Male FM sufferers: Do you have prostate troubles?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMHoosier, Jul 27, 2003.

1. FMHoosier

FMHoosier New Member

This question is for my son, who is 29. (I, his Mom, have FM & suspect that he may be leading to it.) He has been having swollen prostate since he was a jr. in HS. He has been to the family doc many times & a urologist, several. They told him to eliminate all caffeine---period. Lately, they have been giving him medicated enimas. He is lactose intolerant, for gosh sakes! All this does is end up giving him bloody stools!! After 1-2 wks, the pain goes away until the next episode. So I've been wondering if this is a symptom of FM in males? (Since so many of us females have "female problems".) Would appreciate some input from you guys &/or wives of guys w/FM.
    Thanks for any help you can give!
    Nancy
  2. Boxplayer

Boxplayer New Member

Hi Nancy -- yes, I am a 52 y.o. male with FM and I have prostrate problems. That's the bad news. The good news is that the prostrate problems have been spaced pretty far between (infections, pain). I don't know that they are linked, but I have had both for quite a while. Tell your son that after a while the prostrate problems diminished all by itself, and now only occassionally acts up. I hope this will be the case for him as well.

Best of luck! -- Dan
  3. FMHoosier

FMHoosier New Member

...for replying. I hope I'm wrong about Chris having FM, but so far he's inherited all the bad stuff from both my husband & myself. I guess time will tell. Again, thanks!
    Nancy
  4. monom

monom Member

Yes I had it in young age 29 and lasted for several years,

it was painful and after treatments went away.

Monom
  5. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED W/CFIDS...... POSSIBLE FM..... I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING DIFFICULTIES W/ PROSTATE. MAIN PROBLEM WHERE I LIVE.... MOST DRS. HERE DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPELL FM OR CFIDS...... THANKS FOR ENCOURAGING WORDS..... OTHER MALE RESPONDER..(SORRY BOXPLAYER BRAIN FOG SPACED YOU NIC.).... I HOPE YOU ALL LIVE IN A MORE ENLIGHTENED AREA THAN I DO...... TAKE CARE !!!!!! BILLCAMO.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2003]
  6. FMHoosier

FMHoosier New Member

I have a couple of questions:

Monom: what kind of treatments worked for you?

BILLCAMO: what kind of difficulties?

Chris has swelling & severe pain. It gets bad enough that he can hardly walk & definitely can't work (he's a brick mason).

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Nancy
  7. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

I WAS SO SLOW TO RESPOND......MY PROSTATE PROBLEMS ARE NOT AS BAD AS YOUR SON'S...... ONE THING I HAVE EXPERIENCED & FOUND OUT IS YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY...... AT LEAST SOME DRS. TEND TO "TUNNEL VISION " & FOCUS ON ONE ASPECT OF THE MULTITUDE OF PROBLEMS THESE DD'S CREATE...... THE MANY SYMPTOMS OF THESE DD'S ARE THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEMS..... THE PROBLEMS HAVE / DO NOT CAUSE THE DISEASE... SO MANY QUESTIONS...... SO FEW ANSWERS..... ALL A PERSON CAN DO IS KEEP DOING THEIR BEST..... & TRY NOT TO BE TOO FRUSTRATED BY THE FACT IT'S NOT AS GOOD AS YOU USED TO BE ABLE TO DO.... AS LONG AS YOU ARE ALIVE , YOU HAVE A CHANCE !!!!! THAT'S ALL MY BRAIN FOG WILL LET ME SAY FOR NOW...... THINK OF SOMETHING FUNNY & TRY TO SMILE !!!! POSITIVE SMILES OFTEN HELP ME...... BLESSINGS & TAKE CARE !!!!!! BILLCAMO
  8. AC77

AC77 New Member

I am around your sons age. I dont have prostate problems. I take a medication for hair regrowth called Propecia (finasteride) however, which also shrinks the prostate gland. It is marked in 5mgs caps by Merck for the Prostate and 1mgs for hair regrowth.

It's a complicated issue to explain, but the finasteride reduces the amount of dihydrotestosterone which is a direct cause and effect relationshuip with the prostate.

I know this isnt related to your sons condtion. Just giving you an FYI

Good luck
  9. FMHoosier

FMHoosier New Member

Something I've been wondering about. My son took Cloraphenamirine(sp?)--which contained phenopropamine (sp?) that was taken off the market a few yrs back-- for his sinuses from age 8 to 18. One of the known side effects is sterility in males. Wondering if there is a connection here? I'll bring this up to him next time he goes to dr. so he can ask.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer!
    Nancy
  10. sujay

sujay New Member

Search the net for nanobacter, and see what you think.
  11. massmike

massmike New Member

Hi,

I am 35 yo and have had prostate problems since I was 24. I saw 4 urologists and really did not get alot of help from them. The meds and anitbiotics always seemed to complicate things, and didnt make me better. I can tell you it is extremely frustrating. I have found that taking Cranactin, drink lots of water, avoid spicy foods, caffeine, regular walks, avoid alcohol, saw palmetto all can help.

Tell your son that I feel for him. It can be tough to deal with.

Mike