Make Fun of the "Fibro Fog"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DelightsDomain, Aug 26, 2008.

1. DelightsDomain

DelightsDomain New Member

As most of us know w/ FM we, at some point, have delt or are dealing with the evil Fibro Fog. In my dealings with it, it has been less than histerical. It usually leaves me feeling frustrated and pissed off. I'm trying to change my attitude about this horrible symptom of FM and perhaps see a lighter side. Maybe you could help me in just telling some little story or thing you have done that you wouldnt usually do because you were in a "Fibro Funk". I would love to hear the stories and perhaps learn not to take mine so seriously. I will start.

I was taking my daughter to Karate and on the way home I reached in my purse to find my cell phone and saw that it wasnt where it usually is. I thought no more of it as I thought I left it at home charging. When I got home I had a message on my machine from someone who lived in my neighborhood saying that they found my phone along side the road and that they would bring it by. I was in a state of panic because I dont recall leaving it on the top of my car. The phone is my life and it's also my lifeline to my husband who is in Iraq. Thank GOD someone decent found my phone and returned to me. It could have been worse I suppose.

Another time was just before this my husband was home for his 2 week R.R. and when he got back to Iraq he told me that while he was home I was mean to him and hurt his feelings. To which I have no recollection of saying anything that would hurt him. It was like when you are in college and drink too much and wake up the next morning your friends telling you how you acted a fool and yet you cant recall anything. I felt so bad for him all I can do is say "I'm sorry, I dont remember."

The most recent of "Fibro Fog" was my husband and I were going to get dinner for our family and friends and I had a $100 bill to pay for dinner with. I had it in my hands the entire car trip which was about 15 minutes. I'm not sure when I did this but I guess I put it in one of the pockets in my purse. I get out of the car, go into the pizza place to use the restroom and pay for dinner. While checking out I'm panicking because I couldnt find the money anywhere. Not in my wallet, not where I keep my cash, not in my checkbook area or where I put my credit cards. I calmly handed the cashier my debit card and went to the car to see if I dropped it. I dump everything out of my purse in search for this money, again in the wallet etc. I go back into the pizza place to see if maybe I put it in my pocket and it fell out while going to the no avail. I go back out into the car checking the ground, the floor the front seat yet nothing. I take one last look in my purse unzip the zipper to the inside pocket and there it was as it had been the entire time. Although I was relieved it put me into instant pissed off mode. My husband looking at me as if I were crazy....I told him I hate it when that happens to me. I hate that I'm only 33 and cant remember things I do 2 seconds ago or do things and forget, say things and forget. It drives me INSANE!!!
  2. MandaJ

MandaJ New Member

I learned my lesson about shopping while in a "fog." My sister (she lives with us) was ill and needed some cold medicine. I offered to go to the store for Kleenex, Tussin and juice. I had been feeling off all day and should have known better.

I got home from Target with 10 bottles of some fancy water, a blanket that doesn't match anything in my house, three t-shirts that were way too big and 15 boxes of Kleenex. And no Tussin.

My husband, being the good soul he is, returned everything but the Kleenex (it was only $1 per box and I was out at work) and got my sister the correct items on the list.
  3. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

1) My family and I were driving to Cape Cod to visit my parents. We have made this trip hundreds of times. On one of the exits we get off on, I started yelling at my husband that we are going the wrong way. Both my daughter (14 at the time) and my husband are looking at me like I had 3 heads. I was getting so pissed and then recognized something on the road. We were going the right way.

2)I live in New Hampshire and had to go to Wisconsin for 4 days, for a Board Meeting. I brought my meds except for the major one. My fentenyl patch.

3)My word retrieval is aweful. I feel like I have Alzheimers at times.

4) fell asleep on the toilet and fell off, hitting my head on the tub.

5) fell asleep standing up in the bathroom and fell into the tub.

6) I have woken up to find that I had taken all of the toothpaste out of the bathroom and put it on my bedside table.

7) I repeat myself all of the time because I forget what Ihave already said.

8) fell asleep at the airport waiting for a flight that was delayed for 5 hours. I was at the gate and when the plane was ready to go, no one woke me up. An hour later, I woke up at midnight to see no one at the gate. The plane left, I was stuck in NY for the night. Talk about being scared shitless.

