Major Road Construction near my house....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Beadlady, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Grind, grind, rumble, rumble, squeak, squeak and the BEEP, BEEP BEEP along with my house shaking--it is all making me crazy!! Not to mention they have been working on it the last 3 days straight 24 hours a day. They did take a break for a few hours last night but other than that it has been constant.

I know nothing anyone can do but I just need to vent to someone who understands. The only person I could stay with lives 20 miles away and I can't do that drive 2 times a day--especially at night.

My husband turns up the TV to try & drown out the noise and that drives me nuts too.

Thanks for reading & understanding.
    Bead
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

We had tons of road work for weeks going on around us. All I can say is RUN to the pharmacy and buy a supply of silicone ear plugs. I carry a pair in my purse also for when noise gets too much for me. You can adjust how much you hear by slightly pushing them into your ear or more to really drown out noise. I also wear them at noisy restaurants.
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

Bead - I understand completely. Loud noise is my very worse ptsd/cfs situation. The house that we have moved to is on a very noisy street - with truck traffic. It affects me so strongly that I can't use some of the rooms at all without earplugs. Also for when the traffic is noisiest, or landscaping machinery, I wear over the highest decibel ear-plugs, an ear-muff like the kind you would wear at a shooting range.

It is also high decibel. The combo of the both of them works great. Other things I have found is an electronic environment sound machine. It imitates the sounds of birds, or ocean, brooks.

I really thought I wouldn't be able to live here because of how loud, continuous noise triggers off old traumas for me. But I did a lot of research on noise protection. There is so much info. out there now . They also have things to put under your pillow. And much more. I also use a fan to block out noise, and even have a CD of fan sound for cold weather. It's a huge issue with me.

Some sites help you evaluate what type of noise you need to block out. But definitely get ear-plugs first, as Sunflowergirl suggested. I use the highest decibel rating - 33. This kind are foam. I was using them inproperly for years and they were not as effective. I saw a video on earplugstore.com showing how you slowly roll them, then squeeze them tightly, pull your ear out and up, and insert gently in ear canal. Wow - what a difference in blocking noise!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. 24 hr. construction is horrible.

Judy
  4. JamesGem

JamesGem Member

I can completely understand your situation as I have gone through it. A building construction next to my home made me crazy. I am sure road construction will not take much time. Make it you family picnic time and go for a holiday if possible. buy my home for cash
  5. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    Their redoing our streets this summer also. The whole shebang! New water, sewer, road, gutter and sidewalks. So I understand exactly how your feeling. I'm VERY noise sensitive, and I'm just trying to get through everyday and look forward to it being finished. There isn't much that can be done, and I wish I had an answer. I'm going to the library a lot!
    Wishing you better days!
    kbak