Making Xmas as Simple as Possible

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by abcanada, Nov 25, 2006.

1. abcanada

abcanada New Member

After reading some of the great ideas you all seem to share to make your lives easier, I thought it would be a good idea to start sharing some ideas to make the holidays as enjoyable with as little work as possible! Whatever you would care to contribute would be great whether it be regarding shopping, entertaining or easy recipes. I hope everyone has a great holiday season. Laura
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Laura... 2 words...
    it sure does help though. Found some great stuff and lots are offering free shipping.
    Just a thought for our fatigued family here.
    Anxious to hear other advice here.
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

Wrapping is next to impossible for me any more.....exhausting. I usually have my gifts bought and all by now each year....and I have not bought a thing yet! I usually buy during the whole year as I see things that others would like.

I have some unique little gift bags....some are little mittens......I can stick candies or small gifts in them along with a gift card or money.......or attach to a small box of whatever.

My circle loves to hit the sales after Christmas and this gives them some "mad money" to do so. Also they get more for the money spent with the sales.

They also will understand that I have changed. But it is more than my illness.....this goes with age anyhow.

4. abcanada

abcanada New Member

A suggestion for the big families, or the ones that seemed to have grown very big overnight(seems this has happened to us over the last few years with babaies, marriages & a new step familiy). Draw names if you still do the gift thing. That way everyone gets a gift and maybe up the $$ amount if you're just spending on one person. You can do the kids separetly in a different draw. This is something suitable for the large extended family get togethers. I must say I'm getting excited about xmas, even though I know I'll be burnt to a crisp before it even arrives! (burnt out) This past year, I've actually acknowlegded how sick I really was. I feel it's going to make my holiday much easier given others know my restrictions! Hope everyone's having a great Sunday. Take it Esay, Laura
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

One is to really, really, try and pace yourself. I am very bad at this. If I have enough energy to do two things, I decide to push on. BAD mistake!

Order online. I am doing this for many. Cannot stand the malls or throngs of people.

If you have big dinners, and you are the one who is doing it, delegate. Make the menu easier. If someone complains, give them the recipe and let them do it.

Prepare meals over several days, so you don't have everything to do, that day.

I don't decorate as much as I use to. Our home still looks very nice. It takes energy to get out everything and put it away.

If you send cards, do several each day/night. You don't need to get them all done at the same time. Some of my friends have started sending Happy New Year's cards, after the season has settled down.

Just a few of my hints!

6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

We have cut way back on the things we do for Christmas.

We usually have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. I make lasagna and buy the ready to bake garlic bread and a bag of salad. My sister comes down for a couple hours and we do Christmas with her and her life partner.

For dessert we have birthday cake for Jesus. I buy it from Safeway.

Christmas morning I throw something in the crock pot, chili last year and stew the year before. Probably stew again this year. I get two loaves of frozen bread dough out and put it in the pans to raise.

If someone wants breakfast my DH will cook. Otherwise we make do with goodies the kids and Santa bring.

We have gone from spending way to much money to doing nearly all of our gifts homemade. Last year I carved for everyone and this year my DH has made beautiful cutting boards and jewelry boxes for each of my daughters and son-in-law. I will order some things from Overstock for my grandaughter.

My DH bought some kind of attachment for his router table in October and said that was what I had gotten him for Christmas (I'm such a good shopper!!). He made me a beautiful jewelry box. I will do a stocking for him and the kids and he usually gets me something else, like maybe a charm for my bracelet if he can afford it. (He's retired)

Usually the kids stay overnight on Christmas Eve, but this year the younger one can come, but the married one has to go to her DH's parents house. So the younger will come and we will have dinner Christmas Eve and go to a movie Christmas day. Then she has to work Christmas night.

We will actually have Christmas with both my girls on the 26th. I'm not real happy about that because I could use that day to rest before I go back to work on the 27th, but I can always recup at work!!

The girls are a lot of help when they are home. I don't know what is happening with my step-son and his girlfriend and daughter. They will come whenever it works out for them, maybe not until New Years Eve which is my grandaughter's birthday.

I love hearing everyone's Christmas traditions, hints, and helps!

Stop and smell the puppies!