Malic Acid and Aluminum Toxicity

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Someone here, sorry but I don't remember her name, recommended magnesium and malic acid. I got some from the local health food store to see if I felt that it helped me. I've taken it for three days and can say that I feel clearer headed! I'll definitely get my next supply from ProHealth.

I was also told that aluminium in our system binds yeast. Aluminum from pans, utensils and deoderant just to name a few. I just did some research on malic acid (found in apples) and it helps the body to rid itself of aluminum.

I think this is good news! Thank you, whoever you are, for telling us about it.

Marta

2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I've tried a blend w/ malic before. It was "Fibro M", by Organica, and has siberian ginseng and bromelain too. Looked like a good combo for pain/inflammation, and seemed to make morning stiffness less the first few days, then it turned and caused pain.

I'm not sure if it is the chelating effect you mentioned that malic acid has. I got the same pain from fresh marshmallow root, which is high in pectin where malic acid is derived from. Again it could be the chelating effect. But I also read that an accidental form of MSG comes from the processing of malic acid, and that made me think that could have been it too. I'm very allergic to MSG.

Jeanne
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Sorry it didn't work for you and it's still early days for me. But! So far so good.

Marta
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've been recommending magnesium for so long I'm sure I annoy people by now.

I've also just started highly recommending the Fibro Complete Multi with Malic Acid cause I've had amazing results with this too.

I think I'll go bump my own post again because I really think we need to start with the basics and a great multi vitamin is a great place to start. (and especially when they give such good results as this one has for me)

I've been so sick this past 2 years that I didn't even REMEMBER that they HAD a store here!!!!!

Now I'm gardening, trimming hedges on a ladder, going out for lunch and even all in one day. Today it's grocery shopping and I've been showering ever day too.

I don't mean to imply that this vitamin alone helped this much, I did stop all aspartame products, increased my natural food intake dramatically, stopped almost all processed foods and quit smoking too.

And I'm overdue for a remission!!! But I did feel a difference within 2 days of taking this multi and hubby felt a small spark too.

This is amazing for me, I just need to see if the hot weather with no air conditioning is gonna put me back down for another year, but I'm hopeful that it won't.

I will however, continue with this wonderful multi as long as they keep making it.

Hugs,

Nancy
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for replying, Nancy. Sorry I couldn't think of you name but then.... well, you know.

It was because of you that I bought the mag. and malic acid. I was a bit concerned about a bunch of ingredients in the ProHealth variety so I thought I'd try some locally with just mag. and malic acid, then go from there.

I did post a question in your thread and maybe you answered it (see above re: memory...) about whether the ProHealth MULTI was a mulit-VITAMIN or multi-MINERAL. I think it's the latter so you'd still want a multi-vitamin with it.

I'm always leary about bragging up something because after 11 years I'm still sick, you know? But this has been very special for me. My mind is much clearer and I feel more....peaceful, less easily rattled - and I'd become Nervous Nelly. Not now.

Like you, I've changed my diet too, and I'm taking 2,000 iu of D, so it may be a combination of things for me. I don't think any of us with find just one thing to help us anyway. I did begin the mag and malic acid days before the D and noticed a change then though, so I'm comfortable recommmending it.

I know nothing about a connection with MSG, do you?

Anyway, thank you! PS. I've been taking magnesium forever. It's the malic acid that's made a difference.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 06/15/2006]
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I just checked at the Pro Health Store and it is a Multi Vitamin (not multi mineral supp)

You know....I'm not really one to toot the horn either, but I've been so darn sick for so long with this almost 2 year flare that I had to.

It's like knowing the best sale is out there and not telling your best friend about it, ya know???

Most on here who know me know how much I've gone through and how sick I've been. Much of this flare was guaranteed with certain things that were going on at home but obviously, we still have to try to get better.

I've been too sick to really "get" what people like Stormy were talking about but with my Hypothyroid being treated now I've got some brain power back, enough to get started trying things on my own body.

People come on here for the first time, tout some amazing difference in their health, then disappear forever.

With me, most know what I've been going through, know how important it is for me to get better NOW so if something is working for me, I've got to shout it out.

I just never knew a multi-vitamin could make such a difference. I've been taking them for years basically just as a habit but wow, this one is amazing.

We all have to do what works best for us with this DD. We all have to go through the steps, see what works and try what looks like it might.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  7. baanders

baanders New Member

I take malic acid,
    coQ10
    vitamins E, Ester-C
    Calcium with magnesium
    acidophilus pearls
    multi

baanders
  8. sues1

sues1 New Member

And they contribute to research from the profits...

From their site:

ENERGIZE & STRENGTHEN MUSCLE HEALTH
    100% pure Malic Acid
    Support Healthy Muscle function
    Promotes Energy Production

Your Purchase Funds Research

Description Label Info

Malic acid is a fruit derived acid that plays an essential role in the production of energy and helps remove high levels of phosphorous and aluminum from the body.
    Malic Acid and Energy

Malic Acid has an oxygen sparing effect and there are a number of indications that malic acid allows the body to produce ATP even under low oxygen (hypoxic) conditions. Malate –a molecule that contains malic acid – falls significantly in concentration during exhaustive physical activity. By supplementing malic acid in the diet, flexibility to use aerobic and anaerobic energy sources can be enhanced and energy production can be boosted.