Oh what a wonderful disease we have.

4. DelightsDomain

LMAO....I'm sorry but the sleeping through the flight one is a bit funny. I'm sure it didnt seem that way at the time but that is a total Home Alone moment.

It's scary sometimes just the little things that we,I'm sure, have always taken for granted can seem like a daunting task. Doing your business on the "John" and falling asleep? I dozed off while driving home w/ my kids after coming home from my daughter's Karate class. I had to make myself stay awake until I got home....I was scared shitless, as you say.

In hearing your stories makes my fibro fog seem like a blip compared to all of yours.

Keep the stories coming!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2008]
  5. DelightsDomain

See here it is right now as I was typing my last story....the "fibro repeat"

"I dozed off while driving home w/ my kids after coming home from my daughter's Karate class."

This totally doesnt make sense..I was driving home after coming home....good lord. What I meant to say was on my way home from my dauthter's Karate class.

I'm having a really difficult time this morning so you'll have to excuse my thoughts if they seem random. I'm scattered brain'd this morning. I'm going back to bed.

hope you guys are having a better day than I am.

6. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I think my crazy stuff is funny now. Once I get over the frustration of things I just sit back and laugh. Dozing while driving is dangerous. I think I was doing that when I was still working. There were some days I didn't know how I got home. I stopped working shortly after that.

I have so many DUH stupid moments. Talk to you later.

7. Alycia07

Alycia07 New Member

i know this all to well. I think I lose my keys or my money at least twice a week. I can never remember what I told anyone or what they told me. My husband looks at me like I am crazy because I didnt understand what he just said. I cant remember to even eat sometimes even if my stomach is growling. It gets so frustrating sometimes but I laugh about it later. My husband dont let me forget the "dingy" things I do. lol
  8. behooved

behooved New Member

Sometimes I stare at the wall and completely blank out and hours go by without even being aware of myself.

I often drive on the wrong side of the road, or go the wrong way down a one-way street and don't realize I'm doing it wrong for several minutes, then completely panic once I do. I really don't trust myself driving anymore.

I'm always blanking out on words, particularly names of things. Names of my best friends, names of famous people, names of songs and bands that I've loved forever.

Every single time I try to dial a phone number, I switch the numbers around without realizing it. I even double and triple check, and it looks right to me when it isn't. I can't tell you how many times I ended up calling sex hotlines thinking it was my bank or doctors office.

I'm only 25 years old and I was a university student with a mind as sharp as a tack before I got sick 2 years ago.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2008]
  9. MandaJ

MandaJ New Member

I sleepwalk often and have fallen asleep on the toilet, propped up against the wall, pants around my ankles. I've slept walked my entire life, but my husband didn't know I did until he caught me asleep on the loo on morning. Now he catches me frequently.

The other morning I was feeling so out of it and so rushed to get everything done that I left my keys on the hook in the house and instead took the lawn mower key. I was the only one home and couldn't get ahold of anyone to come help. Just when I thought there was no hope, I kicked my purse and my spare key fell out.

But now I don't know what I did with the lawn mower key ...
  10. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

In the last couple weeks my forgetfulness has gotten at least twice as bad.

Just yesterday i went shopping for a couple items. I took my DIL with me(thanks God0 I only went for 2 items remember. I get into the store and after walking around for a few minutes I ask Dessy What did I come in here for? She reminded me.Okay so now I know what I'm suppose to get.

Went and got the one item she had reminded me of walked around a few more minutes trying to remember what the other item was before looking stupid and having to ask her again.
    Could not remember so I had to hang my head and ask her.
    I am so upset about this I can't find any humor in it.

Today while folding towels I was thinking of what I'd do when I got the towels done. I am here at the pc now trying to remember what it was I was going to do.

It was bad before but this is scary.

Do you think thyroid has anything to do with it or what. Maybe just carrying around all this pain puts our brains in overload or something.

I'd really like to see someone address this issue in terms of maybe a solution,side effects of drugs or something.
  11. DelightsDomain

IDK what makes us so "goofy" it does seem strange and I suppose at this point, it's anybody's guess.

