Males - androgen therapy-CFS - XMRV ?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bct, Apr 22, 2010.

1. bct

bct Active Member

In light of recent studies it seems that people with CFS should not take androgens or estrogens because they trigger the replication of the XMRV retrovirus.

I am male, have had CFS since '94, was dx'd with low-testosterone bio-availability last year. I have now been put on Androgel - a testosterone supplement. I am very concerned that this may exacerbate my CFS condition - which is pretty bad.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Are any other men here on androgens?

[This Message was Edited on 04/22/2010]
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I dont think anyone really knows the answer to your question. I do know that with low testosterone your going to feel pretty bad as well. I think getting it to the normal range cant be any worse for u then most males with normal testosterone and xmrv. Another thing when on trt is to make sure your estrogen levels dont go too high which can happen when on testosterone levels go up. this can make u feel just as bad as low test.

Heres a good link to trt, although i dont think they would know much about xmrv but its got good info, read the sticky about trt:a recipe for success,