Detoxifying with Malic Acid

Malic acid can also protect against the toxic effects of aluminum and phosphorous. Because of its affinity for phosphate groups, aluminum blocks the utilization of phosphate for ATP (energy) synthesis. Adequate malic acid can prevent this toxic effect from occurring. Malic acid is one of the most potent chelators of aluminum and was the most effective of several chelators tested at reducing aluminum levels in the brain. Treatment with malic acid has been shown to greatly increase the fecal and urinary excretion of aluminum and reduce the concentration of aluminum found in various organs and tissues.

=================Label says:

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Product & Usage Information:

Daily Use: As a source of malic acid, take two tablets with a glass of water one hour before breakfast and at bedtime, or as recommended by your health care professional.
    Shelf Life: 2 years
    Inactive Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, dibasic calcium phosphate, stearic acid, colloidal silicon dioxide and magnesium stearate.
    Initial Source: Apples
    Processing: Blended with fillers, cold pressed, and tablets are coated.
    Contains No: artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
    Contraindications: None known

================
    I hope this helps. You can check out the store by clicking onto STORE on the tabs at the top of the page.

I hope this helps. Aluminum cookware has been a suspect in Alzheimer's. Makes a person wonder with our problems for sure!
    Blessings..........Susan

9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Nancy, good to hear from you again. Thanks for checking out the ProHealth supplement. Maybe if I looked at it now I'd be able to decipher it. lol If it's a multi-VITAMIN (with the mag and m.a.) I'm ordering it now.

baanders, yes, you have a good combo going there. Next time you need a supplement try the ProHealth multi.

Susan, Nancy was referring to the magnesium and malic multi that ProHealth has here called Fibro Complete Mulit With Malic Acid. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of B-12 !(it doesn't say how much and I'm very sensitive to B-12) but I'm still going to get some.

Enjoy this better health, friends!

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2006]
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

There are 250mcg of B-12 in the Fibro Complete Multi with Malic Acid.

I just checked for ya.

So if you're looking, each item has a front page, then you can click on "Label Info" for more detailed information.

They also tell you about drug interactions etc... so when you purchase, it's an informed decision.

Often there's a page for Frequently Asked Questions and people rate the product too.

They also offer money back guarantee if you don't like them.

I've ordered so many things from Pro Health lately it's amazing but I feel so good right now and anything I can do to try to help hubby is worth the money.

Hugs,

Nancy
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thank you, Nancy. I didn't know that the label of supplements was viewable there. How good of them to do that. I sent for them anyway.

I keep forgetting to tell you what a pretty lady you are and how sweet the little fur baby is on your lap in your profile picture. One day I'll post a photo - after I get through this flare, get a digital camera, have someone take a picture of me, then figure out how to post it. For now think ........ Mary Tyler Moore. ;>)

Marta
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Is that MTM before or after the zillion plastic surgeries she's had over the years???

Hopefully before and hopefully I didn't offend with this schtupid question...

And thanks, but I look about 20 pounds bigger right about now. I'm trying hard not to worry too much since I am hypothyroid (pretty new at it) and I did quit smoking too.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Nancy: You quit smoking!!!!!!!! Wonderful! GOOD job! It's hard, isn't it? I loved to smoke; that is, I loved the comfort smoking gave me and the increased serotonin. I did not love the coughing or the smell in my hair, on my clothes or in the garage where I'd banished myself and I did not love the cost.

If they came up with a healthy, good smelling cigarette that cost 50 cents a pack, I'd be on my way to the store right now.

On good days that would be MTM before the surgeries. On bad days, think now. lol

Holly: Interesting about the Epson Salts. Do you sleep better? How much do you use per soak? I think the apples and sauce are good too. When I was in college somebody, I don't remember who, had a project going to prove or disprove the old addage: An apple a day keeps the doctor away. I lasted a week before I had to either drop out of the apple experiment or my classes because I was spending so much time in the bathroom!

How do you know you can't tolerate malic acid, Holly? What happens?

Marta
  14. borntired

borntired New Member

Hi,

I had a Rheumy in Ocala Florida who gave me weekly injections of Magnesium Sulfate and Lidacane. It
    helped to ward off cramping.

I take CALM which is Magnesium. I get it at the health food store. But I will try Malic acid.
  15. sues1

sues1 New Member

Fibro Complete Mulit With Malic Acid is what I was speaking of. I guess I did not state that well. Sorry,,,

It is on sale right now....

Love and gentle hugs.......Susan
  16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Sue, no problem. It should be wending its way to me as we speak!

I THINK wending is a word............... I seem to remember it used to be.

Marta
  17. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to how much to take of each supplement. After looking at the online store I notice there is a lot less magnesium and malic acid in the fibro multi vit supplement than there is in ones I am taking. Can anyone enlighten me please? I currently take 350mg manesium , 500mg malic acid and a strong B complex but dont find its really helping after 3 weeks.

Thanks
  18. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have been taking magnesium oxide, and it does help a little bit with my pain and muscle stiffness. It also keeps my blood pressure and pulse rate from skyrocketing. But I haven't noticed ANY improvement in brain fog.

Is malic acid better for this?
  19. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It is confusing! but what you want is a combination of the two in one capsule. There's one here sold by ProHealth that has mag and malic acid in combination with other vitamins. Nancy likes that one. That may be what you need, or I found the best one for me is an excellent product called Fibralgia made by Nature's Sunshine at around $16 a bottle of 90 capsules each containing 80 mgs of mag and 350 mgs of malic acid. I got it at my health food store.

This past month I had to quit taking supplements for surgery (crazy if you ask me) and I could really tell the difference when I stopped taking that one. I stopped it last, of course... ;>)

Marta
  20. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I will definitely check that out!