Malaise VS Depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Jan 14, 2007.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Is there a difference between malaise and depression? I've had CFIDS for many years, and I used to think I could tell the difference between the two; now I'm not so sure. What do you think?
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

I think they're different. One of the cfs symptoms is "post exertional malaise" which means we "feel like crap" long after we've been active. (See the "does anyone feel like crap" post to see how many feel crappy.) Depression is more of a doom and gloom type of unhappiness that tends to pinch your forehead up and make most of your thoughts negative. Nothing is enjoyable - music, your favorite tv show - all are just "too boring" or completely uninteresting. Everything's like that when you're depressed - just too dark and full of doom and gloom.

The post exertional malaise is just your mitochondria (cell engines) running out of fuel and clogging up with waste. This is easier to fix than depression. You need to give the mitochondria fuel which you can buy in supplement form. You need coq10 (oil based one), magnesium (easily absorbable form like mag glycinate, taurate or malate), acetyl l carnitine (amino acid), ribose (a simple sugar), vitamin B3 and nadh. These and a healthy diet should overcome most of the malaise very quickly. Here's the article if you're interested, it's called "CFS is Heart Failure Secondary to Mitochondrial Malfunction":

http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/DrMyhill-373.pdf

Difference between malaise and depression? Malaise means you don't have the energy to play with the kitty. Depression means you don't feel like it in the first place.

gotta go, time for more veggies (another healing secret)

karen

3. MsE

MsE New Member

Your information is appreciated. Also, based on your analogy of playing with the kitty, maybe I AM depressed. I don't feel like it. I'm saving the info and the website you gave. Thanks again.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

No, I'm not having sad thoughts. Just don't have the energy, and it seems to be mental as well as physical, to do much. Made myself take a couple of short walks today, but haven't been able to do a darned thing since. It all just seems to be too much.
  5. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

To me, there's a huge difference. When I'm depressed, I don't want to do things, and if I do, I still have negative thoughts. When I have malaise however, I'm too damn sick to be depressed: my body aches, my brain won't work, my eyes cloud up, and I have only enough energy to take care of basic needs. So, I have slowed everything down in my life to avoid the malaise as much as possible. Sounds like you have malaise. REST. Take care. Marie
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

This bad spell has been going on since January 1. It feel as though I made it through the holidays and then collapsed. Now all I do is lie on the sofa and read or watch TV until I get a bit of energy. Then I do the minimum of what I have to do. Today and yesterday I was able to take short walks in the snow.

That's another problem: wind storms and snow storms in the Pacific Northwest. I don't feel like I'm a safe driver on slick roads any longer, and as a result I've been housebound most of the time. On the other hand, the bad weather gives me an excuse to just lie around without anyone knowing it. My condition embarrasses me. But I guess that's true of a lot of us.

I'm just tired of it all. I don't want to do this any longer. I'm not sick enough to make it count, and I'm too sick to live normally. I'm angry. CFIDS, if that's what it is and sometimes I doubt the doctor's diagnosis, has made a semi-invalid out of me. I hate this! Something just has to change!