Making a living

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Goldenlight, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board and have been reading with interest many of the topics. I can relate! I've had CFS and FM for about 13 years. I'm divorced and its up to me, myself, and I to make a living now. Kids are grown and on their own. How does one make it financially when feeling so sick? I've made major lifestyle changes -- including divorce, quitting a stressful job and moving across the country to a warmer climate. I've even gone to a healing school for awhile to learn everything I could about holistic health. I've been convinced all along that I'd beat this thing. However... with the exception of some brief "up" cycles I seem to actually be getting worse over the long haul. I have not worked for the past 2+ years and have been grateful for that time to heal yet here I am still with this darned illness and am no longer seeing ANY options for gainful employment. Hopes, dreams, AND downright financial survival are dimming. So far I haven't found any work at home ideas that seem right. I'm reluctant to file for SSDI since I don't have a lot of medical record documentation. I've worked mostly with alternative and complimentary methods as well as on my own. I now go to a naturopathic doctor and am spending about $500/mo on various supplements (including adrenal support). Eeek!! Anyway, sorry this is getting so long. I still get a little income from my ex for the next 3 years but after that I will have NO income unless there is a major shift somewhere. And... yes, I have watched The Secret and agree with much of it but how does one create positive energy when getting slapped in the face with major pain, fatigue, etc. So -- thank you to anyone that may have some ideas for me -- maybe, what's working for them -- etc. I'm eternally grateful. Sending hugs to you all.

Goldenlight
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I am in the same boat hun. I am trying to get all of my ducks in a row so to speak. I am rapidly approaching a major decision point with this illness (FMS) but the thought of not getting SSD approved or even not being able to get LTD (that I pay for also) really frightens me. Hugs to you too.
  3. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

To Msdreamalone,

I LOVE it. We have to keep up our senses of humor!! Right? Besides -- wouldn't it be a whole lot more fun faking a living rather than making a living? Sounds like more fun.

Goldenlight
  4. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

Thank you for all the information. I will try and find the website you mentioned. Everything feels SO overwhelming. I have a lot of pain today and wonder how to make the most of the day. Today I feel like going back to bed and pulling the covers over my head. That state of being doesn't help me find any long term solutions or rays of hope.

Hope you have a good day. Thanks again!

Goldenlight