Making yogurt at home, anyone experienced with this???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Jan 26, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I'd like to try making my own yogurt at home with goat's milk, as I've read it is easier to digest than cow's milk. If it's awful, I'd still like to make my own yogurt at home. I had a yogurt maker years ago, but it's long gone.

I read somewhere that a crockpot set on low can be used to incubate the yogurt? Anyone know anything about this subject? I don't want to spend lots of money on a yogurt maker if I can avoid it.

Two reasons for this tangent I'm on. The first is that I am focusing on having a very clean diet. The second is that I remember it being fun and very satisfying to 'brew' yogurt at home. I eat a lot of yogurt, buy the good stuff (Mountain High brand), but want to try this. It's also less expensive to make my own, or so I've been told.

Thank you!
    Beth.
  2. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

I used to make my own yogurt some years back, I used to make it with cow's milk. I have not tried it with goat's milk yet. I actually used a flask or an insulated pot. I used to boil milk and cool it so it was warm, mix 1 tablespoon of yogurt and leave it for about 5 hours or overnight. It took a while before I got it right. If the milk isn't warm enough, or you haven't used enough yoghurt it doesn't set. If it is too warm or you use too much yogurt or leave it for too long it becomes a bit sour. You just need to practice and get used to feel the temperature of the milk. Anyway, good luck.

Satin
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used to make my own and it was easy and good. I don't remember now how to do it.

It's one of the "funky foods" that isn't recommended for someone on the Suzanne Somers diet, so I'm not eating yogurt these days.

Love, Mikie