Male or Female Rheumatologists? - Reno?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jamr11, Sep 4, 2003.

1. jamr11

jamr11 New Member

Hi Everyone!
    This is my first topic post, and the first thing I want to do is acknowledge all of you who participate in this terrific Message Board! You are ALL an encouragement to new members like me... thanks so much! Here's wishing improved health to you and relief from your pain and fatigue.

Is anyone familiar with the rheumatologists in the Reno NV area? There's only a couple of them who are accepting new patients. I have to wait until December to see one!

After experiencing very uncomfortable head, neck, throat, back and chest symptoms and trigger points which in turn caused terrible anxiety, my internist finally gave me a referral to a woman rheumy. My initial thought was that she - being of my gender - may be less inclined to disregard my complaints. I've since heard from an ex-patient of hers that she can have an uncaring attitude.

What do you think... should I go with her or look for another rheumy? And, to stir the pot a little... what's your opinion of male vs. female rheumatologists? I'm definitely not a feminist and actually prefer a male doctor in most cases, but my experience with FM symptoms has been that most of my male doctors give me that "it's all in your head" look and write me an Rx for more anti-depressants!