Making Cajun Seafood Gumbo

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, May 1, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm still exhausted from the extended coughing following my bronchitis in Feb., but I've been wanting to use my new range and have been jonesin' for some really good gumbo. It's simmering on the stovetop now. It has okra, shrimp, crab, stone crab claws, scallops, corn on the cob, and Anduille sausages. Mmmmm. It's messy to eat but it sure is good. The shells are left on the shrimp and crab as they give the gumbo flavor. They way to eat it is to reach in and take out the corn or shelled shrimp or crab claws. Then, you wipe it on a big piece of white bread and eat it with your hands. I cook it with the sausage whole but it can be cut in the bowl.

Wish y'all were here to help me eat it.

Love, Mikie
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

oh my gosh my mouth is watering! Do you ship?

glad you are feeling better this gumbo had to have really cheered you up. I wanted to make stuffed cabbage today but wasnt able.

could you post your recipe? I have always wanted to try gumbo

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Now stop that!! I am drooling on my computer and if it shorts out I will have to send you the bill. I know, I know, try and find you!!

Congrats on feeling better.

I would love to get the recipe. I also love stuffed cabbage. My mother and I used to cut up a cabbage head, put it in a pan with only a small amount of oil, then eat it with butter on top. We would eat the whole thing!! Believe it or not, there are times I have craved Brussels sprouts (is it Brussels or Brussel?) which I think are in the cabbage family. Must have been a rabbit in a past life.

4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Mikie,

I have been unable to find a really good recipe for gumbo - seafood and/or and chicken, sausage, etc. Is there any quick way of doing it?? If not, I would still like the recipe some time, if you have the time to print it out for some of us who might want it.

I am also drooling all over my computer. I came from NY and then DH and I got transferred to LA and then TX years ago., Oh my, the gumbo is just to die for but I never grew up with it so really don't have any good recipes;.

Who cares if it is messy to eat. It is wonderfully fantastic - yummy yum YUMMM!!

I also love stuffed cabbage buyt haven't done that in a long time. There is a recipe someone gave me sometime ago that has the cabbage and ehe meat mixure but a you do not have to stuff it. I want to make it one of these days.

[This Message was Edited on 05/02/2009]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't use a recipe. I'm sure that once upon a time, I had one but it has long disappeared. You can buy Cajun, or hot seafood, seasoning in the spices section of the store. You just season it to taste. The okra helps thicken the sauce and gives it a bit of spicy flavor. I made a roux of butter and flour after I had browned the sausages. The roux helps thicken the sauce too. Other than that, you use tomato juice, paste, or canned crushed tomatoes for the sauce. Then, you just throw in anything you have left over or anything you like. Fish, chicken, and sausage work the best. I like to throw in the corn near the end of the cooking. I let the sauce simmer for a couple of hours. It's usually better the next day heated up.

You make a roux by browning flour in better and stirring it around until it is nice and dark brown but not burned.

My energy levels come and go. This week, I had to open at the store four days--last week, two days. This means getting up at 5:00 a.m. I get off by 1:00 but am too tired to do anything but sleep the rest of the day.

About the only way I like cabbage is in slaw but perhaps I've never had good stuffed cabbage.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Good luck if y'all decide to do the gumbo. I'll bet there are recipes online. It's pretty hard to screw it up. If you don't like spicy food, use some other type of sausage or just put seafood or chicken in it. Gumbo is just another kind of stew and you can spice it up as much as you want.

Love, Mikie
  6. 3gs

3gs New Member

I was able to make my stuffed cabbage(also had a burst of engery)

It was ok. the cabbage was tough! cooked it forever. Think next time I'll try layering the cabbage and meat. easier.(it all fell out anyway!)

love slaw and wanted to make that too. My aunt had a recipe for freezer slaw thats was yummy. Dad lost the receipe and now they have both passed away.

nice thing about soups or stews many meals!
  7. Granniluvsu

Thanks for what information you gave me. I hope to try it sometime soon. Have you ever used the jarred roux or the packaged mixes, spices ? Just curious !! Guess I just have to start experimenting.

Also, do you add your fish and shrimp, scallops at the very end? I know they do not need very much cooking? We got used to wonderful gumbo when we lived in LA and DH worked in New Orleans. So, I did not grow up having this good stuff.

Geez, there I go getting hungry AGAIN.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Except the corn, at the beginning. The scallops fall apart as does loose crabmeat, but they flavor the gumbo. What is left in the shells is removed when eaten. I make my own roux as it's so easy. Any packaged products are usually from Knorr. I make a good Hollandaise sauce but it doesn't compare with what I make from the Knorr package. I love it on Eggs Benedict or asparagas.

Since I live alone, and am so tired a lot of the time, I don't cook much anymore. I loved to cook when I had a family or boyfriends (single men love a good homecooked meal). Actually, most of the single men I dated were pretty good cooks and cooked for me too. There is something very sexy about a man who cooks.

Publix, where I work, has a cooking program called, "Aprons." I imagine there are other chain supermarkets which have similar programs. Every so often, they print new recipies which can be filed in a notebook one can buy. There are cooks in the stores preparing the meals and they give out samples. The only problem I can see is that most of the recipes require ingredients you must buy in order to make the recipies. At least, one can try the recipies before buying all the stuff to make them.

BTW, I loooove the new ceramic glass cooktop range. Haven't tried the convection oven yet but will soon. I have to clean the top every time I cook but it's easy to clean. Mine is a speckled black, gray, and white and doesn't show smears like the all black ones can do. Evidently the cleaner leaves a protective skin on the top. That is why it can leave smears when cleaned.

My kids are coming so maybe I'll get ambitious and cook for them.

Bon Apetit!

Love, Mikie
  9. Granniluvsu

You were talking about corn. Do you put in canned, whole corn or on the cob? I have no idea. Gee I am getting hungry again !

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You put in half cobs of whole corn, either the frozen ones or fresh. Like with the shrimp, you wipe the corn cob off on a piece of white bread before eating it with your fingers. It's a tasty, messy meal. After the bread is soaked in sauce, you eat the bread. You don't have to do it like this but it's traditional.

Love, Mikie