I hate when I'm driving on a road that I have been down 100 times and just all of a sudden I forget where I am. In a panic looking around for something familiar I come to an intersection and recall where I'm at just forgot where I was going. When I realize what I'm doing, I'm on the other side of town from where I needed to be and have to back track my direction....sooo frustrating.

I always forget what I'm saying if I'm in a conversation and forget trying to remember a phone number even if I just look at it and try to dial. Even when I am looking at the number I always intervert numbers. I used to be a bookkeeper and was always good with numbers and remembering account numbers, but now....forget it. I'm supposed to be going back to work soon but now I'm afraid of looking like an idiot if I get hired and have all of these problems...What's a girl to do?
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am always losing things. I will write lists of things I need to do, etc. and they totally disappear.

I blame it on the Fibro Fog Fairies or FFF. They are forever losing my things.

Yesterday, I treated myself to a Starbucks as a reward for getting a lot of errands done. I drove up to the window, gave my order and drove away!!

By the time I realized what I had done, I just circled around and came back to the window where the woman had my order in hand.

With a straight face she commented, "Hon, it looks like you need this!!!"

I think I could write a book.

13. carebelle

carebelle New Member

look at my profile this is my mascot for fibo fog or the frog as I call it hope you get a good lol
  14. Sachmo500

Sachmo500 New Member

My daughter caught me loading the closet with laundry instead of the washing machine

15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Love the frog, LOL!!

Have you ever called someone and forget why you have called them?

While I believe that there is some damage to the brain from all of this, I often wonder how much of FF is due to being in pain with fatigue and that interfers with our concentration.

16. dragonturtle

dragonturtle New Member

Last month my husband and I were talking about what supplies that we needed from the store. He mentioned bleach. I said we didn't need any because there is a big bottle above the washer. He argued that we have been out for over a month. i went to prove it to him. I gave him the bottle that I had been using. To may embarassment, it was a refill bottle of 409. Thankfully, it must have been safe to use for laundry, no rashes or anything.

I lose thing all the time. Just yesterday, I left my sunglasses at the grocery store. Surprising, since the sun kills me. I was in too much of a fog to notice. Oh well.
    I'll get a ride there tomorrow to pick them up. Have a huge full page note on couch to remind me. Ha Ha!
  17. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

Pain / Fatigue / Stress / Depression / Anxiety = All equals cognative/memory issues.

With that being said, it is a wonder any of us can scratch our ass when it itches. I mean have we not suffered enough. Early onset Alzheimers' runs in my family. My dad just died on June 28th, a week shy of his 58th b-day, from alzheimers. I am the eldest child and have to wonder if memory issues are due to any of the above, or the fibro, or the alzheimers.

LEFTYGG Member

my daughter tells me i blurt out stuff im not suppose to tell lol she calls it word vomit.

i lose everything i lost my car at the drs on monday i try to brush it off.

the dr at ffc pointed out something in my tests and said this is why you have memory problems. i turned to my dh and said see im not nuts.
  19. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

My daughter asked me to get her a baggie and...ok, i forgot what the other thing was...real funny...anyways, i started to repeat it to myself as I walked away...she followed me and said,"I said baggie not magazine." In my mind, I saw a baggie but my mouth was saying magazine instead of the correct name baggie. This is scary.

the other horrible one was when I blanked out and couldn't remember how to tape a show on the VCR...i just sat there and stared at the heart pounding away...i started to panic because this is crazy! I do this very couple of days!

i was introducing a friend and totally blanked out on her name...and couldn't remember it until I asked my hubby...this was not a name i should forget...

as for falling asleep on the john, i fell asleep with a yogurt in my hand....yes, i got up and got a snack, then went to the toilet, second, carrying the snack around the whole time....(doing things in stupid sequence is also a problem) anyways, i dozed right off and dropped the yogurt and it cracked open....and there was yogurt on the floor in the bathroom in the morning ....cuz i missed some while cleaning up, half asleep....

i also panic while driving cuz i forget where i am going...

and i forget where i hide things from my sons when i take them away from them...then i cn't remember where to loook for them when it is time to give them back...
  20. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I am tired and want to nap but, I have misplaced my amtrack tickets and have to find them. Say I prayer that I do.....please???