down on that! I have odd problems, don't I? At times I just have to laugh.......maybe tomorrow, today I'm closer to crying. Anyway, my caring, thoughful, loving, healthcare professional employers have called and told me that the 11-7 nurse will be on jury duty for two weeks and I need to be at work at 4:30 each a.m. instead of 6:30 to do that med pass......I have missed my aquatherapy class at 3:30 p.m. too many times lately because of my job and I just blew up and told them "NO!" I said, "Have you not heard me tell you lately that I am exhausted and in pain and concerned about my recent liver biopsy results? Do you REALLY not care at all as long as you have a body for that position? Well, you'll have a dead body pretty soon if you don't back off!" Should I feel guilty? They probably think I've lost my mind now, but , oh well! So, no matter what, I won't be there 'til 6:30 and if they don't watch out, I may have to burden them a little more by taking a medical leave of absence to take care of myself for a change!!!!!
    Lord, it does feel good to have a mini breakdown now and then, doesn't it???
    Love and health to all,
    Kady
  11. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

Hi Kady

I have constant pain on both sides of my BUTT!

My Physical Therapist told me it is the "Glutenous (sp?) muscle.

She gave me an exercise that really helps. Hope I maybe able to explain it in 'words'.

Lay on the outer left side of your bed, roll on your right side. Take your left leg & move it to the left (towards the middle of your bed and up) as far as you can while your right leg 'hangs off of the bed'. Try to "stretch' the left leg as as far as you can towards the upper part of your bed, BUT dont hold your breath and hold for about 30 secs. Do the exercise about 10 times and then roll to your right side and repeat.

Hope I made sense.

Gentleness
  12. BonBons

BonBons New Member

Kady - I had severe sciatica in 1997 on and off until they found a cyst (neuroma) growing on my sciatic nerve root. I think it may have been an endometriosis growth that travelled. I read the operative report after surgery to remove it in 1998, had 2 opinions (one neurologist and one orthopedist) and neither of them could figure out what the "brownish fluid" inside the cyst was. I felt suicidal and NO pain meds worked, although they never got beyond codeine despite my pleas. My worst pain came AFTER having a physical therapist massage me (he was actually pushing the cyst harder into the nerve). I know this is an unusual reason for sciatica, but just wanted you to make sure you get MRIs, CTs or whatever before the docs throw meds and PT at you. I still get the butt pain down both legs but not as bad due to 2 herniated disks and in 1990, had surgery that found adhesions on the right bowel and pelvic area. Riding in the car is the absolute worst so try always to move around, even after you get well don't sit too long. I don't want to scare you at all, fear exacerbates my pain, but I feel for you - it's the worst kind of pain - maybe, God willing, you have a degenerative disk acting up and can manage it with Neurontin (works for some)and physical therapy exercises. Don't give up, and don't let the doctors brush you off!! BonBons
  13. Joannie

Joannie New Member

I was wondering if you have spoken with your Doctor about this? I have suffered for almost three years now with this. Yuck... I feel for you. I wanted to mention that if you have not seen your Doctor you should. With you stating you have favored your other foot you could have thrown your SI joint out and that could very well be causing the problems you are having. Or it could be piriformis syndrome. The piriformis muscle could be very tight and ave your sciatic nerve trapped. And I was also wondering is this causing any problems with your nerves? Are you getting nerve pain and is it traveling down your leg at all or just staying within the buttock?
    I wish you much luck and would seriously recommend you seeing your Doctor about if you have not already.
    Joannie
  14. Carina

Carina New Member

In response to the message of Dorothyanne. Finally I have found someone who has the arse pain that extends to the genitals. To get rid of that and the band-like feeling that is mostly on my left cheek, I have a Trigger Point Release massage done in those areas. It is embarrasing to say the least. I am in so much pain and can not do it myself. This is where a very good friend came in handy. The problems down below would get so bad that I could not even go to the bathroom when I wanted to. This special massage technique is the only thing I have found that works. If you wear a pad or pantyliner for any reason it makes it reappear for some reason. Put OPTP in your search engine and look for a book called Trigger Point Release Manual.
    This will help you or others learn the steps to take as it is often too hard to find someone to do this as well as very expensive. Good luck. [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2002]
  15. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Kady, you are a total crack up. Thanks for the laughs. I'm sorry your butt is killing you today, I wish I could help. My pain is really deep too. I have my ex use the heel of his hand and grind it into the deep pocket on the upper outer part of my butt cheeks. It gets way down in there where it hurts. It feels soooo good. And hurts so bad. I actually yell in pain, but when he gets it right the pain goes away for an hour or so, lol. I also do the leg thing, pulling them up to my chest and stretching that part of my butt. Sometimes it doesn't help tho cuz my gut is so fat. Are you married? Got a friend? Make them rub it! hehehe all the best, Nancy
  16. dorothyanne

dorothyanne New Member

with genital pain that radiates from the back / sciatic nerve, etc. I do know what you mean by the trigger point and the massage. I too had a very close friend do this massage for me -- the spot was intensely painful. Unfortunately, this "boyfriend" is no longer someone I want touching me, so no more massage.

I have ordered a book called "Trigger Point Guide Workbook" by Clair Davies, which hopefully will cover this problem area.

Fortunately, the genital pain is less severe since I stopped taking the synthetic HRT and started on the natural hormones. The naturally compounded progesterone cream seems to offer me relief. This, however, is only part of the cause.

Soft Hugs, Dorothyanne
  17. kadywill

kadywill New Member

the big old pain in my butt stays right there in the same spot all the time, but, dang it, why'd you have to mention the pain in the "coochee" (as my daughter called it!) Now, I think that hurts, too!! Power of suggestion..... Yes, my hubby would be more than happy to massage anything that I want massaged...problem is, he always wants me to return the favor and I'm too relaxed and comfy to move after my massage! Thanks for the replies and advice....I hate to mention this to my doc, but I will, just in case there is something that can be done!!!

Love,
    Kady
  18. tamara!

tamara! New Member

i go to a rheumatologist for my FMS and they also dx me with bursitis of the"Booty". It's a very intense,deep pain that will progress down my legs. i work in retail and like you my job is very demanding i am on my feet all the time.i understand your booty pain! nothing seems to give relief for long. my meds help sometimes.
  19. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I have such a pain in the right side of my butt! It is NOT sciatica for me..it is waaaay down in the muscle deep. I try to put like acupressure on that spot..when I hit the right spot and really push..YIKES..brings tears to my eyes..butt(G) if I keep it on..the pain does seem to try to subside. Hope maybe this will give you a bit of relief.
    And hope your behind starts treating you better REAL soon.
  20. teach6

teach6 New Member

I get big knots in my butt. My massage therapist works on them every week and that helps a lot. I also learned some stretches that help, when I remember to do them. I have been overdoing it lately and am paying the price. I'm hurting a lot and sooooo fatigued I can barely do a thing.

Tomorrow I'll have a B-12 injection, which will help with the fatigue and if my chiro's not still sick I'll see her. She uses the Active Release Technique which is quite helpful.

Barbara

[ advertisement ]