making probiotics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deadtired, Feb 23, 2010.

1. deadtired

deadtired Member

How do you make your own probiotics...I am curious..Nancy
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Nancy - You can make either yogurt or kefir. Kefir has more probiotics than yogurt, and also has several different types of yeast which actually compete with candida and help to keep candida in check. Kefir also is high in B vitamins.
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Kefir ferments on milk sugar (lactose), so it can be made at home. The key is to not let if over-ferment. Kefir has 10 probiotics. Add it to a smoothie and it will help to transition to its flavor.

Also, if you have an appendix, its a source of probiotics that helps the colon recover after a bout of diarrhea. The appendix has a purpose after all.
  4. deadtired

deadtired Member

thanks tiger lea, allwxrider, I will look into the kefir kits. My son got into making kombucha, I believe its fermented tea... maybe all these things work on same theory..fermentation thanks again
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

The best kefir is made from live grains, rather than packaged dried grains you can buy in the store. Live grains can't be purchased in the store so you need to look around the internet for someone selling them. You can try either Dom's kefir site or the KefirLady.
  6. deadtired

deadtired Member

thanks Tiger lilea for the information...will have this kefir making on the back burner...one day will give a try..