Make-up advice - please!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by beaniej, Jan 30, 2006.

1. beaniej

beaniej New Member

Hi, y'all. I need some advice on make-up. I am 44 years old and feel like I need an update on my face. I'm tired of looking like "dead gal walking".

A few months ago, I started using Oil of Olay skin cleanser and age defying under-the-eye gel (I have bags under my eyes; probably because of FMS). I have also tried 3X mascara, lipgloss, and lip stain products. These work out well.

My problem: I recently bought a stick eye liner; the one that smudges a little. Well, it smudges too much and seems to climb into my bags. And I really try not to touch my eyes after applying make-up.

Is there a trick to putting on eye liner so that it doesn't smudge all over? Any other advice on concealing my bags?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jane

P.S. I really don't like using the beige all-over-your-face make-up.

2. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I know two tricks to it--

Put on your mascara before you use eyeliner. The stiffness in your lashes will help keep your hand steady.

Also, put a face powder on your eyelids before and after you use eyeliner. This will help "set" it so it doesn't stay all smudgy.

Good luck!

--jennypee
  3. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I was happy to see that someone is still trying to use make-up here, because there are so many who are feeling so terrible they have had to give it up. Add to that, so many have chemical sensitivities and make-up just does not agree with them at all.

On the rare, and I mean very rare ocassions I leave my house though, I still attempt a little make-up. Maybe I am vain, but I think it is my security blanket. I know what I look like without it and I really would hate to frighten small children or expectant mothers if they saw me sans make-up!

I like to stick with Clinique. It is the only make up that does not break me out anymore. And as for eyeliner, the only kind I have ever used is cake eyeliner. You can control it so much better because you add a few drops of water and it doesn't just flow everywhere, does not smudge at all. Well, if you have a really fierce crying jag it may, but otherwise it sets and stays very well.

Now as for bags, I have those so badly that I scare myself some days. A couple of weeks ago I had to go out in public and I tried putting cucumbers on my eyes for a bit. Didn't work and the juice seeped out and stung my eyes-so not worth it! So I did what I did when I was younger and sometimes sat for a photographer. I drug out the Preperation H cream and dabbed just a couple of drops under each eye and smoothed it in. Voila, bags gone. I know it sounds crazy and I would not do it on a regular basis. But I have known of models who use Preperation H on a daily basis. It really does reduce the puffiness. I know I sound like a loon, but hey...if it works, right?
  4. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I once read that preperation H works on bags. When my grandfather passed away last year I had the biggest bags I had ever seen ~ I tried it and it did help.

Just put a little bit on so it is not so greasy. I bet the new cream kind would work as well.

I know it is funny but what the heck - no one will know.

Kelly
  5. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

Bare Escentuals? It is a powder foundation alot of women like. You can get it on QVC, and I think it's on info-mercials too. I also really like Smashbox cream eyeliner you put on with a very straight brush liner. You can get that at QVC.com too. It comes in lots of colors too. (No relationship with QVC other than liking some of their cosmetics!)

Do you put liner under your bottom lashes? Maybe just try your upper lashes and it won't migrate under your eyes.

Hope this helps!

Warmly,
    Maggie
  6. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

too funny having the same suggestion!

Have a great day!

Kelly
  7. jane32

jane32 New Member

and my counters are filled with every brand-literally everything from the cheapest to the most expensive. You may want to try a liquid eyeliner-I like Avon's actually. Also, after you apply the eyeliner get your blowdryer out and zap your eye with the Cold function for a few seconds-it helps set it.

You may need a better pencil if it is clumping-stay away from Kohl pencils they tend to smudge. Dusting translucent powder will help set as well.

As for bags-cold green tea bags. Origions makes a great product-I keep it in my fridge-It is called no puffery.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I quit using the liquid makeup, or cream foundation, etc. I used to use Mary Kay foundation that was in a compact and you put it on with a sponge.

I changed to the powder minerals like Bare Essentials. Only I bought Jane Iredale (on web). It's foundation and concealer together in fine powder minerals. You use a moisturizer first (I use Oil of Olay) and then apply with a good quality brush. It it WONDERFUL!!!

It covers all my redness and my face looks so much lighter and younger--no heavy lotions or creams going into your pours--it is just great!

They also have bronzers or blushes in minerals.

I also use eyebrow pencil and eye shadow. Can't use mascara because of allergy to it. I never did use eyeliner because I felt like I looked like a racoon with it on!

I still stick with my Maybelline lipstick because I have never found another color like I like in any other brand, expensive or not.

Search on minerals makeup and you can buy samples from all of them to try before you buy. I paid $15 or so for my jar of minerals and have barely touched it--it lasts forever!
  9. jvrealty

jvrealty New Member

Hi
    i am 45 and was feeling down. this past saturday, went to mall and looked up the "prescriptives" counter and had my make up done. the girl was great. she matched my skin tone perfectly and the one i bought is "virtual skin" which looks like you have nothing on......a little mascara and a good moisturizer. this brand is very very good....

go into one of the stores and sit yourself down in a chair and let them make you over. you'll love it and it is good therapy because you have to sit and let them have the control. let us know how it comes out.

best wishes.....

jv
  10. jane32

jane32 New Member

Yes the eyeshadow bases used for eyeliner are great-I like MAC and Bobbi brown for those types of thigns. You need to get a small brush to put it on but it does not smudge. I have to reapply later in the day though and add a little more then usual for definition.

Definitely visit the make-up counter it is so much fun!
  11. beaniej

beaniej New Member

Thank you all SO MUCH!! I never knew there were this many tricks to looking good with make-up.

I think I will definitely try Prep H for the bags. And I think I will try eye shadow instead of eye liner. And I am positive that I will pamper myself with a full facial!

Thanks to all of you!

God bless.

Jane